It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory on Cats / Dogs / Car Rides

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I has a theory about cats, dogs and car rides.
I'm sure most of us have noticed that dogs tend to love car rides, especially if they can stick their nose out the window.
It occurs to me that dogs are smell-centric (not sure of the technical term-odiferous?), which means they use their sense of smell a lot. Riding along is probably the dog equivalent of going to a movie; every smell tells a story.
Cats are not very smell oriented. They are hearing oriented (note the big upright ears; they hunt rodents in the grass etc.). Being in a vehicle with the rumbling engine and tire on road noise to a cat might be like stuffing a person in a room and blasting death metal at them. Plus they are constricted, which they hate.
Any thoughts?
edit on 21-7-2015 by works4dhs because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2015 by works4dhs because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2015 by works4dhs because: 'out the window' gets cut off?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: works4dhs

I have also heard that dogs actually "get high" (neurotransmitters start firing off) because of the way the wind goes into their eyes (not sure how true this is).

I also think because cats are so constricted as you've mentioned, car rides really aren't fun for them. the commotion and noise could certainly have an effect as well - great theory!

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
An additional difference;
Dogs are naturally pack animals, so they're quite happy to travel along with somebody else.
A cat wants to go off by himself and explore. Trapped in a car, he can't.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I had to chuckle as this reminded of the one and only cat I ever had who loved to go for rides in the car. Other cats would be scared to death or just very pissy. LOL

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
My cat likes to sleep at my feet in long car rides. Every now and then she gets up to stare at the landscape. She is so fascinated by 18 wheelers she accidentally hit the window button and scared herself!

top topics

join