It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chattanooga shooting: New details emerge about the gunman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Uh oh. Starting to look like Mr. Mayor and the U.S. Attorney might have seriously jumped the gun during their initial press conference.

Details are starting to emerge that point to the shooter suffering with depression and suicidal thoughts. Some writings have been found that point to dissatisfaction with the war on terror, and others have been found that point to a person giving serious consideration to suicide.

The family says the shooter was bipolar as well as being a drug abuser. Friends are stating that not only was he not an ISIL supporter but that he had told them he believed ISIL was an affront to Islam.

Curiouser and curiouser....

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

And yet five people died, others were wounded, and many individuals and families were emotionally scarred. Depressed and bipolar, what was it in him that he couldn't just go his merry way and leave other people alone. Tragic all around, and bound to be repeated by others who have hate and fear eating at their thought process.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

From the information coming forward, the perpetrator of the killings of those Marines seems to have more in common with Jared Lee Loughner (who shot Gabby Giffords and several other folks some years back) than he does with ISIL members.

It is important however, to ensure that we make clear distinctions between terrorism, and pure unadulterated, ideology free madness.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Spot on. That's why I made an effort to note who said what in the initial press conference (which was literally minutes after the shootings took place). The FBI SAC took pains to make it clear that they were handling it as an investigation to determine whether it was an act of terror or a criminal act.

I think it important to note that the ones handling the actual investigation are not the ones who have applied the terror label to the event thus far. The bureau gets slated a lot (and rightfully so) but this particular SAC seems to have a good head about him, even when two others are trying to label the event.

I had commented just yesterday that we hadn't seen much coming out in the way of motivation for the act, and then this information is released. Certainly fortuitous.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Nice post and good points. I fear the cat is already out of the bag, based on public reactions and private citizens / militia standing watch outside of recruiting centers in plate carriers toting their ARs.

I'm saying even if it turns out this was a criminal act of an addicted, bi-polar individual, in the public eye this was an ISIS terror attack and proves they are on our soil and it is time to drum the tune of fear and public outcry...

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Uh oh. Starting to look like Mr. Mayor and the U.S. Attorney might have seriously jumped the gun during their initial press conference.

Details are starting to emerge that point to the shooter suffering with depression and suicidal thoughts. Some writings have been found that point to dissatisfaction with the war on terror, and others have been found that point to a person giving serious consideration to suicide.

The family says the shooter was bipolar as well as being a drug abuser. Friends are stating that not only was he not an ISIL supporter but that he had told them he believed ISIL was an affront to Islam.

Curiouser and curiouser....

www.cnn.com...

Well, wow, that's great news! Now the MSM has what it needs to entirely gloss over and sweep away the connection to radical islam or self-radicalising muslim terrorist. I'd bet that before long we'll be told that they're looking for an accomplice believed to be a member of Aryan Nation or the KKK.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Hmmm.

Sounds like the intense recruiting and training paid off.

He had many people convinced he was not involved !!!!

Standard operating procedure indeed.

edit on Jul-21-2015 by xuenchen because: --_o_--

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

I for one will not live in fear, nor be suspicious of everyone. It's not the American way. It's not the America that I wore the uniform to protect. There is no guarantee of safety in anything we do every day.

In reference to the OP: I'm glad this is coming out. Will stay tuned for more details as they are released.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Given ISIL's love of attention, I feel like his having been radicalized would be pretty obvious to those around him. I don't see them ever telling somebody "hey we're going to radicalize the hell out of you and then send you off to kill people but you better not let anybody know it's us."

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

We just uncovered their hidden secrets I think.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
How do we know he didn't just act like he supported ISIL so not to attract attention to himself? I also find it odd that the guy had a beard when he committed this act of terror. Don't most Muslims who become radicalized start growing beards? Maybe this was a physical sign after he returned from visiting family in Jordon. The coincidence with him being Muslim, depressed, abusing drugs and a hate for the U.S. government, and the attack on military personal to me just sounds like he was easily taken in by ISIL.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

We just uncovered their hidden secrets I think.

* RULE 3: “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.” Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty

Best of Beck - Alinsky's Rules for Radicals

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Yup.

ISIS is catching on fast.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Yup.

ISIS is catching on fast.

They probably read ATS and posters like you!

Great example of how to use Alinsky properly, as always!

Did you have anything concrete to say about the shooter?

OP's info seems to wrap up the question of whether the man was "radicalized" or not.

Why, other than your adherence to Alinskyan tactics, would you try to insinuate connections to ISIL for which there is absolutely no evidence.

Notice what's on the sides of your screen? DENY IGNORANCE!

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Ya because Daesh are shy and reclusive.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
And why should we believe anything his family said? If I remember correctly, his father is an Hamas sympathizer, donated to "the cause", and was on the US terror watch list for some time.

If he was just out looking for someone to kill, why did he target our servicemen?

Didn't ISIS or some other radical muslim bunch declare last year that they will target military families within the US and kill them? I hope our FBI is not as stupid and as gullible as our president and are seeing this for what it is.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Why should we believe anything anybody says?

What is the meaning of meaning?

How do we know what we know?

Great philosophical questions can be a great mental exercise, or they can be used merely to diffuse the facts and befuddle the intellectually weak.

This shooter was an American citizen. Just like the men who died. Some jingoists don't like that fact, but sometimes, Americans kill Americans.

I am amazed at the willingness to use this tragedy as nothing more than shrill partisan BS.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I called the mental illness angle the day it happened....the thread was 404'd....but I was getting lambasted for my thoughts. I also predicted that he obtained the murder weapon at a gun show and without a background check. I bet that also proves to be true.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Say it all you want Gryphon. Make yourself feel good with your pseudo psychological babble. Stick your head in the sand all day long. If you can't see the differences in this Muhammed creep, then you're hopeless. Carry on. This MUST be investigated differently.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace
I called the mental illness angle the day it happened....the thread was 404'd....but I was getting lambasted for my thoughts. I also predicted that he obtained the murder weapon at a gun show and without a background check. I bet that also proves to be true.

So, you're going for the "False Flag to Promote Gun Control" rather than "Islamic Terrorism in Ze Homeland" angle?

I knew that was going to be a tough one for some of us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join