It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is usually just as scam to make people afraid of their own Power

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Syyth007

I don't claim to be a theologian, and my understanding of Christ's life and teachings are of importance in my life. As he lived the life of Man, he imparted wisdom and lessons on how man should treat each other, care for those unable to do so, and parables to explain much of it. Too many churches/sects have twisted his words to fit an agenda, to scare people, or deconstruct their spiritual being to be reformed in someone's image. That is why I'm not a member of any specific church.

Thing is, I personally don't believe Christianity is the "right one"(South Park said Mormon is it!), and many core beliefs seem to transcend many religions(take care of fellow man, murder, etc.). I don't believe(personally) that Jesus' intent is to exclude people from his Kingdom, unless they refute the belief he died so our sins may be forgiven. To be totally honest with you, I am grateful for all that I am, and all that has been given me. Many would scoff at my belief that I am who I am because of God, and that bond I have is predicated on faith.

In the end, I strive to be a better husband, father, brother, neighbor and son, and I do so with total free will. I choose to follow his teachings to guide me to be that better human, and my moral compass is steady as a result of it.
I don't look down on others with different belief systems, nor do I feel superior to my fellow man. I'm just a simple man whose life has been enriched by my faith and try to make the lives of people around me better if I'm able.

Thanks for the dialogue--I don't speak on this topic in public often, our conversation has been civil and respectful, unlike past discussions.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

Thank you for your responses. It's a great thing that your beliefs are being used in a creative, constructive, way for yourself and others.

My thread is more about those people who use religious scriptures to control and take away others power/self-esteem for their own benefit.

Like I said,

Keep in mind, I am not claiming every sect of every religion is like this or that every individual who believes in a religion is like this.

I'm also not against Jesus himself. I like the teaching about the faith to move mountains, to love others as ourselves, in fact even my belief that "ye are gods" is a quote from Jesus (John 10:34), I'm more against quoting religious scriptures to disempower and take advantage of others.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

There is God and there is you.
a reply to: ketsuko
There is nothing that is not GOD. Everything and every being.

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: duh

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
This OP is proof of that timeless adage- "opinions.... everybody has one".

If you could simply take the time to open up a book on theology, or do anything to edify yourself beyond a pitiful myopic understanding of religion based on casual riflings through Internet forums, you wouldn't be posting topics like this. The goal of religion is the same as it always has been.... and hopefully you can discover what that goal is, on your own.

The knowledge comes first, and then you will have the right to a valid opinion.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Drest

A book of theogy? Theology is the study of the concept/nature of God and everyone has their opinion about the "real" view of God. Just because I don't agree with the books you read, doesn't mean I'm ignorant about what theology is.

What an assumption!

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
"I am God."

Your God will die one day...hehe

"I am the creator of my own life experience."
"I have power within my hands."

Very true, but I think that is not really religion just the facts of life

"I create my own miracles."

I don't believe in miracles or luck... If you do the first two lines of your mantra you need neither.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Drest
The knowledge comes first, and then you will have the right to a valid opinion.

Please enlighten me to what opinions you're treating as fact, and why.

Until you can empirically prove your opinion, it's just that, an opinion.

Just another religious/theological/spiritual opinion.

No more "right or wrong" than arpgme's beliefs, imo.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I don't think I saw how the OP came to this Idea, but if I recall I have seen ( Or rather heard ) quite a few documentaries where people will say that religion keeps us from our true calling of being gods or even goddess. It wasn't on just one but multiple that seem to propose this idea, I think it is more of a new age with almost no backing as I don't recall any texts to back this up unless you move into the Alien field in which they say we are just transcending to the fourth dimension or something along those lines. So in case it wasn't answered I believe that is how the idea came to be.

As for my opinion on it? I don't know I was Baptist growing up, went to a light almost atheist view when I was having issues and now back to Christian. In the moment I can see how this idea can be quite accepted trying to be more powerful than what you are at this moment. Having control over your own destiny instead of being guided by the hand of God or even fate. So for the most part I'd say this is a phase that we all go through in a way wanting answers and wanting to do more with our lives when the chips are down.

-X

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

I catch one of your threads every so often, and tend to enjoy reading them. You have a very accepting, constructive viewpoint, from what I've gleaned. I've also noticed little changes here and there in regards to your beliefs. While I don't agree completely with the premise of the thread, S+F for calling religion out.

I do have a question. When you say we are Gods, we are the creators of our own life experiences, I have the power in my hands, I create my own miracles etc., do you mean in some metaphysical/supernatural sense? Or simply from the sense that we should all be taking charge of our lives in positive ways. Not in arrogance, claiming to have the power, but in confidence?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I started reading while thinking "another religious war thread to warm my face and watch fireworks at" however it actually appears that you have something to say here….

Nice touch!

Upon achieving the goals of self understanding you have outline here where should one look next?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer
In the history of my trolling on ATS this may be the best non-violent spiritual thread ever….

Hope it lasts!

Oops, guess I was too slow in posting; much happened while I was typing, relocating, …ing, …ing, and the thread has taken a severe religious intolerance turn….

Eeeek
edit on 20-7-2015 by notmyrealname because: V E R Y S L O W P O S T I N G

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer
Nice smooth reply, would it matter if the reasoning behind the OP was metaphysical or physical in nature?

As far as energy is concerned, there is no difference, right?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   
When I say "we are gods", I mean having faith in positive things being possible and being happy.

For example, if you lived in an ancient village and believed the Earth is flat, you would never see/travel to the other side unless you find reason to believe it isn't flat or by coincidence end up on the other side by mistake (I don't believe in coincidences, I believe every "mistake" we make or "random" event we walk into, benefits us in some way).

Beliefs, Perceptions/Understandings about the world influences action. If you believe something different, you will take different actions, hopefully more and more from freedom, joy, exploration, and love rather than fear, feeling oppressed and hurting others.

On a more spiritual level, I experience different energies. Sometimes I have dreams which manifest into reality (some would just call it "prediction" or "premonition from a dream").

I know belief affects reality and Dreams (for those of you on a spiritual path) can be a powerful way to learn more about yourself, your deep feelings about relationships with others, and symbolism and premonitions, even speaking to loved ones who passed away in a dream and getting information which turns out to be true.

I think it's important to examine belief systems, and way of thinking and hold to empowering and joyful ones and to gain inspiration/creativity/deeper understanding from dreams.

edit on 20-7-2015 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname
Oops, guess I was too slow in posting; much happened while I was typing, relocating, …ing, …ing, and the thread has taken a severe religious intolerance turn…

I can tolerate religion, in many instances. In those that I have no desire to tolerate it, there is little or nothing I can do about it. At least no more or less than anyone else. I am personally an atheist, and I find myself becoming more and more anti-theistic the more I interact with the religious. That isn't to say I despise them (at least not all of them). Something like that is better focused on a case by case assessment of their beliefs. I respect their right to believe in whatever they want. I do not respect the belief itself (well, depending). However, there are some elements that are positive. But those positive aspects don't require the religion. So who needs it?

Nice smooth reply, would it matter if the reasoning behind the OP was metaphysical or physical in nature?

I probably used wrong terminology. My question is basically trying to understand if the OP's view is that as Gods we have the powers attributed to Gods. Can I turn my water to wine? Walk on water? Or does the OP mean we are Gods in an uplifting, self empowering type of way?

ETA: Which the OP clears up in above post.

edit on 7-20-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

originally posted by: notmyrealname
Oops, guess I was too slow in posting; much happened while I was typing, relocating, …ing, …ing, and the thread has taken a severe religious intolerance turn…

I can tolerate religion, in many instances. In those that I have no desire to tolerate it, there is little or nothing I can do about it. At least no more or less than anyone else. I am personally an atheist, and I find myself becoming more and more anti-theistic the more I interact with the religious. That isn't to say I despise them (at least not all of them). Something like that is better focused on a case by case assessment of their beliefs. I respect their right to believe in whatever they want. I do not respect the belief itself. However, there are some elements that are positive. But those positive aspects don't require the religion.

I probably used wrong terminology. My question is basically trying to understand if the OP's view is that as Gods we have the powers attributed to Gods. Can I turn my water to wine? Walk on water? Or does the OP mean we are Gods in an uplifting, self empowering type of way?

ETA: Which the OP clears up in above post.

Actually I was not being facetious in my comment; I liked your segway for personal reasons however I was not criticizing your question. (kinda read both ways, Oops)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

It's all good. I didn't think you thought I was being intolerant because I hadn't said anything that could be construed as such.

ETA: Though I guess now, I have revealed a level of intolerance.

edit on 7-20-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Thanks for clearing that up, well said.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

And just how old do you actually think God is, if he is in anyway the creative individual religious people claim he is? There are a number of these God's around, God himself, yahweh and allah seem to be the ones up for supreme grabs. However the Eastern Gods seem to be more sensible if one looks into their roles in the public eye, but going back to our original three in the west, is one better than the other, higher up the pole-of-gods?

Can anyone with a brain cell actually believe the dogma that the religiosity have spun about these individuals - always a 'he' who sees everything you do - my god he must be bored out of his bonnet and probably disgusted spying on us.

Most people, purely because of their being brainwashed when children, simply hedge their bets for when they die because they have no other model to use when thinking about what happens to them at death. For a good number who aren't killed tragically, we just get worn out and are ready to die because we have had enough and want to fade away, but for some, they think they are going on to a party in the skies - I wonder if they realise just how ridiculous that concept actually is - as we can scan most of nearby space and there are no signs of party poppers anywhere out there.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Drest

Why use a book? they are written by men. I have never needed a book to know God.
OP is right religion is a money making scam even tells you in the first book of the bible give money to the priests.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

I agree 100! You wont be able to sway the holy rollers to your way of thinking. I'm not saying, you're trying to. I'm just saying. They have one track minds.. What did that someone say? hehe insanity! Doing the same thing every day, expecting a different outcome.... god/jesus..Is the worlds biggest imaginary friend. Even after, all the evangelical scams and exposures as fraudulent jesus freaks, holy rollers will still follow, something to believe in? missed loved one's, they long to see? Hoping their up in um geez heaven? Did you see the thread where the dude's not gay anymore and than it's party time? haha well........ Perfect example of our holy roller christian society functions. anyway....

We make our own future! We control our own lives and direction! Believe in yourself, realize your goals and dreams and go get it! I said this before out here, don't be chained down by ANY religion. you are the god of you! I am God of me! Do Sin!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join