It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine Just Put Welfare Leeches In Their Place

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
I would assume volunteering would be in local community centers, or picking up trash, or the like, not booting someone out of a job. That sort of thing wouldn't threaten anyone's paid job.

Who do you think picks up trash already? It doesn't magically get picked up.

A lot of that along the highways is already done by volunteers, or people on some sort of restitution sort of program,, in lieu of jail time. Volunteering in a homeless shelter is another option, or at hospitals, in their volunteer programs. There are plenty of places people volunteer that would work. We aren't talking about home trash pickup here.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

I would assume volunteering would be in local community centers, or picking up trash, or the like, not booting someone out of a job. That sort of thing wouldn't threaten anyone's paid job.

Who do you think picks up trash already? It doesn't magically get picked up.

A lot of that along the highways is already done by volunteers, or people on some sort of restitution sort of program,, in lieu of jail time. Volunteering in a homeless shelter is another option, or at hospitals, in their volunteer programs. There are plenty of places people volunteer that would work. We aren't talking about home trash pickup here.

I think you are missing the point that a lot of those volunteer activities used to be jobs. There is always lots of money for huge military boondoggles, but somehow not enough to feed your people. What if that money for arms, and interfering in other country's business went, instead, towards infrastructure projects? Good jobs, injecting money into the economy and taxes back to the government. Of course, it's a whole lot easier to blame the unfortunate than to do anything to improve their lot.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

No, highway cleaning has always been a job for prisoners and community service...some places may have privatized it, but for the most part it is a service provided by those completing a judicial sentence.

Edit: Oh, NM, you are from Canada. They don't have prisoners.

Also, there have always been hospital volunteer programs for hospitals. Candy Stripers jump out as one type of volunteer, typically done by teenage girls over the summer who want to be nurses or doctors one day, but in more recent times the term Candy Striper has just been changed to Hospital Volunteer and men and women volunteer.
edit on 24-7-2015 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

No, highway cleaning has always been a job for prisoners and community service...some places may have privatized it, but for the most part it is a service provided by those completing a judicial sentence.

Edit: Oh, NM, you are from Canada. They don't have prisoners.

Also, there have always been hospital volunteer programs for hospitals. Candy Stripers jump out as one type of volunteer, typically done by teenage girls over the summer who want to be nurses or doctors one day, but in more recent times the term Candy Striper has just been changed to Hospital Volunteer and men and women volunteer.

Just for clarity...we have prisoners, just not chain gangs doing road clean-up (wasn't that a shock when we saw it!). And I know about candy stripers, etc. But as one who engages in a fair amount of volunteer work, I have observed that which is being handed over to the volunteer sector which used to be paid for. I am careful that my (free) efforts do not jeopardise someone else's paying gig.

And prison labour is another fairly slimy enterprise...hence the growing popularity of prisons as private industries. My point is while it is legit to expect some kind of social contract with the administration of welfare payments, there are also a lot of slippery slopes that need to be kept in mind...especially those that end up making rich pukes richer.
edit on 24-7-2015 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
I think you are missing the point that a lot of those volunteer activities used to be jobs. There is always lots of money for huge military boondoggles, but somehow not enough to feed your people. What if that money for arms, and interfering in other country's business went, instead, towards infrastructure projects? Good jobs, injecting money into the economy and taxes back to the government. Of course, it's a whole lot easier to blame the unfortunate than to do anything to improve their lot.

Any work in a homeless shelter would be either volunteer or paid by tax dollars, most likely. In that case, if the work is available, then having someone getting welfare do it makes good sense. Has anyone stated that someone would be out of a job because of this new regulation? If not, then why is that being used as an argument? If so, proof, please.

Military spending is a topic for another thread.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Good they need to be put in their place.

The picture of the welfare leeches is rather fitting. I'm sure they took it outside the welfare bureau.
edit on 24-7-2015 by DindoNuffins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

When I volunteered at Red Cross, every day when I left the receptionist asked if I needed her to sign something for the court, iow she thought I was doing community service. They probably have more people doing involuntary volunteer work than voluntary volunteer work.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I was just thinking, I'd rather see them require couples counseling or even a dating service so instead of forcing a single parent to leave their family, they could get two parents.

<< 14  15  16   >>

join