It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't believe in pixies, is there a label for me, and is that a belief system?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
In the region of the UK I live there has been a long held belief in pixies:
en.wikipedia.org...

Before the mid-19th century, pixies and fairies were taken seriously in much of Cornwall and Devon. Books devoted to the homely beliefs of the peasantry are filled with incidents of pixie manifestations. Some locales are named for the pixies associated with them. In Devon, near Challacombe, a group of rocks are named for the pixies said to dwell there.

Indeed there are still annual festivals and rituals celebrating these mythical entities, and a decent trade in pixie trinkets and such like.
I know a couple of old folk who live in the moors and still believe they are real, although most rational folk doubt it these days.
The pixie folklore has been handed down through word of mouth for generations, but as far as evidence that is pretty much it.

Personally I don't believe in pixies because I have seen nothing in my life to draw me towards believing that they exist. I have an open mind though so if I met one myself or there was convincing evidence to show they exist then I would happily change my opinion. That is a logical position to take.

So I ask, is my lack of belief in pixies a belief system in itself, as often claimed for those who lack any belief in gods, or just rational thinking and an open mind looking at the evidence and finding nothing to draw one towards a belief?
And may I also ask what would be the label for one who does not believe in pixies, you know, like atheist for those who do not believe in gods?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
You pixieless heathen. You just have faith there are no pixie's. There are witnesses going back thousands of years, and writings going back just as far. You're just anti-pixie.

I shall pray to the pixie queen, that she will give you revelation.
edit on 7/19/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

A star and a flag along with kudos and pats on the back for you.

I believe in the existence of God. I find the energy expended by people to fight something that ostensibly does not exist to be both laughable and sad at the same time.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Of course pixies don't exist.
But piskies do. On the other side of the Tamar, you would know that.
If you are crossing Bodmin Moor and find yourself getting piskie-led, the solution is to turn your coat inside-out. Then they will lose track of you and release their grip, and you'll be able to find your way home again.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
I believe in the existence of God. I find the energy expended by people to fight something that ostensibly does not exist to be both laughable and sad at the same time.
This thread is about pixies, not any gods.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Pixies are just fairies. Fairies exist, they just made it legal for them to get married.

I know, it is a rude joke, I am just making a pun based on what people used to call gay guys long ago when I was a kid.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It's because of your lack of belief in Pixies that they are suffering and dying by the droves, in LahLah Land! Shame on you!
edit on 19-7-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
I know, I shall commence self-flagellation after a quick cup of tea.

a reply to: DISRAELI
Haha, true, I used the conventional internationally recognised spelling for these mythical creatures for ease of understanding.
...methinks you are one who is in the know, perhaps a piskie whisperer?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

So is my lack of belief in pixies a belief system then?
The majority of folk I know don't believe in them either...does that make it a religion?!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I'm half-Cornish. My grandfather was born within a stone's-throw of Land's End.
P.S. I've just checked an inherited book and found the alternative spelling Piskey.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

All Cornish from my dad's side, St Breock area, my surname is a dead giveaway.
...perhaps I should be ashamed about my lack of faith in piskies.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Antipixelationous Abinourmous seems to be your affliction.

Don't worry, Pfizer has a vaccination for that….

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly any subject in any forum can turn to religion.

As we are going there I would say that although I do not believe in Pixies it's a more rational idea than that of gods.

I know a few people that claim to have met pixies but am not inclined to take there opinion as fact just yet.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Hmm, sounds serious, maybe I should question my lack of faith, I wouldn't want to be put on any med's.
Possibly a better option just to pretend I believe, but remember I have never asserted pixies 'do not' exist, just that I have not been made aware of enough evidence to draw me towards believing.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly any subject in any forum can turn to religion.

This one was started in the Religion forum, so it was religion (or rather religion-parody) from the outset.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
my surname is a dead giveaway.

Are you Tre, Pol, or Pen? My grandfather was a Pen.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Haha, I'd be questioning those who 'met' pixies about any relationship with N,N-Dimethyltryptamine they might have.
...but I don't assert they do not exist so my position remains one which requires no faith.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Okay, I'll go there, 'Pen', but I'm stopping there haha

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
If you're a Penrose, we'd better go somewhere more private and talk family trees.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Opps

I'm wrong in this instance then.

I'll pop of and say it in another thread it won't take long to find one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join