It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How well do you know your neighbor? What are they capable of?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hypothetical scenarios are often useful for modelling the future. I do it frequently. I know it's hypothetical but you can explore certain areas of interaction with these exercises.

This came to me recently when considering the potential of severe climate change.

Let's set the stage a little... Americans really like Canadians. But....suddenly, the USA has drawn the short straw on climate change. The main impact is massive shortages of fresh water and plummeting agricultural production due to jet stream shifts. For whatever reason, the fickle climate favors Canada with water and more agricultural success.

Can anyone predict what the US government and it's citizens would do? Does anyone think US citizens' sense of entitlement would just melt away like the ice caps? What sort of character and restraint does America have when the chips are really down?

In my personal worldview, the US and it's citizens (and it's CorporateChristianGod) would turn on Canada so fast it would make your head spin. I'd like to say there is some moral limit to what America is capable of doing --I just can't think of any limits now.

Maybe someone out there can make a case that the US wouldn't violently annex Canada or surreptitiously overthrow the government and take over? If Canada has something that the US wants and needs, what comes next? I'm interested to read your thoughts on this.
edit on 17-7-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: spelling

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

In my personal worldview, the US and it's citizens (and it's CorpotateChristianGod) would turn on Canada so fast it would make your head spin. I'd like to say there is some moral limit to what America is capable of doing --I just can't think of any limits now.

Could be...

I think the only solid alliance the US has to another country is Israel.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Wow yeah interesting. But it's not just the US, but the New World Order might decide to invade your country for it's resources. Water, Food and Oil and gonna be a big deal for future generations and the UN seems to be taking over the planet. I have no ideas how this plays out, but it's not gonna be pretty.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Worst case scenario...thousands of U.S. citizens from northern border States crossover to Canada and then they complain to the U.S Embassy...The U.S. then takes a page out of the Nazi Blitzkrieg on Austria and immediately the Calvary comes to the rescue
..bye bye borders...you been annexed

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I've always believed that in a climate crisis scenario, that Canada would face the full brunt of 300 million U.S. Citizens.

I like the Canadians, but if worse came to worst, we would take every bit of water and fertile soil they have.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Why couldn't America just buy the water from Canada?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
We'd become Canada's Mexico.

Another political platform of boarder security, walls and illegal immigrants.

Could very well end up with Americans risking life and limb to pick Canadian crops for a dollar a day.
edit on 17-7-2015 by Wetpaint72 because: To add

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

The plan I read in 1982 which was written I think in 1964 was that eventually there would be a concentual reason for US troops to be on Canadian soil. The paper looked at everything from Russian or other foreign invasion forces to economic collapse causing social breakdown. It is interesting because Harper signed a bill allowing US troops for quelling civil unrest.

I think the US will annex Canada accordingly during economic collapse within the next 6 to 12 months. I've seen too many indicators that this is coming.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/17.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

The USA can't really turn on Canada. There exists such a thing as the Commonwealth of Nations, and turning on Canada would have every country under the monarchy declare war. USA can handle war with Canada, but what about Canada + UK + Australia + Germany + every middle eastern and asian country that hates the USA jumping on the chance? Even if every one of their 330 million citizens jumped on the chance, they'd be facing billions in opposition. Russia and Canada would form a very strong alliance.
edit on 17/7/15 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

We are not "solid" with Isreal. We are not on their FB friends list now. Obama # all over that relationship.

link   
DUPLICATE
edit on 1437167147Friday31Fri, 17 Jul 2015 16:05:47 -0500pmFriday0540431 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

link   
Triplicate
edit on 1437167187Friday31Fri, 17 Jul 2015 16:06:27 -0500pmFriday0640431 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

We are not "solid" with Isreal. We are not on their FB friends list now. Obama # all over that relationship.

Obama hasn't been relevant for quite some time...the neocons are still in control. Check out the names of the real power brokers on the neocons roster.

en.wikipedia.org...

and if the neocons want our northern Neighbor...they got it.
edit on 17-7-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I knew there was a reason that every time I move, I'm further north. ...that southern border may become a danger zone. It's the instinct of self preservation..

I can handle threats from over the northern sea - I have vodka!
What do we bribe American soldiers with?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Can anyone predict what the US government and it's citizens would do?

I believe a new free trade agreement would be established perhaps modelled after this: upload.wikimedia.org...

Does anyone think US citizens' sense of entitlement would just melt away like the ice caps?

That is generalized and unfair statement to lump all Americans into one pile. To be fair, I have taken a few shots against the ideologies that exist within that nation supported by people who choose to voice their twisted opinions on social media, but that does not mean I see all Americans in such a way. I know that for every Sarah Palin that exist in America, there are one Million Tina Fey's that exist. I know that for every Donald Trump, there are one Million Ron Paul's. For every one bad cop; there are 100 good cops. Just like any first world nation, there exist people who live with an unconscious sense of entitlement due to societal (encultured) programming.

Now, a nation such as America that makes up about 6% of the world's total global population, yet consumes 60% of the world's resources, can easily be viewed as a nation (as a whole) that possesses a sense of entitlement. But, I like to believe most of the everyday American people do not possess this mindset.

What sort of character and restraint does America have when the chips are really down?

Probably the same character and restraint as any other nation would posses. Perhaps, the response would be something similar to the protest in Greece atm, or Egypt's Arab Spring uprising. But, then again, considering the amount of murders due to gun violence in Chicago (just one city) this past month alone, where none of the OP's hypothetical issues are taking place, just might indicate what kind of response would be expected and demonstrated.

All first world basic needs are presently being met in Chicago, and yet, look at the dark violence and chaos taking place in the City of Lights. If some Americans can be so violent on good days, just imagine what they would do on a real bad day...

What sort of character and restraint does America have when the chips are really down?

I believe the 2004 East Coast Blackout (which hit us here as well for 14+ hrs ) might show that they come together when chips (or grid) is down. However, that was only for a day...

In my personal worldview, the US and it's citizens (and it's CorporateChristianGod) would turn on Canada so fast it would make your head spin. I'd like to say there is some moral limit to what America is capable of doing --I just can't think of any limits now.

Canada is part of the Common Wealth Nations, we have Great Britain watching over us and the U.S does not want to lose its biggest and most powerful ally (2nd to them in power) along with the countries that would lean towards helping Britain and Canada in such a scenario. We (the UK and Canada) both have the same "mug" on our currency...right there says it all.

Here is the flip-side to contemplate: We have fought side by side with America and they are our neighbour-our ONLY neighbour. Love thy neighbour....

If your scenario was ever to play out, we would probably come to the same agreement with the U.S over water just like they did with Saudi Arabia over oil....

edit on 17-7-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I have no idea how the politicians would handle your scenario but I know how my neighbors here in western Kentucky handle major issues----like ice storms that cause widespread power outages. I know this because we endured it in '09 when all major electric transmission lines were down for over a week.
We got together and worked together and helped each other out. Nobody died, nobody got shot, nobody froze to death or starved even though some folks were out of power for nearly a month.
FEMA made it to our town about two months after the crisis was over and delivered a stack of regulations on how to handle the crisis. I'm NOT joking---I saw the pile of manuals in the county executive's office!
You can depend on government for your salvation if you wish----I'll depend on my neighbors because I know they will tell me the truth and they'll be there when I need help. They've proven their worth. Federal or state government---not so much.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Im sorry but who is it that has signed action not benifitting Isreal? Who will sign Irans nuke deal. That would be Obama.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

You may not like me for jumping in...but...you put it on the table.

I believe that the country/State of Israel embodies the idea that any and all races/peoples deserve a place in this world. While America represents the natural given right for any and all people to endeavor towards individual happiness without interference of Church, tempered only by the least amount of State policy.

With that said the Iran nuke deal that Obama will sign is in the best interest of America...as America's decisions should be.

Israel is fine and will be perfectly capable of defending themselves...if attacked. We already have treaties in place to lend aid...if necessary.

This Iran nuke deal stops the immediate dilemma of having another itchy NUCLEAR trigger in the Middle East. It is a resonable pact to pacify the embodiment of Shia Islam, which is half of the problem in the regional politics. Notice how Israel is recently partnering with the Saudis - Wahabi/Sunni Islam. There is a saying over there along the lines of..."My enemy's enemy is my friend". This deal re-balances the gameboard. It will give some respite to the hot-headedness that is indicative to living on the frontlines of a very old and messy quagmire. Plus the added benefit of offering a much needed breathe for the everyday citizens of a Theologically Despotic regime...I.e Iranians/Persians that have suffered by the economic sanctions.

This is the smartest move for Americans and Persians, regardless of Democratic or Republican spin.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I know nothing of my neighbors to be honest.

new topics

top topics

join