It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your view of working in Saudi Arabia?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I spoke to a couple of people recently that both claimed to have worked in Saudi Arabia within the last several years. Why did they do it? They both said that their salary there was over six times what they were earning now. They did it for the money.

At first, I thought that's simply being a sell-out. I don't see how anyone could support the ubiquitously evil Saudi Arabian society or culture in any way without selling their soul (all other things being equal).

But, since then I've thought of other rationales for working there:

1. Life Experience

I must admit that while I loath everything about Saudi Arabian society and culture, I'm still morbidly curious about seeing it first hand.

2. Self-Test of Strength

One of the people that claimed to have worked in Saudi Arabia told me that they knew for a fact that literally 99% of the people in their field that attempted to work in the country left before their first contract was up. Furthermore, the turnover rate would be even higher than 99% because most of those who actually finished their first contract left ASAP after it was up. These foreign workers just couldn't stand the environment. So, working in Saudi Arabia could be looked at as an ultimate test of mental and psychological strength.

edit on 17-7-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Would not do it. Earth might be more or less the same level of divine/demonic(yang/yin) but there is local differences that you can avoid. Saudi Arabia is one of those places from my point of view.

It is from my point of view like avoiding Italy and Germany during the 2nd world war.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

Worse if you are a woman. My father worked a lot in the Arab world. He had a lot of time for Omanis, but felt the oil rich Saudi et al were broken societies, based on high levels of racism and snobbery, coupled with obsessive misogyny. I would overfly Saudi, just on the parlous human rights record.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

view it first hand. those people may just say they left early to make you reluctant to go. Obviously the conditions may be harsher due to being closer to equator. Learn some of the laws and don't break them. seems worth it for the money... I too was thinking about doing it. due to many people wanting to work there it is recommended to have a masters/phd minimum.
Try it out.
but then again what do I know?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

i spent 2 years in a gulf state and the TL : DR summary is :

it was different .

i was strictly in it for the money [ UK salary 14k ( year before leaving ) , out there 35k ] - and that was the basic salary of my 1st job - that also gave perks and accomodation .

things are VERY different - but dont be an ass-hole or try to change the system - yup it sucks for a klot of people - but it didnt suck for me - so i just rode it

i avoided politics , religion and alchahol .

and came bak with 50k cash and a lot of toys .

being white , male , single and a qualified engineer makes your stay out there easy- you have to work hard - but its worth it

a certain moral flexibility is vital

being prepared to do stuff that the local elite wont - and the local peasants cannot is very very lucrative

my advice - do it - but be prepared to bend

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

good take from first experience.

I admit I probably couldn't take it for long. The lure of money might make me consider it. I would probably miss women...and I would be too afraid to go out looking for some. That's just one of the reasons.

We are culturally so different, that's why I'm not a big fan of mixing.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   

extremely easy to get thrown into goal i believe. If you do don't ever bother asking the Australian govt for help, they don't even help their own.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think you are really clutching at straws to try to find any reasonable reason for anyone to work in S.A.
ALL the western people that go to work there it is for the money. If they tell you any other reason they are lying.
THAT'S why the Saudis pay more because otherwise they'd get no-one.
You want a Life experiance of the place? Go there on holiday for a week or a fortnight, but don't do the tourist thing, go live with the locals (and I don't mean the rich locals) and when you return home after having your eyes and mind ripped open then you'll no need for the self test of strength.
Don't under-estimate the power of money. There are thousands of people that have worked there and sold their souls for the greenback and then assuage their sins but only after they get back.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I would need to be paid in hashish and wives.

top topics

join