It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaur find:Velociraptor ancestor 'winged dragon' found in China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The 125 million year old Dinosaur was found almost perfectly preserved ecnased in limestone believed to be from a volcanic eruption in north-east China , it has been named Zhenyuan's dragon.

Scientists say the creature stood over 6ft tall and would have looked a bit like a giant turkey.
Bellow is an artists impression , beautiful but kinda scary.

Lead researcher Dr Steve Brusatte said it was "the single most beautiful fossil I have had the privilege to work on".
"It has short arms, and it is covered in feathers [with] proper wings with layers of quill-pen feathers," he said.

Dr John Nudds, a senior lecturer in palaeontology at the University of Manchester, told BBC News the find was part of an "increasingly complex picture" of emerging evidence "that certainly a lot of [dinosaurs] and possibly even all of them had feathers or at least downy hair".
Dr Brusatte said: "It will blow some people's minds to realise that those dinosaurs in the movies would have been even weirder, and I think even scarier - like big fluffy birds from hell."
www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 16-7-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Of course it's a dragon. My daughter and I have been manifesting it. We will eventually need the DNA to clone a Dragon and Dinosaur park. She's been super excited for a year or so now.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I've seen that movie, nothing could possibly go wrong.

Cool find OP, thanks for the share!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Sheesh...I can't made head-nor-tail of that fossil. It kinda looks like the Predator to me.

Anyhoo, I wonder if Adam and Eve hand-fed that thing.

Oh, wait...wrong thread?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
Of course it's a dragon. My daughter and I have been manifesting it. We will eventually need the DNA to clone a Dragon and Dinosaur park. She's been super excited for a year or so now.

My kids too. I took them to see Jurassic World and they were asking if such a thing were to ever open. It would such a cool thing to have one day. A real life dinosaur park

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: blackmetalmist

There is a game on the pc called ark survival evolved in which you are some kind of experiment on a planet full of dinosaurs and you can tame them like domesticated animals to aid in your survival and you have the choice to play pvp or pve awesome game graphics with awesome dinosaurs.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

I've seen that movie, nothing could possibly go wrong.

Cool find OP, thanks for the share!

No, no. She says only nice dinosaurs. The dragons would be limited in size and scope as well, particularly in color. It seems only the blue will do.....maybe purple.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

There is a game on the pc called ark survival evolved in which you are some kind of experiment on a planet full of dinosaurs and you can tame them like domesticated animals to aid in your survival and you have the choice to play pvp or pve awesome game graphics with awesome dinosaurs.

Ooh, thank you ! That may be a good game to play. I may have to leave Starcraft for a moment and focus on the dinosaurs instead !

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

That's a picture of its head , the jagged things toward the bottom must be its teeth.
Nice birdie ....

Here's a pic of the whole fossil.

edit on 16-7-2015 by gortex because: edit to add pic

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

That's a picture of its head , the jagged things toward the bottom must be its teeth.
Nice birdie ....

I thought that was his vertebrae....yikes!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Nice birdie ....

Here's a pic of the whole fossil.

But wouldn't this guy be the ancestor of archaeopteryx?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Just a warning the game is extremely addictive especially when you get to tame a T. rex lvl 100.

There are some good vids on YouTube that you can check out.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

If what they are saying is right it may be that most if not all Dino's were feathered around that era , I quite like the idea of feathery dinosaurs , perhaps something for Hollywood to take note of.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Basically an ostrich with a crocodiles head... Sounds cute
I bet it was so soft and cuddly! The perfect pet! Right up there with Big Cats, Cobras, and any of the great Apes!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Good find. It looks like it has horns too a reply to: gortex

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hmmmm
Lets see

Christopher Sloan wrote: ‘With arms of a primitive bird and the tail of a dinosaur, this creature found in Liaoning Province, China, is a true missing link in the complex chain that connects dinosaurs to birds.’
But all was not as it seemed. What American Museum of Natural History paleontologist Dr. Mark Norell later described as an ‘unfortunate chapter’ in modern paleontology would foreshadow a growing and serious problem of fraudulent fossils being produced on an industrial scale in China. ‘To formally name a dinosaur, or any other species, a description must be prepared and published’, wrote Norell in his book Unearthing the Dragon. “Peer review, and pre-peer review, had rejected the paper’s conclusions and evidence and it never appeared in a scientific journal.”
So why did National Geographic choose to go ahead and publish a description of the species when it had been turned down by academic journals? For a non-academic, popular magazine it was heading into uncharted and risky territory.
The team behind the announcement had no idea on that fateful October day, but within just a few months Archaeoraptor liaoningensis would be revealed as one of the biggest fossil hoaxes in history, and the chance discovery of another fossil by Chinese Professor Xu Xing was the key to uncovering the deception. Archaeoraptor was soon dubbed the ‘Piltdown bird’ and the ‘Piltdown chicken’ by the press, in reference to the biggest fossil hoax of all time, in which faked remains of putative early hominids were dug up from Piltdown in England in 1912. For National Geographic – a bastion of publishing usually beyond reproach – this embarrassment would be one of the greatest blunders in its 125-year history. But more on that later
www.scientificamerican.com...

It would be interesting if its real but those Chinese can be suck kidders and some scientists pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

Also from your source.

Experts are much more wary of inconsistencies or anomalies in fossils these days, but 15 years ago the assumption might just have been that the specimen wasn’t assembled properly or had some elements attached by mistake.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Can confirm. Ark:SE is awesome.

Man that Dinosaur looks like it was a BAMF.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Bet it tastes like chicken!

Cool find.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I'll check out YT today. I had a dream last night that I had a whole bunch of these birds in my back yard.

Scary !

top topics

<<   2 >>

join