It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado loses missiles on landing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Thought I would stick this here for a laugh. You have got to see the funny side of this ( as thankfully nothing went wrong ) , but we must stop using glue and cardboard cut outs to frighten IS. I know, there is a serious side, but can you imagine landing and seeing these things trundle past you !

www.dailymail.co.uk... tml

edit on 15-7-2015 by nelloh62 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2015 by nelloh62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Total damage, two missiles, two aircraft seat cushions, two flight suits and two pairs of underwear.

I was working on the flight deck of the USS Forrestal in 1986 and remember standing in the catwalk while an F/A-18 was landing. One of it's bombs broke loose and skipped down the angle deck and off into the ocean. I can still see that little propeller on the fuse spinning like crazy.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

You have got to see the funny side of this ( as thankfully nothing went wrong )…

Like its 'right' dropping them intentionally in Syria?

Oh..

Hah ahahaha

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Haha LOL good one. I was hoping people would see the funny side and post some laughs

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
As one of the maintenance engineers said about loading bombs onto the launch rails of the aircraft, "The pilots keep losing them, I keep replacing them".

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

To be fair to the RAF, the article does say the plane came in at an abnormal angle causing the mounting to sheer off. I don't think this is a maintenance issue, personally. Just one of those things..

Shame though, those Brimstones are the biz... Even the Yanks want them - it came up in some Congressional hearing why they aren't buying them, as they are ready and off the shelf. The USAF Officer present gave some excuse about evaluating them and integrating them into their systems, but it's a descendent of the Americans own Hellfire...

Link to Video

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

We had a B-52 come in with a hung Harpoon. As we waited for EOD to pin it, we were staring right at the nose of it hanging on the wing. I felt like it was pointed right between my eyes.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
We were testing the Forrestal's CIWS and Sea Sparrow launchers in 1985. The starboard launcher launched a missile that went out about a mile, made a U-turn came back, crossed the flightdeck and splashed into the ocean.

On the port side, the CIWS is mounted just above the Sea Sparrow launcher. The CIWS shredded it's target. Right after that they were testing the Sea Sparrow launcher below it. The first missile came out of the launcher, went about 500 ft and then BRAAAAAP the CIWS shot it down. It got two more before they could get it turned off.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Tornados were brought into service in 1991 during the first Gulf war. They are due to be disbanded by 2019 in a staged process. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... tml#ixzz3gEWrYIoj Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The Tornado was introduced into service in 1979–1980 ? think they could have simply checked a simple fact first

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Little known fact that nobody cares about;

This forum logo at the top of the screen is a Tornado.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
LOL Id pay to have seen that..
What was the story with the Sidewinder crossing the deck that came out about 20 years ago that broke the internet.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

I don't know about that one, unless it is the one that broke loose from an F/A-18 undergoing trials. I do remember one on an A-7 that the pilot launched on deck because it was about to cook off from a F-14's exhaust.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: weemadmental

Tornados were brought into service in 1991 during the first Gulf war. They are due to be disbanded by 2019 in a staged process. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... tml#ixzz3gEWrYIoj Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The Tornado was introduced into service in 1979–1980 ? think they could have simply checked a simple fact first

It depends on the flavour of Tornado - some GR1's were upgraded to GR4's after the First Gulf War but there were some new builds of the standard as well..

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: weemadmental

the " daily fail " dont need no pesky facts

new topics

top topics

join