It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice needed on empolment offer.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Hi guys, i am in need of some advice. I have took a job that is 16 hours per week,my parter also works 16 hours per week. I have a busy home life with four children and it is a bit of a ballancing act. We are happy sharing the work between us and how home life is.

The problem is i am due to sign my contact at work after completing training,my manager has said he sees potential in me and wants me to go full time,40+ hours per week i expect. I am flatered at the offer but dont feel overjoyed at the prospect of full time hours as i enjoy time with family.I also have a history of handling stress with drinking alcohol excessively,this month will be my first year alcohol free. I also have mild C.O.P.D which my employer does not know about.

I gues im just trying to gage some opinion,should i be selfish and say no,put me first. Or do i take his offer and try to make it work.

Any advice greatly apreciated guys n gals.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Thelongversion

Your sobriety and family is more important than any job. Stay part time if you can....

Easy does it....
edit on 14-7-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

(post by soulpowertothendegree removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Health and family comes first. You only live once, don't do something you might regret later. Congratulation on being alcohol free for a year, that's a tremendous accomplishment!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

My first advice would be to learn how to spell first.

Your avatar and your signature signals something entirely different than your reply.

An advice to you might be to read the message and learn that we aren't all english professors.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It sounds like you all ready know whats good for you.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I found that keeping busy and working lots has helped me in my sobriety. However : If your family needs the money, or if it could help towards an early retirement i say take the job. Do the best you can, and make your family proud.
Never let something control your life...even if the possibility of falling back onto a substance due to stress is hanging over you. Find a different outlet to deal with the stress. I used to run to the pills when i found an excuse to justify it. But thats not me anymore, and never will be.
Overcoming an addiction is basically rewiring your brain.
You will always be an addict, but the choice is and still always will be, 100% yours.
Either you crawl back to it, or spit in its face by telling yourself "That is not the person i am."

When i needed to find new outlets to keep myself away from the junk, i went to a hobby shop and found the most time consuming Helicopter to build. It cost about $400 for the helicopter, then when it was finished, i had to buy a transmitter so i could fly it. That cost another $200.
I used to spend over $1000 a week on my addiction. So this was peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

From someone who didn't go with my gut and let work run me down (emotionally, mentally, physically, etc.), I would advise you to do everything in your power to keep a part-time work schedule, while still trying your best to go above and beyond in the time that you are working.

I also have an alcohol/substance abuse problem and working a crazy schedule has led me to revert to old habits. I'm actually in the process of interviewing at other places to try to find a more normal work schedule.

Your sobriety and family should be #1 priorities - you might also want to disclose the fact that you have C.O.P.D. (or just mention a "medical condition" to keep is vague) when an opportunity presents itself - keeping those details from your employer can come back to bite you, take it from someone who has experienced this first hand.

Wishing you the very best - congrats on your employment contract and just do what's best for you! Much love and light your way

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Yeah, i agree with everyone else here.

But still...i approach life like being a linebacker. I hunt, seek, and own. 56 hours a week isn't that much. LOL....id love that much time off.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hi guys,thanks for your replies,i just needed outside opinion to help make my decision.and thanks for the support on my alcohol use straight back at you guys in similar positions.Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
You're asking for advice on what to do when you both only have to work 2 eight hour days in order to make ends meet? Stay there and don't change your lifestyle. You have it good.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

If you are only going to work 40 hours per week that still leaves plenty of time to live and have time with your family and if your partner is only working 16 hours per week the children should not suffer.

I would decide as to if you want the enjoyment of work and the chance to get of benifits.

Finding a job you enjoy and working to provide for your family may be worth it, 40 hours a week is not a lot if the rewards are worth it in the long run.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I support you if you are happy living the life style that your two short-hour jobs can provide. But if you are on the public dole also with supplemental assistance, I don't support your decision to not work full time. It is as simple as that.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

If I'm reading correctly each of you only works 16 hours a week. Together that's 32 hours. So LESS THAN a single full time job between TWO parties.

Yes, you need to step it up and work a 40 hour week. Support yourself and your family. You say you have COPD and are a recovering alcoholic - OK fine - but every single person also has problems. Stop making excuses and support your kids.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
stay part time. i was working full time but my job is so mentally draining i found myself wanting a drink every night. so i went part time and i am soooooo happy i did.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
We actually both work 16 hours each and a few hours overtime each week briniging total hours to around 40 hours, any handouts from government are minimal/what were entitled to anyway, for anyone he thinks we are working the system.

top topics

join