It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The upcoming cost of food.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Our corn is doing really, really well in western Kentucky. I've seen some soybean fields that were flooded earlier, just after planting but they have all recovered.
Additionally, our local Farmers' Market has some of the most beautiful produce I've seen in years. The local grocery stores are increasing their "Locally Grown" produce sections due to the California drought which is a good thing for our local market growers. It is also a good thing for local consumers because they actually get fresh food, not week-old food that is billed as fresh.
My garden is presently producing onions, potatoes, greens of all sorts, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, peas, beets, leeks and even have a couple of lettuce varieties that haven't bolted due to the heat. The radishes did bolt but we're eating the seed pods now instead of the root---same taste, better actual nutrition in the seed pods. Blackberries are producing in abundance right now----free for the picking----but with a heat index of 105+F.---I'll be waiting for a bit of cooler weather before I go out and pick.
When I go to the Farmers' Market to buy the things I don't produce at home, (I have no luck at all with sweet corn and have no fruit trees) I buy double what I need for the week and put the excess in the freezer. This week it was corn, peaches and a variety of beans I don't have. By freezing up a few packages a week I usually manage to fill the freezer by the end of the local growing season with food that I know is clean and nutritious. There is a distinct sense of pride and satisfaction in gazing into that freezer and knowing that we will have good food through the winter months.
Even the meat producers in our area run sales at the FM, so I keep an eye out for those and buy meat locally as well.
We would all do well to remember (or to learn) that the fuel we feed our bodies is a big deal in determining the state of our health.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: One_Love_One_GOD

Some people don't know that the grain we call "corn" is called "maze" in most of the world and a lot of people eat it. It is a bit more nutritiousness that many people think.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: One_Love_One_GOD
a reply to: frugal

People in Asia eat vast quantities of rice, are they fat? people in Kenya eat vast quantities of corn, are they fat? Top potato consumers in the world? China and Russia. Do some traveling yourself and get some real world experience before making such ridiculous claims as these simple starches can make you fat.

Yes. People in Asia who eat a lot of rice ARE fat, especially when they eat a lot of rice and don't do any exercise. Calories in, calories out etc., and carbs/starches/grains need a lot of exercise to burn off, which is why you don't see many fat people who are very physically active (like farmers) who eat carbs/starches/grains regularly.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Philippines

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

The video is not representative of Asia, but it has a good point. Since you didn't provide a synopsis here goes:

The person sounds like an Australian went to Bangkok and participated in a casual running race. He is confused they aren't very fat because they are on a carb/rice diet (and does not mention the other great food besides rice that Thailand offers.)

As I said in my previous comment - calories in vs. calories out (burned through exercise.) As long as you are burning the calories you eat then you should not get fat.

What has been happening over the last years in Asia is the Westernized development. People eat more fast food, more rice, and more junk food because they can afford it and the Western corporations are rather dominant now. On top of that, they also don't walk and take public transportation or buy their own cars. They stop doing basic movements, and usually on a flat surface of a city complete with elevators and escalators to enable them to move less.

Once in Hong Kong I noted the same thing that many people there are much more skinny than in the USA, but a person there told me it's because in HK - people mostly walk everywhere. In the USA, people drive everywhere.

How much time have you spent in Asia?

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

The guy in the video (Durianrider) is showing that despite the lack of fitness on their high carb (rice) diet they are still very lean and yes Thailand offers lots of great food as you say, the vast majority of the population however live on rice as the staple due to very low wages.

Regarding western development lets look at China, as the economy has boomed in built up areas of the country this has allowed people to be more decadent and spend money on things like fast food, cigarettes etc meaning for the first time in China much like us post world war 2 when capitalism took hold it meant they started getting the health ailments and deceases as kings and queens, obesity being one of them. The Iast time i was in a mcdonalds to use the urinal people were not eating bowls of plain white rice, they were gorging on fatty/salty poison. Rural China still lives on grain because they can not afford animal products, little do they know how lucky they are. Whats happening over there is a bit like what happened over here at one time, having access to meat/eggs/dairy/fatty foods has allowed people with means to become overweight and is actually seen as a sign of wealth and success.

Meanwhile the poor eat their rice/noodles and stay lean and free from heart decease/gout/you name and needlessly look on at the rich with envy not realizing they are literately dodging a bullet.

Exercise is important for your health, to pump your lymphatic system etc BUT it plays very very little role in your overall weight, if it did there wouldn't be fruitarians out there living on several thousand calories a day and can't run a mile yet they are lean as a Olympic marathoner.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Yes, let's look at China.

IDF - International Diabetes Federation - China

China has the world’s largest diabetes epidemic, and it continues to grow at a fearsome pace. Rapidly rising rates of diabetes have been seen in previous studies, and the most recent research found that China has overtaken the USA in terms of diabetes prevalence: according to the latest data, 11.6% of Chinese adults have diabetes. The Chinese diabetes population stands at some 114 million people — about a third of all people with diabetes. The authors of this study warned of the enormous strain on the country’s public health system.1

Perhaps more worryingly, the study also found that out of 99,000 people surveyed, half had pre-diabetes blood glucose levels – abnormally high but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes.

The Philippines is also a hotspot of diabetes in Asia. It's quite a growing problem, probably because of massive amounts of rice and sugar intake and little to no exercise in the cities (as I said before).

The poor also don't have a job to sit around at everyday and probably cannot afford to travel by vehicle. My wife's parents are considered poor farmers, yet are the toughest people I know. They eat rice every meal but also walk many kilometers up and down mountains (carrying heavy weight) every day, even in the rain. That is what I'm talking about by calories in and calories out. If you eat a lot of carbs/starches/grains/sugars, then you will get fat if you don't burn that energy.

And when you get older in life exercise is especially important imo. I've had many old friends die just because they couldn't move around like they used to and were bedridden.
edit on 18-7-2015 by Philippines because: typo

edit on 18-7-2015 by Philippines because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Philippines

China has the world’s largest diabetes epidemic, and it continues to grow at a fearsome pace. Rapidly rising rates of diabetes have been seen in previous studies, and the most recent research found that China has overtaken the USA in terms of diabetes prevalence: according to the latest data, 11.6% of Chinese adults have diabetes. The Chinese diabetes population stands at some 114 million people — about a third of all people with diabetes. The authors of this study warned of the enormous strain on the country’s public health system.1

Perhaps more worryingly, the study also found that out of 99,000 people surveyed, half had pre-diabetes blood glucose levels – abnormally high but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes.

The Philippines is also a hotspot of diabetes in Asia. It's quite a growing problem, probably because of massive amounts of rice and sugar intake and little to no exercise in the cities (as I said before).

The poor also don't have a job to sit around at everyday and probably cannot afford to travel by vehicle. My wife's parents are considered poor farmers, yet are the toughest people I know. They eat rice every meal but also walk many kilometers up and down mountains (carrying heavy weight) every day, even in the rain. That is what I'm talking about by calories in and calories out. If you eat a lot of carbs/starches/grains/sugars, then you will get fat if you don't burn that energy.

And when you get older in life exercise is especially important imo. I've had many old friends die just because they couldn't move around like they used to and were bedridden.

Yes as i stated before diabetes has become a problem China, this is a modern development as i said, what were they eating before, RICE! for thousands of years in fact they have thrived on it, what changed then?, what was introduced into these peoples diets?

Fat is the cause of Type 2 diabetes, the cure is a low-fat plant-based diet. Here Dr. McDougall discusses the considerable research showing even a diet of table sugar, white rice and fruit juice can cure Type 2 diabetes. And yet a lot of people misguidedly believe sugar is the culprit in this disease. Incredible!

edit on 18-7-2015 by One_Love_One_GOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Simple, stay away from margarine butter. It's poison.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Yes as i stated before diabetes has become a problem China, this is a modern development as i said, what were they eating before, RICE! for thousands of years in fact they have thrived on it, what changed then?, what was introduced into these peoples diets?

Fat is the cause of Type 2 diabetes, the cure is a low-fat plant-based diet. Here Dr. McDougall discusses the considerable research showing even a diet of table sugar, white rice and fruit juice can cure Type 2 diabetes. And yet a lot of people misguidedly believe sugar is the culprit in this disease. Incredible!

" as i stated before diabetes has become a problem China" -- Actually, I never saw you state that anywhere before.

Second, if the primary diet in China is rice, then why would more rice (and sugar) solve the diabetes problem? It's like saying that to cure the problem, eat more of the cause of the problem.

Also, traditionally, rice was not eaten every day by the common masses. It was saved for special events and occasions. Only in recent times can people afford and are able to eat rice every meal for a variety of reasons.

I'm not really sure of this doctor's logic either. He seems like the Dr. Steven Greer, riding on his title and counter-culture popularity to go against mainstream knowledge.... And that "fat" causes diabetes... lol. Look up the ketogenic diet. Your body needs fats and oils to survive. It provides cells with the nutrients they need and promotes healing. It does not need carbs, they are stored energy. Unless you are burning all the carbs through exercise, there's no point in eating them.

I seriously am shocked that the "doctor" really promotes sugar and carbs to cure diabetes... Though I guess other doctors do the same when they tell diabetics to follow the food pyramid and wonder why it's not working...

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
So we should expect the normal rate of inflation to continue? It's basically the same thing.

The only difference now is that the Fed stopped pronting endless amounts of money so there's leas cash available for the bottom half of the economy while inflation continues to speak out of control.

No big deal tho guys keep living in your bubbles. You know... The TV said millenials are buying houses now. I mean sharing rooms in the shared economy l...

My phone is bugging out
edit on 7/27/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

" as i stated before diabetes has become a problem China" -- Actually, I never saw you state that anywhere before.

Second, if the primary diet in China is rice, then why would more rice (and sugar) solve the diabetes problem? It's like saying that to cure the problem, eat more of the cause of the problem.

Also, traditionally, rice was not eaten every day by the common masses. It was saved for special events and occasions. Only in recent times can people afford and are able to eat rice every meal for a variety of reasons.

I'm not really sure of this doctor's logic either. He seems like the Dr. Steven Greer, riding on his title and counter-culture popularity to go against mainstream knowledge.... And that "fat" causes diabetes... lol. Look up the ketogenic diet. Your body needs fats and oils to survive. It provides cells with the nutrients they need and promotes healing. It does not need carbs, they are stored energy. Unless you are burning all the carbs through exercise, there's no point in eating them.

I seriously am shocked that the "doctor" really promotes sugar and carbs to cure diabetes... Though I guess other doctors do the same when they tell diabetics to follow the food pyramid and wonder why it's not working...

All of Asia traditionally use grain (carbohydrates) as the main staple of their diet, this is now as i stated far less prevalent than before due to cultural influences that is plain to see, the primary staple for China WAS rice and by the way still is for a lot of China, in order to enjoy the far better health they used to attain they need to go back to their old ways of eating. Rice is the cheapest still and all ways has been the cheapest calorie source the world over.

Yes your body needs fatty acids, NOT OVERT FATS, the perfect amount of fatty acids are in fresh ripe whole fruits and vegetables, avocados naturally come into season about two weeks of every year. Ketogenisis is terrible for your health and will take a huge toll on your body, i would not even recommend it for someone that sits on their backside all day and does nothing, two good books i would recommend you read are the starvation experiment and the china study. Get the fat out the diet and diabetes will heal, think of a gate, everybody has this gate that lets the sugar into the cells which is promoted by insulin, well people with diabetes cells are saturated with fat (and in general) thus blocking the sugar and not letting it in thus become dificiant in glucose and lacking in energy.

Some keto side effects:

Frequent Urination
Fatigue and Dizziness
Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)
Headaches
Constipation
Sugar Cravings (hmm i wonder why?)
Diarrhea
Shakiness or weakness
Muscle Cramps
Sleep Disturbances
Kidney Stones
Low testosterone
Heart Palpitations
Tachycardia
Increased bone demineralisation with acidosis
Raised cholesterol levels
Menstrual irregularities
Stunted growth
Increased risk of bone fractures
Deficiency of many micronutrients
Scurvy

Spend a day with me and we will see who is the healthiest, strongest, who has the most energy, who is living to their potential. I've been a high carb low fat/protein/salt vegan for a while now, my skin is soft like a babys, i never smell, I'm leaner than I've ever been in my life and getting leaner and leaner, my erections are massive, my eyes are so white and bright, i can run for miles, cycle for miles, my intellect is through the roof, my ability to communicate and articulate what i want is the best it's ever been, my motivation is endless. A human being as well as our nearest ancestors thrive on vast quatitys of carbohydrates from fruit/rice/potatoes/etc on a daily basis, every cell in the human body runs on glucose, deprive them and see what happens. All animals eat unlimited amounts of their natural foods, when did we become the exception? Show me a fat Bonobo in his/hers natural habitat living off unlimited carbohydrates (fruits).

edit on 27-7-2015 by One_Love_One_GOD because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2015 by One_Love_One_GOD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join