It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any actual ancient myths about begin coming from specific stars?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Having watched Ancient Aliens, I have seen plenty of information about Sirius and a couple others. The problem is that Ancient Aliens is so full of BS and selective use of data, often from thoroughly debunked sources, that it is hardly trustworthy. Basic internet searches have not been useful in finding anything as the internet seems to have been so diluted with Ancient Aliens and similar rubbish. One thing I have been looking for is a honest source, preferably someone who knows the subject matter. If there is anyone on this forum who is familiar with any ancient religions which believed in beings (extraterrestrials, gods, other humans, etc.) from specific stars, please fill me in.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
In a nutshell, no, there are not.
edit on 7/14/2015 by admirethedistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: twentyoneawatcher

Menachem Begin was born in what is now Poland?

edit on 14/7/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: twentyoneawatcher
Having watched Ancient Aliens, I have seen plenty of information about Sirius and a couple others. The problem is that Ancient Aliens is so full of BS and selective use of data, often from thoroughly debunked sources, that it is hardly trustworthy. Basic internet searches have not been useful in finding anything as the internet seems to have been so diluted with Ancient Aliens and similar rubbish. One thing I have been looking for is a honest source, preferably someone who knows the subject matter. If there is anyone on this forum who is familiar with any ancient religions which believed in beings (extraterrestrials, gods, other humans, etc.) from specific stars, please fill me in.

Not ancient, because the ancient cultures of the world, knew and understood the movements of the stars, but didn't know they were planets. As all the local planets look like distant stars in the nights sky because they reflect sunlight, it was only in the period after 2000bce that the ancients noticed the difference because the planets move differently than the stars. To notice that requires astronomer priests. The problem there is that priests pretty much have an established view of the sky and what it is, so they believed that the planets were the gods moving in the heavens. The knowledge wasn't great, they theorised that the sky was water because it was blue and because rain came from it. This is one of the reasons why a lot of ancient gods are depicted riding flying chariots or more obviously, boats.

Because telescopes were a long way off in the future, they only knew about the planets that can be seen with the naked eye, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. All of which they linked with Gods

The only religion I have ever heard of that did claim that God was from somewhere else, is the Jehovah's witnesses, who's dogma, being directed by its leaders claimed during the 1920s that Yahweh came from the Pleiades in a rocket chair. They can't take that back of course, because they printed it as fact and you can't drop religious beliefs without questioning the whole foundation of a religion. Though I don't think they actively teach it anymore, but its certainly fun to bring it up when their missionaries come round to visit. Not that they do with me anymore. I've been on the local temples "do not visit" list since about 1995.

But if you think about it, all Gods who claimed to have created the earth were extra terrestrials on account of them being around before the act of creation. But no, not a single ancient culture knew that the stars were suns with surrounding planets and anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant, delusional, or like the cast of ancient aliens, lying for profit

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

What about the Black Night Satellite?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The Dogon Tribe of Africa And Their Connection To The Stars

One the most amazing sources of evidence of our ancestors coming from the stars is the history of the Dogon Tribe of Africa. There are between 400,000 and 800,000 Dogon in a remote civilization in the central plateau region of Mali in Africa. The Dogon culture is known for its detailed, meaningful art and tribal customs, but the Dogon are mostly known for their ancient, accurate cosmology and the legends of their ancestors from Sirius.

Probably not the best source. Do your own research. Make up your own mind.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
In this video they mention their ancestors coming from the stars at 42:20.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

One the most amazing sources of evidence of our ancestors coming from the stars is the history of the Dogon Tribe of Africa. There are between 400,000 and 800,000 Dogon in a remote civilization in the central plateau region of Mali in Africa. The Dogon culture is known for its detailed, meaningful art and tribal customs, but the Dogon are mostly known for their ancient, accurate cosmology and the legends of their ancestors from Sirius.

Rebuttal: Dogon Debunked

edit on 14-7-2015 by oletimer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: oletimer

Rebuttal:

Dogon Debunked

Can you fix the link? I'd like to take a look at that.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Just google: dogon sirius debunked.

The best one I've read is a study from UCLA
"Griaule’s Legacy: Rethinking “la parole claire” in Dogon Studies*"
(PDF) by Andrew Apter - UCLA Anthropology

edit on 14-7-2015 by oletimer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Just google: dogon sirius debunked

I found a few links, and read the Van Beek story, as well as a few other opinions. Though I am skeptical of the skeptics in this story, because of their use of likely and unlikely in their rebuttal, what they are saying sounds reasonable, and therefore, I would also say there is a possibility the Dogon were "contaminated". Thanks for pointing this out. I had not read about this until now. Saved for future research and reference.
edit on 7/14/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Just google: dogon sirius debunked

I found a few links, and read the Van Beek story, as well as a few other opinions. Though I am skeptical of the skeptics in this story, because of their use of likely and unlikely in their rebuttal, what they are saying sounds reasonable, and therefore, I would also say there is a possibility the Dogon were "contaminated". Thanks for pointing this out. I had not read about this until now. Saved for future research and reference.

I love how the Dogon are always described as a remote African culture. They've had the internet for about twenty years...

The original claim by Marcel Griaule was followed up by Walter Van Beek

"Though they do speak about sigu tolo [which is what Griaule claimed the Dogon called Sirius] they disagree completely with each other as to which star is meant; for some it is an invisible star that should rise to announce the sigu [festival], for another it is Venus that, through a different position, appears as sigu tolo. All agree, however, that they learned about the star from Griaule."

You can safely ignore anything by Robert Temple, he's well known to lie for profit.
edit on 14-7-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: admirethedistance

Yes there are.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yes there is. There are mentionings within some translated Sumerian texts as well as some from African nomads.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

well I read the UCLA study and there isn't a single mention of
the Dogons knowledge of Sirius A and B . As a matter of fact those Stars
aren't mentioned. It spent most of its
time on menstruation and word origin. With many notes on
"there is nothing to see here that is secret."

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
Yes there is. There are mentionings within some translated Sumerian texts as well as some from African nomads.

Presumably you're referring to the Dogon, which has been debunked for years and there are no Sumerian texts which mention anything about aliens in Sumerian texts, course, feel free to prove me wrong

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnderKingsPeak

well I read the UCLA study and there isn't a single mention of
the Dogons knowledge of Sirius A and B . As a matter of fact those Stars
aren't mentioned. It spent most of its
time on menstruation and word origin. With many notes on
"there is nothing to see here that is secret."

Precisely.
You see, the proponent that originated the idea that the Dogon had secret information about Sirius was Marcel Griaule. He said he was initiated into the Dogon secrets and viola, the Dogon Sirius BS was born. But Van Beek came along and debunked the idea that they had that Sirius information, and Andrew Apter followed up and debunked that they had any secrets Griaule claimed to be privy to.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Not aliens specifically

This Native Californian tale was told by the Maidu of the central sierra Nevada mountains.

The Maidu lived in the central Sierra Nevada of California, to the north of Yosemite. The Maidu, who were not particularly numerous to begin with, were decimated by the incursion of Americans. These texts were collected by a linguist at the beginning of the 20th century.

Two girls who were of an age to dance the puberty dance, were dancing it. And having stopped dancing just at dawn, they both slept. Toward morning the two girls, who were sleeping, arising, went off to dig roots. When they returned at night, the people all danced the round-dance.

Having finished the round-dance, they danced forward and back. And just as the light came over the hills, while it grew brighter, after having run off after the one who carried the rattle, they (the two girls) went to sleep. They dreamed. "If you have a bad dream, you must dive into the stream after having pierced your ear-lobe. Then you must blow away all evil from yourselves. Thus ye will arise feeling entirely well," she said. So their mothers told the two girls.

They dreamed of Star-Men, but did not blow the evil away from themselves; they did not pierce their ears, did not bathe. When the dance was over, they went again to make camp with their mothers at the spring to dig roots. And having arrived there, they camped. And

p. 184 p. 185

going to sleep at that place, lying on their backs and looking upward, they talked.

"Do you want to go there?" said one. "If I got there, I should like to see that red, very bright star." Then the other said, "I also, I should like to go to that one that looks blue. I wish I might see what he looks like!" Then they went to sleep. As they slept, in the morning they woke up there, where the Star-Men were.

The old woman hunted for them back here. She hunted to find where they had gone. She kept looking for tracks, but could not see them, could not trace them; so she went back, weeping, to the house. When she returned, the people got back from a hunting-expedition. They kept coming back; and when they had returned, they searched. They kept looking for tracks, and, not finding them, they went back. And so, having returned, they remained there.

Meanwhile the two girls staid up there in the sky, and were married. They talked together. "Our mothers, our fathers, our brothers, have felt very badly at not being able to trace us," said the younger girl. "You wanted very much to come to this country; and I, believing you, came thus far. It is making my father feet badly, my mother feel badly, my brothers feel badly. It was your idea," she said.

"Our mothers gave us very good advice. But you, not believing her, when you had bad dreams, did not pierce your ear. It is for that reason that we are living far away here. I am going back. If you want to remain, you may stay. All my relatives are thinking about me. I feel very badly. I ought not to speak that way, but I have said it. I feel very badly, thinking about it," said she, the younger girl.

p. 186 p. 187

[paragraph continues] (The other) said to her sister, "Let us both go back in some way! Let us go and gather some kind of food! We shall learn something in time." So they remained. To each a child was born; and they, making a hut at a little distance, staid there. After they had remained there for some time, they said, "These children ask for sinew." So the husbands gave them sinew. Again, "They ask for sinew," they said, and the men gave it to them.

Meanwhile the two girls made rope. Every day, "They call for sinew," they said. And they gave them sinew. So the two girls kept making rope, until night they made rope. Letting it down towards the earth, they measured it. "How far down does the rope extend?" they said. But it did not quite reach the ground. So they still said, "They ask for sinew. These children are eating a great deal, but only sinew," they said. And the two men believed.

And so the two women kept making rope until it was sufficient, till it reached all the way down, till it reached down to the earth. Then having made the children remain, they came back down. Having fastened the rope, and just as they were halfway down to the end, the children began to cry, kept crying and crying. "What can be the matter with those two children! Suppose you go and see," said one of the men. Then one went over to the house; and going across, when he reached it, there was no one there but the two children only, crying.

When he had looked about, he saw the rope hanging down hither. So he cut it; and the women, who had almost reached the ground, fell and were killed. And one of their brothers, who was still hunting for them, saw them. And the rope was there also. Taking that, he went off to the house; and, arriving there, he told all the brothers, "Our two sisters are dead," he said.

p. 188 p. 189

Then they went, and, having arrived there, lifting up the bodies, they brought them back. And having carried them there, they laid them in the water. In the morning the two girls awoke, and, waking, they came out of the water, came back to the house, and after a while they spoke.

"She spoke that way. When she loved him much, I talked with her, talking like her, I followed her," said the younger girl. "She said it would be good to go to the place where the man was whom she had dreamed of while dancing. . . . She said that truly; and I, thinking it was said in fun, said the same. When we had said this, the men we loved did, indeed, do so to us. When we returned, they, learning about it up there, cut the rope, and in that way we died," said the youngest one, speaking to her mother and relatives.

"One was a very red man, who ate only hearts. One was a bluish man, who only ate fat. There are many people of that sort, each always eating but one kind of food. Some eat only liver, some only meat. There are men of that kind," said the younger girl. But the other girl said nothing. And thereafter they remained there in the olden time. That is all, they say.

The Girls Who Married the Stars

edit on 14-7-2015 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I heard that the Native Americans got the idea of Aliens from the Hippies in the 1960’s and 1970’s and the elders humoured them

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk
I heard that the Native Americans got the idea of Aliens from the Hippies in the 1960’s and 1970’s and the elders humoured them

Absolutely not,
This particular collection of mythologies was collected in the late 19th century and published in 1912 .
Almost all of the collections I sourced in the link were collected by professional enthnologists and linguists, in the 19th century.
Many of the tellers of the stories learned them in precontact days and before christianisation and were only native speakers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join