It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Debris Causing Global Warming?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Since Sputnik and the beginning of the space race, no one could have ever imagined the amount of space debris that has encircled our planet. For nearly 70 years the worlds Governments and Industries have been Dumping Trash around our planet in the name of Science, Communications and Security, Never understanding our earths fragile nature and what tiny micro changes could do to impact our Ecosystem.

Nearly 4000 man made objects are locked into perpetual orbit around the earth, reflecting and beaming concentrated energy from the Sun, helping to increase overall global temperatures, and the more we continue to launch and orbit these objects, the more concentrated our exposure and intensity of the sun?

Problem is whats done has been done and currently nothing we can do about it, until these mindsets change and Science figures out how to clean up their trash. Until then were are Doomed

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
A moment's reflection, if you will pardon the expression, would make it clear that a shell of debris round the Earth would shield it from sunlight.

edit on 12/7/15 by Astyanax because: it's a short post.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

A moment's reflection, if you will pardon the expression, would make it clear that a shell of debris round the Earth would shield it from sunlight.

One would think.

But on ATS anything is possible.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Bright shiny objects reflect, but either way its not good

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
There is no way that having junk like that in orbit won't effect something. I do not know how it does, but it has to effect something. The people who have the ability to test the effect just happen to be the ones who are creating the mess. So don't expect any evidence to be popping up saying that there is a problem with all this junk. Of course, if it interferes with their equipment up there they research it and get upset. Those four thousand things are active or dorment things, representing only a fraction of the junk up there. Some of the stuff is small, some are rocket stages.
edit on 12-7-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM

Bright shiny objects reflect, but either way its not good

Yes, but the point Astyanax makes is that it should help cool the Earth outside of the atmosphere, if at all, in fact if it is having any effect, it would almost the same as that which has been seriously suggested...a space umbrella.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: Astyanax

One would think.

But on ATS anything is possible.

Yes, only here can logic go out of one window as another theory that's about as tenable as flying monkeys comes in through the other window. No. Just.... no.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Correct.

Except "global climate change" is a religion oblivious to 18 years+ of flat temperatures, completely failed "models" and other facts.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
An exterior umbrella affect could only make it hotter as the solar sunlight heats and reflects it over the planet,

unlike what happens inside the atmosphere, where an umbrella affect would drop temperatures.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I dunno what to think about ATS, anymore...

it does truly appear it has lost intellect or the intellect that is still here seems to have some uncanny characteristic..

I do not see space junk making the earth temperature rise..

If I had to guess, and make it sound like I knew something about a REALITY, we do not understand, I would blame the nuclear waste we are pouring into the pacific from Japan, and not to mention the atmosphere...

Of course thou our scientists who are funded by WORLD governments will not say anything about that disaster, that is still happening in real time right now...

Tons of radioactive waste is pouring into the atmosphere and a ecosystem....

Sorry, we can carry on with the global warming bullcrap...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent76
I dunno what to think about ATS, anymore...

it does truly appear it has lost intellect or the intellect that is still here seems to have some uncanny characteristic..

I do not see space junk making the earth temperature rise..

If I had to guess, and make it sound like I knew something about a REALITY, we do not understand, I would blame the nuclear waste we are pouring into the pacific from Japan, and not to mention the atmosphere...

Of course thou our scientists who are funded by WORLD governments will not say anything about that disaster, that

is still happening in real time right now...

Tons of radioactive waste is pouring into the atmosphere and a ecosystem....

Sorry, we can carry on with the global warming bullcrap...

How about Every negative thing man does impacts the planet?...Does that make you feel better?

I was just giving one example that's probably overlooked

The earth itself is revenging itself on us for being a bunch off asses

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

The earths surface reflects light/heat, I think the term is Albedo.

Some clouds can actually trap heat from earths surface.

Interesting topic.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I am not going to answer that question.

Let us not forget, man is not the only species effecting this planet negatively.....

Yet I am done with this thread I will not make an attempt to inject logic and intellect on ats today..

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Ask yourself: how bright an object is ‎67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko? How did they find it and land on it?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Flag for interesting new idea. My take is that where space debris be that extensive it would reflect back solar radiation before it got into the atmosphere.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Low clouds are able to reflect the solar radiation and makes the earth surface cool. About 30% of the solar radiation is reflected back to space. The areas of the earth that are able to reflect back radiation is called albedo. There are areas that reflect more radiation that the others because of different albedos. A place that is covered in snow has a high albedo while a place with rainforests has a low albedo. Clouds are able to reflect lots of solar radiation because they have high albedos.

vs

High clouds trap some of the radiation and gives it back to earth. The higher the cloud, the colder it is, and the more radiation is trapped. The top of the cloud is colder than the earth’s surface. The cold part of the cloud will make the amount of longwave radiation that goes to space smaller. By doing this, it traps the radiation beneath the clouds, making it hot for the earth that is under it. But once the radiation is able to go to space, it will not be hot again. This process is called the Cloud Greenhouse Forcing.

Low clouds cool.

High clouds trap heat.

Could space debris reflect back the reflected radiation coming off clouds?

edit on 12-7-2015 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: dusty1
Could space debris reflect back the reflected radiation coming off clouds?

Sure it could. If there were an enormous, solid mass of it. People don't seem to understand just how 'big' the space around our planet is. Yes, there are quite a few pieces of various debris, but compared to the Earth, they're incredibly tiny, and incredibly far apart.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: admirethedistance

I'm not saying that space debris is causing any issue with the climate.

But it is an interesting thought.

More than 21,000 orbital debris larger than 10 cm are known to exist. The estimated population of particles between 1 and 10 cm in diameter is approximately 500,000. The number of particles smaller than 1 cm exceeds 100 million.

"Our understanding of the growing space debris problem can be compared with our understanding of the need to address Earth's changing climate some 20 years ago," he said.

phys.org...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Cool. Numbers. Lets crunch them.
That "larger than 10 cm" one is a little tricky, but let's take an average of 20 cm for the heck of it. Let's say they are 20 x 20. That gives us a grand total of 840 square meters.

For the 1 - 10 cm size lets use 10 cm. That gives us 5,000 square meters.

For smaller than 1 cm lets use 1 cm. That gives us 10,000 square meters.

For a total of 15,840 square meters. Just for the hell of it, let's triple that number because there's stuff up there that isn't "junk". Call it 50,000 square meters. The area of about 5 soccer fields.

Now, let's take an altitude, say 400 km, about where the ISS resides. A decent average. That altitude represents a "surface area" of 2,010,000,000,000 square meters. If that stuff was all at that altitude it would cover 0.0000005% of the area.

Not going to be doing much of anything for blocking radiation in either direction.

edit on 7/12/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM

Nearly 4000 man made objects are locked into perpetual orbit around the earth, reflecting and beaming concentrated energy from the Sun, helping to increase overall global temperatures, and the more we continue to launch and orbit these objects, the more concentrated our exposure and intensity of the sun?

(

Are they magnifying glasses or reflective objects? I was pretty sure most objects in orbit tumble, or spin, so wouldn't a reflective object actually DEFLECT sunlight more than radiate to Earth? it would have to be just the right angle to reflect light onto Earth while every other angle would repel the light from Earth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join