It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents can choose the gender of their baby pre conception how do you feel about this ATS?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
What does it matter? Who cares what chromosomes you give the kid? Little Johnny could just turn around in three years and decide he feels like Justine anyways, and in today's society, that's what really matters.

In other words, he can reject your carefully selected reality and substitute his/her own. /sarcasm

Honestly, I think the whole idea is sick, but we're walking into a brave new world where what we desire is much more important than anything else.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

I think it has frightening implications. Might as well add blue eyes and blond hair to the menu.

I agree, as the technology and understanding of said technology improves the possibilities of what characteristics you add to your pre conceived child will be limitless and only available to those who can afford them. So eventually average joes will be competing with robots and super humans for jobs...great what a future to look forward too.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

The gender imbalance in India and China, and in many other countries where boy babies are favoured over girls, will become even more skewed than it is today. On the positive side, millions of abortions (usually illegal and therefore unregulated, insanitary and dangerous) in those countries will no longer occur.

The manufacturers of hand-held ultrasound scanners will see their earnings plummet.

The practice of giving dowries to bridegrooms will die out. Instead, the parents of prospective grooms will offer bride-prices to tempt the families of the few marriageable girls available. The competition for wives will grow fierce and sometimes deadly. The practice of fighting duels over women will revive in some countries. Honour killings will also become more widespread, and receive wider approval.

Violence and social unrest in the poorer world will increase still further due to the increase in lonely, frustrated young men who have never been able to find a girlfriend, let alone a bride. In the Muslim world and other regions where polygamy is practiced, the existing shortage of women will be further exacerbated. ISIS and its ilk will have legions of angry young misanthropes and misogynists to recruit from.

Patriarchical structures in all countries will grow more oppressive as the few men who can afford women grow more jealous of their possessions. Women, being rare and precious, will be more closely confined, increasingly invisible. More of the Middle East will come to resemble Saudi Arabia. In other countries, a resurgence of chivalry will paint a romantic veneer on the reality of violent competition for mating rights and the growing oppression of women. Art and literature will reflect this; the works of the era will be full of pent-up sexual energy of the sort that was dissipated by modernism, and which were last glimpsed in Western art around the time of Peter Paul Rubens.

Warfare will become nastier and more prevalent. Violence and cruelty will multiply. Without the pacifying and steadying influence women have increasingly brought to society and the world of work in the years spanning female suffrage and the sexual revolution, men will be at each others' throats again. In most of the countries I've been speaking of, the sexual revolution never happened, and now it will never happen.

For South Asia's rape culture, this will be like throwing gasoline on a bonfire. In China, the Party, fearing the consequences of massive gender imbalance, may take over the function of deciding which sex a citizen's child (or in the case of city dwellers, children) should be: 'the Provincial Committee has determined that this year your village must breed only girls.'

Of course, none of these things will happen in countries where there is no particular preference for boys over girls. Are there any countries like that? Some would argue that it is true of all Western countries (whatever that means). Others might say that the Anglo-Saxon countries and perhaps the Scandinavian one are relatively liberated, while men still rule the roost in the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox world, as well as — plus ça change — in France.

Still others will say that, given the residual dominance of men even in the most sexually egalitarian modern societies, we can expect a general preference for boy babies more or less everywhere and, over time, a reduction in the female birth-rate. Attempts will be made to legislate things back to normal, but they will fail (as such attempts always do). The gains of the sexual revolution will melt and crumble piecemeal, like sandcastles.

There is absolutely nothing good about this development. Some will argue that it is good for parents who already have a child (or several) of one sex and want one of the other; but this is a thoroughly trivial benefit to weigh against the massive social effects it will bring about. Most of these will be effects of reversion; many of the features of the bad old days before the Pill will become salient once more.

But population growth will at last be curbed. Perhaps.

edit on 12/7/15 by Astyanax because: it was a long post.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure phuckbots can solve some of those above mentioned problems. In the kitchen, in the bed, she will be glorious, and man will know peace the world over.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Truly a guess on my part. But apparently in the US there is also the Erricson method, which was found with a simple Google search. Your source fails to mention it, probably because it is a company which deals in the method it is trying to sell. Either way, I did not realize we were limited to speaking about the US only.
edit on 12-7-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

As long as you can afford the full-option model. Appearance and functionality will vary with price, just as with any other consumer appliance.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrappedPrincess
I saw a piece on FOX news about this earlier and wanted to take in some of the opinions of the esteemed ATS community before finalizing my own conclusion about this controversial subject. I lean towards non approval BTW so what say you ATS?

Here is a link to one of the clinics that does this sort of procedure and it explains a little bit about the process.Child gender selection clinic

I'd worry for a transgender or intersex child of such parents. For their parents to have invested in their perfectly gendered outcome they might be very harsh towards someone born differently.

Nature is not always 100% in terms of the development of gender in an embryo. Unless they can somehow make it so that 100% of the time gender identity always matches anatomical sex I see major problems with this for those who "fall through the cracks" so to speak.

I am all for transhumanism but this has the potential to hurt a lot of people who are already marginalized.
edit on 14-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join