It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give me some examples of Political Correctness that you disagree with

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumStickNinja

Cool.

I have a problem with people expecting others to be pc.

If a statement offends you then say something.

Just because you are anal you can't expect every person to agree with your nonsense.
edit on 10-7-2015 by highfromphoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

What really bothers me is when some PC issues spill over and involve children. Anytime adults fight over what children should be allowed to do, say or act. I take issue with. And I'm talking young kids, younger than 10, kids that don't yet completely understand the world around them. Telling a kid you can't say Merry Christmas is just stupid, especially when Christmas and Santa go hand in hand. Granted 10 year olds probably realize there's no santa, but hopefully you get my point.

Where were kids told not to say Merry Christmas?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I know why you're mad. But I didn't want that thread to turn into a shouting match like this one will. So I refused to discuss examples .

But your thread your rules. I'm on my way to the dentist I will cite one and respond later .

Zero tolerance in schools in so far that you can't make a gun with your finger .

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

no listen I came here to participate not be judged, yes If you are illegal, you are illegally, and I am the daughter of immigrants

link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
darn good question

undocumented workers instead of illegal immigrants, comes to mind

I'll try to think of another

Just for the record, an "undocumented worker" isn't the same thing as an "illegal immigrant". "Undocumented worker" describes any foreigner without a work visa, even if they come into the country legally.

As an example, I can go to a country right now on a tourist visa or travel visa & be a legal immigrant. But if I apply for a job in that country without getting a work visa, I'm now an undocumented worker. Most countries not only require work visas for foreigners to legally work there, but they also can require companies sponsor that worker before they are given the work visa. Oh, this also applies to if I was a traveling artist & did small-time business in that country without a work visa.

The most common other examples are people that overstay their visas (and don't get them renewed in time) and foreign workers who become recently unemployed. Their work visa may require them to stay employed to stay in the country or stay employed with that specific company in order to stay in the country legally.

That's why the term "undocumented worker" is more accurate, because the problem is much bigger than the proverbial immigrant sneaking across the border. Of course, most people here don't actually care about the facts which is why politicians don't go into these details. Fun fact: The first time I went to do business in Mexico, I was both a legal tourist & an undocumented worker. Our temporary work visas weren't approved in time so me & my colleagues were "illegal workers" for the first week or so.

link   

Let's get ignant in Here!

edit on 10-7-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix
Now I'm expected to say something like they are "slow" or wait here you go how about they have a "developmental disadvantageous"?

Yeah, societal expectations can be a bitch, right? You know... when someone expects something of you, you don't HAVE to comply. You go right ahead and say whatever you want. Just don't expect people to think you're very compassionate or kind and everything will be fine.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Its good you see nothing wrong changing your culture to accommodate the others while them do nothing to accommodate to yours.

Now stop defending PC and be a good host to me? no i dint think so

Culture evolves with society...it's just the way of the world.

When two cultures merge, you are going to come out with a combination of the two cultures. Both sides will see their culture being destroyed by the other, when in reality it is just a merging of the two and you are just focused on what you think you are "losing" as opposed to what you are keeping.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Be a good host now and change because i find you offensive

link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

If it talks like a retard and acts like a retard then it's a retard.

Having to call a PERSON "he" or "she", when really, if it's retarded, it's an IT!

Jesus! WTF is wrong with people??

LOL. my mistake.

He or She may be retarded.

It was a term used for generations. Now I'm expected to say something like they are "slow" or wait here you go how about they have a "developmental disadvantageous"?

So you really aren't joking huh?

You are really upset that you can't call someone a retard anymore?

Wow.

Tell you what...go ahead, call them retards all you want...just don't complain when society judges you. I think what you really want is to be able to do whatever you want without consequence...but sorry, the world doesn't work like that.

Of course not there are consequences for actions or speech.

I don't go around calling a person a retard. Even when they act like a retard I refrain.

(This post is a perfect example.)

link   
It doesn't bother me. I use the words I want to use when I want to use them. I am aware of the various consequences I could suffer from their use, so I take that into account, but it's not like I've stopped using some of the words deemed offensive. I'm pretty politically incorrect in real life. I also cuss like a sailor, pretty much regularly. No one made any of this illegal, you just have to be a big boy and accept that you may get verbally assaulted back for the verbal diarrhea you are spewing. Fairs fair.

link   
double post
edit on 10-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
I know why you're mad. But I didn't want that thread to turn into a shouting match like this one will. So I refused to discuss examples .

But your thread your rules. I'm on my way to the dentist I will cite one and respond later .

Zero tolerance in schools in so far that you can't make a gun with your finger .

yes, I had second thoughts about posting my opinion, there are many terms I don't wish to offend anyone.

NOw once my husband call co-worker an African American, and the guy went ballistic on him, told him he was just an American, and recently he was told by his boss not to call the Mexicans co-workers Mexican.

Soooooooo, it's getting a little confusing.
edit on 123131p://bFriday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Not necessarily.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
"the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against."

Should this apply to anyone under the Constitution regardless of who you are? Political correctness is just a way to herd the people in a direction the government sees fit.

If you think about it, anything bad said directed to the government political correctness would apply. It undermines free speech. Soon we wont be able to vote because it would just be politically incorrect to vote for "insert name here".

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Demoting Pluto from a planet! Elitist, Liberal, educated, scientist, I tell ya. I'll call it a planet if I want to.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Cool.

I have a problem with people expecting others to be pc.

If a statement offends you then say something.

Just because you are anal you can't expect every person to agree with your nonsense.

And at the same time, you can't expect every person to be ok with you using terms that have been deemed by society as negative.

Go ahead, use your non-PC terms...call people retards...just don't complain when you either lose your job over it, lose friends over it, or are confronted about it.

Here is a little test to see if you are in the wrong...if you know you are going to get backlash for using a certain term and you place the blame on people being too sensitive....you are in the wrong.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

That's not a bad idea though. Instead of the regional prefix in front of American, how about we just call each other just American? The rest of the world doesn't make that distinction, and most of us have been here at least a generation. We are American through and through. Very few "African"-Americans in this country could move back to Africa and fit in with the locals. They stand out like sore thumbs just as badly as you or I would.

If a black guy yelled at me to call him American instead of African-American, I think I'd thank him.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

So anytime one uses a term somebody else doesn't like, you're automatically wrong and they're right?

Huh.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ironhawke
Honest Republican.

Evil Liberal.

Conservative Morals.

Freedom Loving Fundamentalist.

I could go on.

I'm not sure, and I don't want to nit-pick, but I believe those are oxymorons, not PC statements.

LOL, I'm kidding of course.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join