It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misandry in the Media ~Fat, Lazy, and Stupid American Men

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
How many sitcoms have you watched where the men are nothing more then lazy, fat and stupid? Especially if they are a father. They lie, constantly screw up, and are generally selfish. Have you noticed it in commercials? They are everywhere, particularly in any commercial that has a cleaning product, shopping, cooking, or food.

I know a lot of good men. And a lot of good fathers. The one common trait that they all have in common is thick skin. Not to say that they don't have emotions (they know well enough to hide them) but that they understand that in our society they stand alone. No one is there to help them and they'll hardly be praised.

The unfortunate fact is that women make up 80% of consumer spending. So most marketing of consumer goods is geared towards women. And boy do they know how to market. Sitcoms and commercials perpetuate each other like a flushing toilet of never ending misandric dung.

I was going to post this thread a while back, but didn't find the time. However, since a commercial I saw from the toilet paper "Angel Soft", I felt compelled to make sure I wrote this thread:

"Happy Father's Day, Mom"? This is a commercial that tells mom's how much they are appreciated, on Father's day! This was the tipping point for me as that day it seemed like every other social media post was "Happy Father's day to all the 'good' dads out there, and the moms that have to play both roles". Can you imagine something like that on Mother's day?! I cant. I'd be just as irate as I am now, and probably more. But no one bats an eyelash at this. (FYI: $21.2 billion was spent on Mother's day for 2015, while just $12.7 billion was spent on Father's day for gifts)

Angel Soft's ridiculous commercial;

This youtuber has a whole 22 part series called "Misandry in the Media" where he points out the double standards in how the sexes are portrayed in commercials. As he reiterates in his videos, "it's not that one commercial in itself is wrong, but that so many commercials portray men as idiots".

YouTube Channel: Vinnie Mac

Here is one of his videos. Take it with a grain of salt, he has made so many of these that his anger becomes more obvious with each video.

Misandry in the Media, Part 14

I've grown tired of misandry that is praised throughout society. Women on Tumblr posting "I drink male tears", or always hearing feminist shout "all men are rapists".

I've felt it, That awkward moment when your walking down an empty hallway and a woman is walking towards you, (God forbid it's dark) Your guilty until proven innocent. Or the snark look when you don't hold a door, or being ignored and denied a simple thank you when you do.

Chivalry is dead because misandry is thriving. I know I stopped holding doors open, except for the elderly, or adults with kids. A young woman, forget it. I'm not going to waste my time. More men are going MGTOW and living for themselves, and I don't blame them.

Ghost
edit on 7-7-2015 by ghostrager because: (no reason given)

Here are some of the best MGTOW contributors on youtube. Some excellent videos;

Thinking Ape

barbarossa

Monkey

Spetsnaz

Spetsnaz is hard hitting; here is one of his videos, "The Disposable Male". It shines a bright light on the perspective of males in society, their disposability, and female privilege as a result. He says some harsh truths that are tough for a lot of men (and maybe women) to hear. He starts speaking at about :40

Ghost
edit on 8-7-2015 by ghostrager because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Finally. These characterizations of the average man have been going on now for decades. If a man is not being made out as a sex symbol, he is being made out to be an idiot, a moron, a fool, a nitwit, a slovenly buffoon.
And it seems that in the last couple of years, they have gotten more and more moronic.
How about those two guys in a car.. Can't tell you what product because I just don't know. Both morons and the thing is it is not just a one timer. These two are in how many, a dozen commercials? Two dozen. They are like idiotic spokesmen for what ever that product is. It makes no since to me other than that there is some kind of social engendering going on there.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

I've noticed that it is not socially accepted to acknowledge sexism against males in the US culture.

I put up an article on Facebook the other day about the legal rights women have in the US, that men do not. Pure facts.
An uneasy "silence" came from my american family (usually all vocal about many social issues).
My kids "liked" it, and my french friends asked me , hey, were those true?
The men have rights here that they do not have in the US, so they had trouble believing it.
My kids weren't raised in the US, so they had no idea they were being "innppropriate" in even liking and commenting on it - I felt kinda bad about that - I knew I was risking disapproval with the family, they didn't. They didn't know these were facts that are not to be spoken of.

But I repeatedly find it funny how in a "Patriarchial" culture, it is socially unacceptable to support rights for men, and fashionable, and praised, to support women's rights (even to denigrate men).

Shouldn't it be the other way around, if this is a Patriarchy???
edit on 8-7-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

there is a very good youtube channel by a user called: bane666_au. his videos are thorough in addressing men's rights issues.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Added to OP.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I have too many points of views swirling around to pick out any one worth mentioning. All I'll say is that, yes, it should be called out the same for both sexes, and if one does not align with the culture, they will suffer, else be rewarded immensely for being (only) one step ahead.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I hear what you're saying, and I don't like seeing it, either...

On the other side, a good portrayal of a guy, in my mind, is Mike, the dad on the show, "The Middle." Just saying, I like that guy, even if he's not super successful, money wise.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I tilted at this windmill for years, finally had to walk away it was making me angry all the time and found myself turning in to what I hate.

Good post.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
The mass media panders to the lowest common denominator. Consequently, the usual archetypes of mass media begin to resemble them. This isn't a conspiracy of misandry or misogyny, but one of supply and demand.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Part of the issue is the constant interfacing with the hardcore hobbyists and professionals day in and day out on this topic. Somewhere in between Jessica Valenti's Guardian column and Bane666_au (or any other youtuber of this sort) is a bunch of pretty reasonable and normal people. (Not saying that these people can't ever be reasonable.)

I find it odd that both the Men's Rights Activists (who most often claim sexist and / or violent media doesn't influence culture) and third wave tumblr Feminists are constantly seeking each other out to duel whilst both referencing each other as evidence for whatever cause du jour is in the headlines that week.

I'm actually morbidly curious what a three week cease fire might look like; as in how much of this crazy stuff is just the same twenty people having a knife fight in a phone box?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Does anyone else see the humor in this? Someone at a marketing meeting decided they needed to compare mothers to something we wipe our asses with. They were also careful to include black guy, white straight guy, white gay guy, white woman, and black woman. They dont want Hispanics using their toilet paper evidently.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
You are right, BUT there is a problem. I have no complaints with the information you are presenting, the media DOES stereotype men like you described and it should be called out just like other stereotypes are called out. But here is where I am a little concerned, it is VERY easy to work under the guise of exposing misandry and start deviating into misogyny with your beliefs. I know some feminists do this in reverse (like you pointed out in the op), I just think it is a tad harder to do it as a woman only because the system DOES overly favor men in most cases.

So while I agree you are on the right track, I'm just cautioning you to be careful with how you present your arguments (though I have no complaints about this particular OP).

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It's ALL covered in Quiet waepons for silent wars...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Good reading for sure Cav. Available in PDF free on the web.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Before, men we're almost always the pillar of family. They we're caretakers, protectors. workers and representatives.

There's been this ongoing war against family in the medias since a veeeery long time, the social conditioning of individualistic views. Women might be liberated, but are they happier? Is their family happier?

I find it disgusting that women have been pushed down for many many years but now, there are just too many women out there that feel that men are inferior. Social conditioning.

On top of that, education is mostly oriented towards women brains and women traits. Women have been conditioned for centuries to just shut up and repeat...exactly what the education system prefers. I won't go into details on that but my point is, society and the medias have been bashing men and boasting women for quite a while now.

I see it but it's hard to speak out about it. There's still a stigma because women have also been conditioned to believe that western society still isn't fair towards women, thus, talks of equality often are flagged for being misogynous.

I don't how long this will last but I doubt it's over...the people in power won't let society go back to having strong families so easily.
edit on 8-7-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
OP, you're half right. You made a good point that men are portrayed as stupid, fat and lazy in sitcoms and commercials. LOL Really good point. The most famous men on TV perhaps being Homer Simpson, and Al Bundy.

However, that doesn't negatively affect/effect men in any meaningful way.. Neither does the Father's day commercial or anything like that.

There is NO War on Family values. That's a myth perpetrated by the "poor me" crowd. Those weak males that have no backbone and can't take responsibility for their own lives. They must find someone to blame and that of course is Women.

Grow a pair mates and take responsibility for your own lives. I do. No woman walks all over me. The non existent war on family fails to hurt me or my family.

The truth is that men are CEOs and presidents of most of the big companies in the world. Men make more films. Men make up most of the military and military leadership in the world. Men make more money than women. Men generally have more power than women. Men make up most of the world leaders and men hold most political offices in the US

Stop being victims and take control of your lives.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The days the dull boring straight man dad are over. Heck most of the time both the parents play the comedy role and straight person is one of the kids. What does it mean? What effect does it have on society? About the same as older out of shape men in movies always having young smoking hot women after them. Nobody watches sitcoms for realism.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

I agree with this completely.

Traditional family structure has been under attack for some time. After the second wave of feminism, divorces skyrocketed with women initiating 70% of divorces. They recieve primary custody 80% of the time, and 85% of child support payments are made by the men to the women.

The laws are structured in favor of women and gives them no incentive to stay married as the goverment will take care of her.

The devastating part of all this is that so many studies show the high risk of drug use, teenage pregnancies, lack of education, and poverty that plagues children raised by single mothers.

The cycle isn't going to improve, and neither will society, until gynocentrism is acknowledged as a social problem and fathers have equality. After that, the divorce rate will go down, and the risks to children and youth will be minimized ultimately benefiting society.

Ghost

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
And many people think the MSM, TV shows, commercials, etc. are not used for propaganda.

Everything involving money and advertising is on the hook.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'll agree that the men were portrayed horribly in those videos. However, women were too. The creator of that video is quick to point out the flaws in the women, but but he only looks at how damaging it is to portray men like that that, and fails to see that that they are insulting and damaging to women too. In most of those videos BOTH sexes were being insulted.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join