It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A man live in the forest for 30 years with no human contact

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
Thanks for a great read!
I'll admit that there have been times when walking into the woods seemed like the answer.
I find it incredibly sad that he's been forced back into this society. I guess we have no room in our society for hermits.

Was he forced back into society or just forced back into interacting with society?
Seems he was in society all along, taking stuff, reading stuff, listening to the radio, etc. he simply didn't talk to people.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: Night Star

Well at least in a shtf scenario he'll know what to do. Most people living in his situation would have died.

Will he really know what to do? He wasn't out there surviving on his own. He was helping himself to the things he needed to survive, like propane tanks---who would refill those tanks in a shtf situation?
Apparently he went into the woods with little preparation.
I just hope he can find peace. Perhaps some good soul will deed him a bit of woods and an opportunity to live in peace, on his terms.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

A thief he may have been sir, but common?

I rather think not.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: diggindirt
Thanks for a great read!
I'll admit that there have been times when walking into the woods seemed like the answer.
I find it incredibly sad that he's been forced back into this society. I guess we have no room in our society for hermits.

Was he forced back into society or just forced back into interacting with society?
Seems he was in society all along, taking stuff, reading stuff, listening to the radio, etc. he simply didn't talk to people.

Either way, I imagine he's having a tough time of it.
Yes, he was reading and had access to radio for a time but those aren't in any real way representative of society. I really can't imagine what a jolt it would be to be introduced to today's society after nearly 30 years.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Enjoyable read to say the least. S&F

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I'm sorry a week with no plumming and you can roll me up and send
my ass to county. Shower, three hots and a cot and release date.

Ah feel ya, nature is kool and all and when you go out and see green there is the ooooh and ahaaaaaaa!! but after three days, it's just GREEN!!! then there is all that chirping sound and racket at five am for no freaking reason, plus little bugs that eat you, give me the melodic sound of an ambulance or traffic, the reassurance of neighbors arguing it give me a sense of belonging even if you are alone in a city filled with strangers and strange things.

edit on 6-7-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Someone should probably ask the fellow "if a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it does it make a sound"?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I don't care where he lived, his choice. Forty break ins a year to do his shopping? who the hell does he think he is? Living in the woods changes nothing. Lots of non social people living in tents in the cities. I don't think anybody would like it if they came into your house every time they got hungry. If he likes to be alone, put him in solitary confinement.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Living in the woods in your home country for 30 years is pretty cool and all.

But...

This dude hid in a foreign country and refused to surrender until personally ordered by his former commanding officer. Dude legit continued fighting world war 2 until 1974.

And he wasn't even the last holdout, either.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Yep, and just recently passed away.

You can see my thread here on him: www.abovetopsecret.com...

To the OP:

I read about this guy last year, I'm pretty sure there was a thread on him on ATS. Cool story, but the guy was certainly a bit crazy.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

it's just GREEN!!!

Yeah admittedly, I'd lean towards Mrs. Douglas.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Yes, I have read the whole thing.

I kept thinking, he's more than I expected from a hermit. Possibly because he'd reflected so much upon life and nature and everything else in between, that he's wiser than most. He talks like a book and lives like a novel. Cast away (tom hanks)?

I find him more civil and educated than kids who grew up with MTV, video games, and commercials/infomercials etc... (like me?)

Kudos, Hermit Hero! I salute you! Drink more Lady's Drinks or whatever your palette craves for.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Best read iv read in a while, wonder what he's upto now?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Awesome story! He seems pretty level headed despite no human contact for so many years. It definitely takes a special type of person to be able to handle that.

Very interesting story indeed

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
That was very interesting and intense.

I'm more amazed that he is alive from all those winters he spent in Maine. MAINE not California's or Florida's winters but in MAINE...wow.

I wonder if he can talk to animals...

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
A man who hasn't seen "us" in almost 30 years, summed up the truth of our society in a few words -

"Sitting here in jail, I don’t like what I see in the society I’m about to enter. I don’t think I’m going to fit in. It’s too loud. Too colorful. The lack of aesthetics. The crudeness. The inanities. The trivia."

How long will it take us to see it?

That really hits the nail on the head.
The problem is that not only do we see it but we've learned to embrace it and call it our culture.
It's not culture but a hodge-podge of inane trivia without substance or deeper meaning.
Culture is organic and full of intrinsic meaning and aesthetics, it's what makes Roman artifacts look Roman or Greek look like ancient Greece.
We have lost our true culture and traded it for this never ending carnival ride of media distractions.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Seems like his lot would IMPROVE in prison...kept warm, 3 squares a day, etc. Even solitary would pose no real challenge.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is a fairly old story, now... I'm almost certain someone posted it here on ATS six months to a year ago.

Maybe not. I live in Maine so I guess I could have heard it elsewhere.

I'm just amazed the guy didn't get shot when they found him.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

I have to say his feats are amazing. I mean living alone on the woods for almost 30 years is impressive. Most people if they were alone would probably go insane.

Yeah, except that he broke into peoples' homes and stole from them. Other than that, it's pretty amazing.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Ah yes. I heard about this man. I live in Maine actually. Pretty close to where he's being kept. I was rather shocked at how long he had been hiding but not surprised that he could using these woods. I find this man and his life rather fascinating.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
This is a fairly old story, now... I'm almost certain someone posted it here on ATS six months to a year ago.

Maybe not. I live in Maine so I guess I could have heard it elsewhere.

I'm just amazed the guy didn't get shot when they found him.

I'm not amazed about that actually. Cops aren't particularly trigger happy around here, at least from my experience living here. I feel like we have a lot of good friendly cops up here. Maybe if he made sudden movements but from what I was reading, he complied instantly.

Now if you're referring to a homeowner shooting him, yeah. Lots of gun owners here. But seeing as he was a ninja apparently, no one had a chance to.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join