It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing the Shadow Government, I.E. WINDOWS 10 And Your Very Own A. I. Assistant!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienDNA
a reply to: Dr X

And I welcome the changes, I really do, I hope one day someone will figure out how to run Windows based games that fully utilize hardware acceleration from your graphics card, and dont have to be emulated in the same way.
Its the same effect on playing Playstation 2 games on an Emulator. Even with a very decent computer, its unplayable at times due to the poor coding of the emulator..

Im betting there is a way around it, and someone will figure it out.
But until then, WIndows it is; - or; Official Linux ports of windows games.

By the way.. Wine is not an emulator. In fact the name itself stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"

It is simply a compatibility layer wrapper and as I have found in many cases can run Windows software equally fast on Linux as I could on Windows. I use FL Studio Pro all the time which was designed for Windows within Wine on Linux and it is equally fast.
Even within the last year incredible leaps have been made in both the Linux kernel, Wine, and desktop environments. When was the last time you gave Linux a shot? What distro?

Most of your assumptions are all too common but simply do not hold true for everyone. Just because you had issues getting games to play or couldn't find software you wanted for a particular setup does not mean everyone will experience the same situation.
There is plenty of important software I use for Linux that I know for a fact will not run well, if at all, on Windows.
"But until then, WIndows it is". Maybe for you

At least I can see the source code of my OS and Web Browser, and is peered over by an unthinkable amount of developers so if something was amiss like a back door it would be wide out in the open and noticed.
People using Microsoft Windows and this re-badged Edge browser aren't so lucky.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Unfortunately, for most folks who do not opt out of all of the many Google services (which is over 150), this is already occurring. It's not as if having voice integration in any OS or browser will add much to what they can already find out.. courtesy of the NSA.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
ITT: Technophobes in denial about carbon-based lifeforms inevitably merging with their silicon-base superiors.

Nothing to see here except for more futile resistance to the supersedence of a long-defunct model...

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I bet it will do as good as Vista did...

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: paxnatus

If you honestly think that Win10 will glean more info on you than google or apple already has, you're sadly mistaken. Everything about you is already cataloged and saved. You use google, gmail, hotmail, yahoo, facebook, twitter, iTunes, and a thousand other products that do nothing but remember what you do and save it somewhere. You're personality is already on the web. You're using the term A.I. incorrectly. What this assistant does is just learn stuff about you that it fits into algorithms and demographics. Artificial Intelligence is self-aware. A.I. doesn't just learn about you, it learns about itself. It develops it's own personality and moral code based on the few rules set before it. While A.I. is not far off, Windows 10 assistant is certainly not it. It's nothing new either.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: darklife

Hello!
Obviously I stated MY opionion. This is a discussion forum no, and opionions can be freely thrown around

You are right that I generalise, but so does linux users when it comes to windows. They also generalise and always througs around the cliches about virues, slow, clunky, etc - which simply isnt true for the savvy win-user.

And Ive tried linux on many occasions, I used it on my laptop for over 2 years, and then I used Linux Mint.
I enjoy much of what is Linux, but at the end of the day - Windows is all that matters.

And if you seriously compare the DAWs avaliable to Linux with those avaliable to PC or Mac - hmm. Comon.
Cubase, Protools and Logic - there is no getting around these three are the best, and some random up-and-commers, like FL studio and that tracker based one, which I forget the name.

Sure, it was a few years ago I checked the then current DAWs and it might have changed over time! If so, great!

I shared my experience with linux, and shared my opinion with it aswell. Thanks for sharing yours!
No need for any personal "attack" or insult, we are just discussing different opinions thats all.

And no Im not worriyng about anyone spying on me, I got that covered

Someone else said something about a NSA backdoor but not me.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: darklife

Great! Im happy that you are satisifed with your Linux installation, and Im not taking that away from anyone!

I also tried using Reason within Wine, but Had great troubles using Cubase through Wine - and it was simply Impossible for me to get the drivers needed for my extrenal soundcard to be used as the ASIO driver, and that might be due to me not being linux-savvy at all, but so I gave up.
In windows there is no hassle, so I chose windows...
Its simple really, a very basic argument!

edit on 8-7-2015 by alienDNA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
and Apple co-founder wozniak recently said he got over his fear of a.i. when he realized we would all become it's pet!

that's their great hope for "progress"? to become pets of super-robots?

--------------------
yt: Lee Strobel - The Case for the Resurrection
www.youtube.com...
yt: The Bible Is True! ~ The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict
www.youtube.com...
yt: Walter Veith (13) Battle of the Bibles /Total Onslaught
www.youtube.com...
youtube: The Resurrection Argument That Changed a Generation of Scholars - Gary Habermas at UCSB youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Verum1quaere
and Apple co-founder wozniak recently said he got over his fear of a.i. when he realized we would all become it's pet!

that's their great hope for "progress"? to become pets of super-robots?

Woz has a habit of not being ultra serious. That sounds more like a joke than anything.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
And when the software has learnt everything about humans and our history and what we do in private, Skynet will be born.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: netbound
For me personally, I don't worry at all about the stuff above. I guess what concerns me is the extension of that into other aspects of our personal lives. The "Internet of Things" kinda bugs me. When that gets into full swing, we will have lost the last of our privacy. When everything in our home is connected and monitoring our activities we become an open book and we're broadcasting it to the world (or to whomever cares to listen).

I'm a little uncomfortable with all the data generated. I think that there's a lot of very cool uses for it but the people generating this data don't really have any good ethical guidelines as to how data can be saved and used. Most companies will hand over their data to anyone that can pay and some of the things that allows for and will eventually allow for aren't quite so benevolent. Basically, the technology is sound but the laws relating to the technology need to catch up. Most notably I think that we need to move to a sort of royalty system where the person who sits at the device and generates data retains some rights to the data they create, it shouldn't belong entirely to the company that manufactured the device.

I'm a software engineer myself, and I love hi-tech. AI is a fascinating and challenging field, and I support it's rapidly advancing development. But, there are certain lines that I believe are best not crossed. The "Internet of Things" (not AI itself) is, IMO, not being developed in order to enrich our lives. It crosses the line. It's simply a means to an end; the end being to maximize corporate profits at the expense of our privacy. To me that's anything but a noble undertaking, and is a price too high to pay.

What really scares me with AI isn't the initial AI itself, but rather what happens at the AI develops. As I've understood it AI's use languages like Lisp and others which allows the AI to modify it's own code over time. That scares me because it's taking the controls and safeguards out of human hands and one day that's going to lead to a machine making an important decision based entirely on it's own criteria it has written for itself outside of any human ethics.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Mine will keep bugging me with a short phrase: "Sir, do you require more T&A sites to be pulled from the internet for your pleasure today?"

Excuse the bad joke. I'm as concerned about this as anybody, well, maybe I've given up being concerned because there is noting we can do to hide our activities from being collected...and used against us if they have the need or desire.

All of us on this site are probably on some "list" already anyway.

But still cause for concern.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I'm not the sharpest bulb in the lemonade stand, but would this also have anything to do with net neutrality?

The more of your posts that I read the more I like you.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
ehh we need the shadow government

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join