It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultures that do not embrace space travel, are they "flawed" or "doomed"?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: Phage

I am wondering how workmen would have levered this block out of the ground in the Aswan Quarry.
www.ancient-origins.net...

As you will see there is precious little room to manoeuvre leverage poles within the space around this block which weighed 1168 tons. Interestingly, it was also still attached to the ground, not having been cut away yet, which suggests a capability I suspect we don't have the ability to match today.

I appreciate the stone was split, but we don't know when that occurred. It would not be logical for workmen to have laboured on such a huge task if they did not think they could cut it free then lift it up from its bed and move it.

Flinders Petrie was of the opinion that machining took place in ancient Egypt. As machining technology was in its infancy in the early 1900's, the attached article makes the point that it is only in recent decades that "modern-looking machine tool marks have been fully recognised" that match the marks found in the quarries there.

That obelisk split while it was being worked on which is why they went no further. I went there in the 90's and if you travel with a knowledgeable guide you learn a lot about the technology of the times without needing to speculate that it wouldn't have been possible/probable.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
There was a scism at one point, that now we do have a culture which embraces space travel, even the far-flung notion that it's part of our destiny. I'm thinking about where and what was the genesis of it, almost in a scholarly way....trying to list which past cultures embraced it.

I posted some relevant artwork as an inspiration. Great discussion, I'm open to more thoughts...
edit on 16-7-2015 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The nearest occupiable planet is who knows how far... Who would waste such money when it would be no use for them?
Seems like too much of a pain due to crap loads of danger and possibly no reward. Its just easier to kick the bucket

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Both. We have to leave this planet eventually due to over population or the Sun giving out. One day we must leave and a religion that would demand suicide is both flawed and doomed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join