It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon launches program to tax drivers by the mile

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The State of Oregon is starting up a program to get those people with electric cars back into the tax vacuum.

Sounds like they plan to somehow *tax by the mile* and eliminate the gasoline tax.

A GPS device will be the monitor of your travels.

Apparently the "pilot" program is voluntary.

They never give up do they.

Go OReGO.

David Hastings is a rare American. This long-time hybrid car owner from Oregon wants to pay higher taxes for roads and bridges and says the current 30 cents per gallon state gas tax barely affects him.

"I've been free-loading on the highways for 20 years driving electric cars or hybrid cars, getting at least 40 miles to the gallon. So I haven't been paying my share," Hastings said.

Now, Hastings will pay more thanks to OReGO -- the first pay-by-the-mile program in the U.S.

Who Gets Rich from this "Plan"?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Sounds like they plan to somehow *tax by the mile* and eliminate the gasoline tax.

The only problem with that the state government will just do an add-on to the already taxed (by State and Feds) price of fuel . They will not eliminate anything.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I can already see the the effect of their new drug laws....lol I would stop letting those fools up there smoke pot at work in the Oregon State House. They need to stop taxing or people will just leave like people in California did in the 90's.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This David Hastings makes no sense. He has paid less gas taxes, however he is not contributing to pollution so much. That evens him out.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

David is a good guy! However the State wants it's Revenue by God and they are going to get it. This is a Road Tax. So lets say David the Good guy drives 35 miles a day to work, he's gonna pay for that. And that levies a tax against people who wanted to help our environment and save money to begin with. They have taken Davids incentive and found yet another way to throw a tax taxpayers and drivers now... Yes our good guy pays less in the Fuel surcharge, however another revenue stream has been created to get some cash from him....

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Yeah, that dude is a total shill. Or otherwise effected.

No one wants to volunteer to pay more taxes for the whole state. And if they do, they should be ignored.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Oregon is in a big debt spiral ....

no wonder they need more revenue.

Oregon Bust-outs

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Obviously the people that make and install the GPS systems. And the companies that will translate the data into your tax bill. Time to get in on the ground floor because if
it's corporate sponsored, it will be mandatory and a law before you can say "Preferential treatment for the elitist oligarchs"

edit on 3-7-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
IF ...IF they get rid of the fuel tax, this is the fairest method of taxing for road infrastructure. You use the road, you pay to keep it painted and pothole-free. Every gets hosed according to how much they use it.

If they really wanted to make it "fair", it would be a linearly increasing tax per mile based on the weight of your vehicle divided by the number and width of your tires (rough comparison to how much damage/pressure you are putting on the road). And the revenue would be restricted to use on transportation/road costs.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Fix potholes?Riiiiiigggggghhhhhhttttt!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
greed and deperation. . . they really need to go lie in a ditch.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The State of Oregon is starting up a program to get those people with electric cars back into the tax vacuum.

It's going to happen. Gas mileage continues to increase, inflation continues to lessen the value of the dollar, and roads still need to be repaired. Gas taxes have largely remained static through decreasing revenues due to better efficiency and inflation. If we want our roads to remain in good repair the gas tax needs to be raised, except raising it doesn't solve this issue forever and instead moving to a mileage based system is pretty much the only option.

Considering roads are a necessity to a functioning economy and national defense there really isn't an option here.

Honestly, I would think those on the right would love the gas tax. It's much closer to a consumption based tax than anything else we have and it's used entirely on something that's required for defense and commerce two things specifically mentioned in the constitution. Yet, it's one of the taxes they attack the most.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Apparently the "pilot" program is voluntary.

They never give up do they.

Go OReGO.

David Hastings is a rare American. This long-time hybrid car owner from Oregon wants to pay higher taxes for roads and bridges and says the current 30 cents per gallon state gas tax barely affects him.

"I've been free-loading on the highways for 20 years driving electric cars or hybrid cars, getting at least 40 miles to the gallon. So I haven't been paying my share," Hastings said.

Now, Hastings will pay more thanks to OReGO -- the first pay-by-the-mile program in the U.S.

This topic has come up a few times in recent years.

In Australia this will relegate a large section of the masses to public transport which is about 10th rate so this will financially destroy thousands of people due the long distances to get to anyplace with a name, particularly in the West.

Even in the built up areas it could have this effect due to the sprawling towns and cities.

Mind you, I reckon this kind of move is another Agenda 21 piece being placed into position.

The screws are tightening. The plan goes on.

Question: with these kinds of things is it better to be awake and know about these things or is it better to be a sheeple. Sometimes I wonder about the wisdom of being awake as they say.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
There has been talk of implementing this in Michigan as well. I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Not looking forward to it, as we drive about 2,000 miles a month for personal use in a big ol' less than stellar fuel efficient conversion van.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I dont mind the tax on gasoline as long as its used for road maintenance and any such. But as soon as you factor in cronism all the tax revenue is at risk of misappropriation.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
This is just another way of "chipping" you if you aren't carrying a cell phone.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Gotta shakedown the population for as much as they can.

Here in GA they just took away the tax credit for alternative fuel (electric) vehicles but added a new $200 registration fee for said vehicles. This averages out to MORE in taxes than gasoline owners pay.

PLUS, they gave a tax break to Mercedes Benz employees who lease cars through their company.

Government: Stickin' it to the average person 24/7.

Makes me sick.

ETA: They've *talked* about the pay-by mile here, too. Ugh.
edit on 4-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Isn't this an issue of State's Rights?

Oregon as a sovereign state has the right to tax as it will ... right?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen They never give up do they.

certainly never of their own volition. they can only be forcibly stopped. that depends on how much joe citizen is prepared to let them get away with.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Two issues here.

First, a GPS installed in my car? This is a conspiracy site, come on people.

Second. I get a gas card from work to pay for my driving, since I'm forced to drive 50 to 130ish miles a day for work. How am I covered now? Will my company pay the tax? Or will I get to write it off?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join