It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And so it begins - Robot Crushes Contractor to Death at VW Motor Plant in Germany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
AI, T3... out of a movie scene but unfortunately it happened. According to the sources an operator at a plant of VW in Germany was crushed and killed by a robot. The man was resuscitated for a bit by the emergency team but died later in hospital.

Prosecutors are investigating the death of a worker who was crushed by a robotic system he was setting up at a Volkswagen plant in the Kassel district of Germany, authorities and VW said Wednesday.

Heiko Hillwig, a VW spokesman, told the local newspaper Hessische Niedersächsische Allgemeine that the man — who worked for a contractor and was identified only as being from the German state of Saxony — was killed Monday at a plant in the town of Baunatal, north of Frankfurt, where VW is starting a new production line for electric motors.

www.nbcnews.com...

There is also the original source in german for german speaking members.

www.hna.de...

There is no much info in the NBC news so we still can't tell if it was a wrong command by the operator or the robot acted on its own. I have a feeling that this won't be the last time we hear for an accident of this kind.
edit on 2-7-2015 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Telos

I work for Nissan. We had a similar incident happen 15 years ago or so.

Those robots have so many safeguards and safety precautions installed.

A pen slipped out of the guy's front pocket and hit a switch. He did not have the robot locked out properly which played a huge part.

Skynet? Unlikely,not in this case

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Meh. It was a clear case of carelessness.
Just today, I was told about the scars on the hands of an electrician whom I know personally.

He came one day to work on a medium-high-voltage switching substation and dropped the line to a building where he wanted to test the wiring.

He did not tell any other technician that he was doing those testings or that he was powering off that building.

He even didn't put the compulsory sign "This line is being worked on, . Don't turn it on!" on!

The voltage was switched back on without his knowing as the switched-off circuit-breaked could have come from a normal electrical problem.

He was unable to get his hands off the wires. He saw the smoke coming from them but thought that those weren't his hands, until he passed out and dropped away from the wires.

He made it.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
First they start by making cars, next week they will be using humans as a power source. Hide your kids hide your wife.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Was the worker's name John Conner?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

AND SO IT ENDS....

Thread Should be Closed & Continued Above....
edit on nd21Thu, 02 Jul 2015 09:21:08 -0500K201570831am7 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Telos
I have a feeling that this won't be the last time we hear for an accident of this kind.

This is by far the first time that someone has been killed by a robotic machine before...I think you're letting your sci-fi mind take over for logic on this topic.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I have a feeling that this won't be the last time we hear for an accident of this kind.

This is by far the first time that someone has been killed by a robotic machine before...I think you're letting your sci-fi mind take over for logic on this topic.

OH?

Check out the details of the earlier thread mentioned above about a death back in about 1972.
edit on 2-7-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The Pseudocode programing in these machines if we are talking about the robotic arms you see in the plants are as follows.

Very basic terms

Is Car there?
If YES
Execute Fitting Programme
Else
Stop

Plus the program checks for things that might get in the way using various motion sensors 30 times every second.

They don't have any self defence code if a human tries to get in the way they just stop. I suspect one of the motion sensors gave an incorrect reading to the computer or something similar.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
To a hammer, anything and everything is a nail.
That's what happened here.

Silly sensationalist drivel is silly.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

OH?

Check out the details of the earlier thread mentioned above about a death back in about 1972.

Thanks for pointing that out aliensun. Some members really have a terrible habit of not reading what the thread contains and the worst part is, they think they can give advices too. Oh well...

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
OH?

Okay...done. And?

Thanks for pointing that out aliensun. Some members really have a terrible habit of not reading what the thread contains and the worst part is, they think they can give advices too. Oh well...

Where did I think I can "give advices?" All I said is my opinion of what I think is happening in this instance of the overactive imagination used to write the title of this thread. Give me a break...I read the thread--I really did--and nothing indicates some advanced AI had malicious intent in order to show humans who is in charge.

Did you read any of it?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
ridiculous fear mongering

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: SirKonstantin

AND SO IT ENDS....

Please continue there thank you.

top topics

join