It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Land Pulls 'Dukes of Hazzard' Reruns

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Daisey Duke will be banned in due time, in a few years her attire and general behavior will be declared as sexist , all posters and material of her will be ordered removed and burnt, speaking of her of uttering her name or acting like her will be illegal.

edit on 2-7-2015 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Is this anything like staring adversity in the face and then deciding to invade Poland? At what point do a people stop celebrating their moxie and realize they were wrong? Not conditionally or relatively wrong - just wrong

No it's more like solidarity from the 80's in Poland rather than a nazi invasion.
I'm Polish and Irish, so I have more repression in my bloodlines than some small villages do. So, tell me if we'd have lost the Revolutionary war and since the victors write the history then we'd be somehow wrong then too? Something to think about.

Nazi Germany and the Confederacy shared some racial ideals, but it's really a stretch to compare outright genocide to slavery. Both are horrible and wrong, but the different is vast, as vast as the difference on how WWII and the Civil War were started.

Germany was broke and desperate, still hurting from WWI. It was the perfect storm for a madman like Hitler to take the helm.

All that being said, I think we need to remember the past, but quit living in it. My Irish ancestors were sold by the British as slaves, should I be offended by a Union Jack? My wife is German, should I not have married her because some of her relatives we're probably nazi's? Get my drift? Where's all the Irishmen bitching about being "repressed"?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I've not yet read all the thread but would like to chime in on the ridiculousness of it all ... from an Aussie point of view.

As mentioned by HumansEh on Page 2, I doubt many foreigners would have known of the significance of the Confederate flag before this recent uproar. I had certainly seen the flag many times but never knew what it was, nor had any inclination to find out.

Now, I'm trying to do/think the right things in my life, live and let live, do unto others etc etc ... you know, be PC ... so I researched the history of the flag and the reasons for the civil war.

I first noted the Battle Flag was created to differentiate opposing flags on the battle field - Stars and Bars were too similar to the Yankee flag. The Battle Flag was designed for NO other reason. I noted ONE flag sporting the Battle Flag that had racist connotations, The Stainless Banner. And this was where I lost the point of the debate. The flag under controversy is the Battle Flag, not The Stainless Banner. I saw no reason for controversy in the Battle Flag itself. So I looked at the reasons for the war.

One explanation stated that the rich slave owners of the south saw economic disaster in loosing their slave labor. It said however, that most white landowners of the south were too poor to own slaves. The rich slave owners convinced the poorer white farmers to fight for them on the issue of "states rights" (discussed next) because they would not understand the slave issue.

An opposing explanation stated that the southern states were being forced to buy commodities from the northern production states, rather than purchasing from abroad (IIRC). This was an economic/states rights issue and had nothing to do with slaves, however the Northern public didn't understand the states rights issue, so the ownership of slaves was introduced later as a selling point for the war.

In this I also read quotes from Lincoln that he had little interest in freeing the slaves and that his main objective was to repair the union of the states. I note African Americans were unable to volunteer to fight for the Union Army before July 1862. In 1862 white volunteers for the Union Army declined dramatically, so the idea of legalising black volunteers became more appealing. The "Bureau of Colored Troops" was established by congress in 1863. Often coloured troops still experienced racial discrimination in the Union Army as they discovered freedom did not equate to racial equality. Similar happened in the South - once they saw the danger of losing the war, "Confederate States Colored Troops" was created to add more regiments to their army.

Really, that's where I got to and realised the whole blowing up of this issue was a farce. The war, the Battle Flag ... neither had anything to do with race/slavery until AFTER the war had well and truly begun. If this controversy was about The Stainless Banner then I could understand .... but it's not, so I don't.

I love Dukes of Hazzard. The flag in the show is an obvious symbol of rebellion, and nothing to do with race. I see a lot more may be lost before this is unfortunate phase of PC hysteria is over. I was watching The Breakfast Club the other night ... the old Georgia State flag is hung in the (Illinois) school library and appears quite prominently in one scene. The movie is classic, a favourite of millions, and again the flag is likely featured as a subtle symbol of rebellion (the library was a set so the flag purposefully included) ... but will movies like this also find their way to ban bin? How very sad.
edit on 2/7/2015 by MsVen because: typo

edit on 2/7/2015 by MsVen because: typo

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: MsVen

Thank God a voice of reason. Star for that. Kind of sad someone from outside the U.S. can see through the B.S., but many of it's own citizens can't. The economic side of it is totally lost on these people. Lincoln is sure made out to be a hero, when in reality he could relate to the situation the South was in and even stated so in a speech. Lincoln's initial intentions never included freeing the slaves. This whole flag fiasco I think will become a watershed moment in US history. Normally I would think this would die down, but the way this is being pandered to this time it's different. It's like they're trying to set some kind of precedent, so it'll be easier to accomplish their goals the next time.

ETA: Was just watching ABC World News Now and they want the removal of all confederate flags and symbols nationwide. The very next story was about the Dukes of Hazzard being pulled. The black news anchor commented that the show was nostalgic to him. He loved this show as a kid and it was was part of his childhood. He also went out of his way to point out that how the flag was used in the show was totally different symbolism. Remember this is coming from a black guy. It glaringly obvious someone in this country is fueling an agenda. This is spiraling out of control, but I don't see anyone stepping in to stop it. That's the insane part.
edit on 2-7-2015 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Let's just cut to the end game.....one channel, one show for all of our PROGRAMMING needs.

1984 meets Fahrenheit 451

Where ignorance is bliss and variety is evil.

I want to get off this ride.

edit on 2-7-2015 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I am sure pulling the Dukes of Hazard will solve this racism issue once and for all..........Thank goodness. I am practicing my progressive white guilt logic so I can fit in..........

I think we should go after all white sheets next........They use them in the KKK. Down with white sheets it is the only way to stop this darn racism.
edit on 2-7-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
These rebellious themes simply have got to go.

I mean, come on, listen to the lyrics. It's obviously about a bunch of dangerous anti-government extremists (with a hot sister/cousin... whatever, it's Mississippi):

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Wow, just wow. It seems the uber PC movement has scaled to new heights, while many of the good folk of ATS are calling it for what it is: a bs move to appease those that might be offended by catching a glimpse of a symbol painted on a car.

I am watching one of my favorite movies while I add to this thread, Blazing Saddles. They will never do a remake(good thing--you can't improve on the original!), or any movies of this vein, as it would result in mass hysteria or riots. Sad times indeed.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: alphastrike101

originally posted by: Nucleardoom
a reply to: alphastrike101

Many people view that flag as the only group in the U.S. to ever have the balls to go to war against (in their view) an oppressive federal government. Not everyone views that flag in the same way.

They literally had slaves.. you do realize that right?
The south defined oppression.

It is just a simple fact that they got their ass kicked.
They all died for nothing.NOTHING.

Any way you look at it the confederation was shamed and utterly defeated.
The north rejected the process of the law and the US constitution in favor of primitive murder by cave-man barbarian Lincoln. And as you say, they died for NOTHING. Slavery would have ended with or without Lincoln going full dictator on the US South.

It was the emancipation proclamation, not the emancipation agreement, emancipation treaty, or emancipation vote. Wrong answer. Never again will that be allowed to happen. Any future civil war will be unwinnable by the DC dictators, just like Iraq was unwinnable by the evil empire.

Since dictatorship is not the answer, the confederate flag is good to fly. I really don't understand why anyone south of DC has ever flown a US flag after that kind of brutality and ruthlessness by war man Lincoln. It absolutely ended any pretend game the USA was some sort of agreement between the states, and settled that it is a forced contract imposed on the lower surfs. The Confederate flag is much, much less connected to slavery and serfdom than the USA flag is.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Just buy the box set. Channels have the right to remove content as they see fit and nobody is making the Dukes of Hazzard illegal to purchase or own...yet.
edit on 2-7-2015 by RoyBatty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

TV Land is owned by Viacom.

Viacom is a major player in TPTB/MSM propaganda complex.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

No it's more like solidarity from the 80's in Poland rather than a nazi invasion.

No doubt the Germans felt a sense of solidarity too. It was hard times for everyone - as you mention. The south was fighting a common enemy - and so was Germany. No matter how you look at it - war unites people. There are always a lot of inconvenient details that come with each story

Like the south - Germany had plenty of people with differing opinions - about right and wrong, about how much they were willing to support the war effort - but, like most wars - people with differing opinions usually get caught up in the momentum of war and are at the mercy of certain forces - and ideas. I think you miss my point

The south was fighting for a kind of freedom - to preserve an economic situation and maintain the practice of slavery. They lost. While I respect the south for wanting to hang on to those qualities that are truly honorable, there comes a time when you have to be willing to see things for what they were - and are

You say it's a stretch to compare genocide to slavery? So, slavery is the lesser evil? The south should be spared that comparison?

...so I have more repression in my bloodlines than some small villages do.

I could say the same thing. In fact - I am such a mix that I'll bet I have you beat. I am also part Polish. My grandfather lost his entire family with the exception of one sister and one uncle in the pogroms of Ukraine. All the other people in my story ended up in this country because of war, and persecution and desperation. Many, many Americans have similar stories to tell. Your story isn't a special example

The truth is - while we can (and must) acknowledge and remember the hardships of our ancestors - the threads of those times and those people don't lead all the way into the present in a tangible way exactly the same way as they do for the family of slaves. This is still a very real issue in this country. If it weren't - we wouldn't be seeing the kinds of stories, or having these kinds of discussions in this country right now - in the present

So, tell me if we'd have lost the Revolutionary war and since the victors write the history then we'd be somehow wrong then too? Something to think about.

If we had lost that war we wouldn't be having this same conversation. The south fully supported the enslavement of human beings. The revolution - was fought for a different reason. While no war is fought for only one thing - pretending that the Civil War was about freedom is not honest. It was about freedom for some people who were making a lot of money from slaves

Slaves. You just can't pretty that up. Concentration camps and murder. Slavery and murder

All that being said, I think we need to remember the past, but quit living in it. My Irish ancestors were sold by the British as slaves, should I be offended by a Union Jack? My wife is German, should I not have married her because some of her relatives we're probably nazi's? Get my drift? Where's all the Irishmen bitching about being "repressed"?

I get your drift

Germany has owned up to it's history. It lives in the present with a kind of honor bound duty to remember the past - and not wear any part of that as a symbol of honor

The Irish aren't still suffering from repression - at least not in this country. Are they? Do you want to say that the same can be said for other people in this country?

In that case - we're going to have to disagree

I know people think this fight over a flag is silly. That certain people in this country are milking it for all it's worth. I think it's interesting that certain other people are unwilling to concede something that should have been conceded a very long time ago

I say certain other people - it's definitively not everyone

As far as the TV show goes - I don't give a crap about them pulling it. In addition to this decision, what about all the other corporate entities that are bailing on that flag right now? Nobody forced them - they are nothing if not pragmatic. They can see the writing on the wall. Something has shifted - this is about much more than political correctness. Many people see that and embrace it. This is a big deal. I wish more people could see it for what it really is

edit on 7/2/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
You know, in a thread just a few days ago, I told somebody jokingly that since the Confederate flag (and Southern culture along with it.) has now been demonized to such an extent that they ought to be taking Dukes of Hazzard off the air soon because its racist.

I see the stupidity has most definitely reached critical mass and coming full circle on this one.

I guess Lynyrd Skynyrd and anything written by Mark Twain are next.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: cancerwarrior

Well, actually Huckleberry Finn *has* been consistently challenged since its publication, and there have been repeated attempts to get it removed from school curriculum and from library shelves. In some cases it HAS been temporarily banned and removed from library shelves.

While I doubt the government will ever outright ban it, it's likely that companies might soon self-censor themselves in regards to selling it, and libraries and schools might refuse to shelve it or teach it.

Or, they make a PC version....

:/
edit on 2-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
I reckon that they weren`t making much and had a low viewership of the show so they figured this would be a good time to dump unprofitable reruns of a 40 year old show and make themselves look good in the process.
If the show was making big profits they wouldn`t dump it even if jesus Christ himself was protesting the confederate flag.
it`s all about the money, always is.

Nope, it was one of the most popular shows on tv land with over 30 million viewers. They just bowed to pressure.

There is a petition going around with thousands of signatures already to get the show back on air.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
a reply to: Another_Nut

Maybe they can just CGI a new flag on the roof?

I guess with the new flag they will put Caitlyn Jenner laying across the top of the General Lee instead of Daisy. Might as well take crazy all the way to the extreme.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom

Apparently you need to dust off your American history book. There have been many armed rebellions in the US.

Armed rebellions yes, but here is what I previously posted: "believing in your cause enough to secede and eventually go to war."

You'd have to agree seceding doesn't happen much, right?

I mean if shame and defeat are the ultimate end of "staring adversity in the face" and the legacy of slaverly and subsequent ass kicking are things to be put up the pole than by all means display your misguided "pride".

Settle down man, I'm not advocating slavery, the confederacy, or flag displays at the capitol. What I am saying is people see that flag in many different ways. As much as it seems you'd like it to exclusively represent slavery to everyone - I hate to break it to you - but many people don't view it that way. I've seen black people who aren't even offended by that flag that have stated it means more to them than slavery. People are different, not everyone equates that battle flag exclusively with slavery, shame and defeat like you do.

Also as a side note the South did it's share of "ass kicking" as well, so well in fact, that more union solders died in battle than confederate for whatever it's worth.
See for yourself Civil War Casualties

I have pointed out many times that it represents shame and utter defeat. The confederates were losers through and through any way you look at.

Their shame and defeat was a simply subsequent reaction to their desire to enslave people.

Their cause was totally futile. The western campaign was an almost unbroken string of defeat. They won battles in other places but suffered massive strategic losses in the process.

The union march to the sea(basically in opposed) should be demonstrative of the ass kicking. And the half century of rebuilding points out the level of ass kicking revived.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: wayforward

primitive murder by cave-man barbarian

Boy if you think the desire to have slaves is anything less than barbaric than you are very misguided.
You do realize the south was doing that to slaves well before the north had to step in and kick their ass for it.

Sorry but if you think you can keep people as slaves you are going to get your ass kicked and that is exactly what happened to the south.

The Confederate flag is much, much less connected to slavery and serfdom than the USA flag is.

Only in your mind and that would explain your misguided prided in a bunch of losers who were shamed and defeated.

I suggest you go look up what side was fighting for slaves and what side was fighting to free them.

Spoiler alert: the south was the one fighting for an outdated and erroneous ideology.
edit on 2-7-2015 by alphastrike101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Please give it a rest already. I think we all agree that slavery was wrong and shouldn't have existed, but enough with the holier than thou attitude.

I hate to tarnish the reputation you've built up in your mind for the Union, but they weren't exactly the knights in shining armor your portraying them to be.

In case you were unaware the north had slaves as well, just not nearly as many. The North passed "exclusion laws" to keep free blacks out of their states. How about all the other Jim Crow laws that were passed? Where was the almighty Union's "asskicking" then? Did they suddenly quit caring about the black man's plight when it came to their own back yards?
They were willing to amend the Constitution to preserve slavery permanently in order to persuade the South to remain in the Union.

On September 18, 1858 at Charleston, Illinois, Lincoln told the assembled audience:

"I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality ... I will add to this that I have never seen, to my knowledge, a man, woman, or child who was in favor of producing a perfect equality, social and political, between negroes and white men."

Not a racist bone in Lincoln's body right? But you just go on and keep reveling in your glory about how the South was "shamed and defeated" while conveniently ignoring documented facts that conflict with your Civil War fairytale.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I predicted this last week. This country has gone completely mad and irrational. I wonder when they will come for my classic General Lee toy car and Bo & Luke Duke action figures that I still have ever since I was a kid? ~$heopleNation

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join