It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK Supreme Court: Ten Commandments Monument Must Be Removed From Capitol

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

A good deal of Masonic ect iconography on old school buildings. And the Obelisk is certainly something born out of Egyptian/Masonic philosophy.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Completely absurd, if we dont even look at the ten commandments as a religous thing, then for god sake its at least good for people to read and live by as a society. Something gone crazy with our country, folks, This is gettting out of hand, and Im not talking about religion, just the fact that the very fabric of our nation is torn, and its only getting bigger

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Kromlech

Obviously further proof of the prosecution of the christians in this once great christian nation!

/sarc off.

For those that are against this ruling, would you be okay with any other religions monument on state capital grounds?

Just to keep things current, what would the outrage be if it was a muslim monument?

I was under the impression that the 10 Commandments are from the Old Testament which is a cornerstone of Islam, Judaism and Christianity - therefore it's as much a Muslim/Jewish monument as it is a Christian one.

You are absolutely correct, the 10 Commandments are central to the Jewish faith and to the Muslim faith as well.

It is interesting how many find the statue to be offensive. But since it is on public ground, ok remove it, but hopefully remove and not destroy, remove it to a church, temple or mosque where it belongs.

But at the same time remove all statues of the late Robert Byrd (Democrat, both Senate Majority and Minority leader, retired from Senate in 2009 ), who was a member of the KKK that are on public ground, as a statue glorifying a KKK member is offensive, or should be offensive to everyone.

link   
a reply to: Logarock

The Masons aren't a religion though. They are a private club. They fall under different rules. Or at least that's how the founding fathers saw it.

link   

Show me a Square and Compasses on a public school and the context.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I could get behind that movement.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

So explain to me how, as an agnostic, I should care about the first four commandments oh surveyor of America's demise.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

There are some that want PC to go right into the church sanctuary. Get certain off the radio that talk about certain issues from a christian perspective.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

To be honest, the pledge should be removed altogether. Forcing children to recite a pledge to their country every day in school is political brainwashing.
I'm fine with the pledge, so long as the pledge is to the nation itself, and not any one person or political ideology within that nation.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
I'm fine with the pledge, so long as the pledge is to the nation itself, and not any one person or political ideology within that nation.

So adding my name is out of the question?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Basically 1-4 are too Christian based for non-Christians:

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy

I'm down with the no killing, no stealing, & no lying ones. Those "don't covet" ones are confusing. And honoring your parents is optional...depending on your parents.

Also, as an atheist, I find any commands coming from (what I believe to be) an imaginary being to be quite ridiculous. But to each his/her own.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

It doesn't matter if it is written down or not, the fact is America was founded upon Christianity, many of it's laws have their origins there.

www.faithfacts.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Show me a Square and Compasses on a public school and the context.

I will take some photos and make a thread. But I am not talking about the Square and Compass but the other Babylonian iconography ect. Winged sun disks ect.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The original thought was to protect from oppression like in England regarding religion. To try to say the founding fathers did not found this country with the thought of protection of ones own religious beliefs is simply an atheists agenda or ignorance. If you can 'not' believe in god then you should be able to believe in god...in public and speak freely of it. Erasing religion from our country is just one more way to make everyone the same...all just bricks in the wall John....removing the Ten Commandments, something, even if they are not bound by religion people should try to live by, will solve nothing....

They (founding fathers) wanted a separation of church and state since many times religion was the qualifier for those in power. It is not needed. Also, this is not part of the constitution or BIll of Rights. Jefferson coined the phrase of separation of church and state.
The only thing the original constitution referenced for religion was what I stated above, "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States". The word religion is not mentioned nor defined in the constitution. The constitution was written to protect state rights from big government which has been eroded since the late 1880's. This is America. Our country was founded on the fact you can do what you want, when you want and however you want as long as no laws are broken in your pursuit of happiness. Along the way, we simply became an overtaxed, separated society who now, at least 100 million, dependent on the government we tried to protect ourselves from the start.

Religion is the last thing to corrupt and remove to control a society. First, remove jobs...then remove guns...then remove religion...fully dependent little drones we become. Indoctrinate the kids with government controlled schools and the next generation is created with nothing to believe in but what comes from TPTB.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Then it should be easy to cite the mentions of Jesus in regards various laws.

link   

Then they are not Masonic.

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I could get behind that movement.

Tell me, where do we stop? Should we take down the Washington monument because he owned slaves?

Perhaps the real problem is that us humans are too attached to the symbols around us. They really serve no purpose, so why do we even erect these symbols in the first place?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seamrog
Before the Supreme Court rules on any display of the Ten Commandments, they'd have to chisel them off their own building first.

Hysterical liberals are entertaining.

You are correct.

Guess we need to send a team of jackhammers to destroy the facade of the Supreme Court, that is the only fair and honest thing to do in this situation. Or the facade of the Supreme Court could be removed entirely and placed inside a church, temple or mosque.

Good observation, must be done ASAP to preserve the integrity and consistency of the courts.

Also any statues of greek or roman gods
must be immediately removed from all public spaces
owned by the government.
The statues of Gods are symbols of a religion
and we must separate the state from all religion
and in order to do that any and all symbols of any and all religions
must be removed immediately!
Iustitia, Justitia or Lady Justice (Latin: Iustitia,[1] the Roman goddess of Justice, who is equivalent to the Greek goddesses Themis) is an allegorical personification of the moral force in judicial systems.[2][3] The scales of justice represent truth and lie. (wikipedia) So lady justice is a symbol of a religion, actually 2 religions, Greek and Roman and as such should be removed since all religion and religious symbols have no place in the US public arena anymore.
If you say that Lady Justice is not a religious symbol
then you are being inconsistent. The statue
represents a religious idea(ideal) going back
much farther than the 10 commandments
and one that was revered and worshiped by
millions in the past.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: RedParrotHead

Basically 1-4 are too Christian based for non-Christians:

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy

I'm down with the no killing, no stealing, & no lying ones. Those "don't covet" ones are confusing. And honoring your parents is optional...depending on your parents.

Also, as an atheist, I find any commands coming from (what I believe to be) an imaginary being to be quite ridiculous. But to each his/her own.

Yea the first four commandments have the clear marker of Yahweh on them.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Addressed earlier; the Suprme Court incorporates symbols from all major religions and societies, not just Christianity.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join