It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is game of thrones really as awesome as people say?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
a reply to: Mugly

Solid 8 or 9. The show is extremely faithful to the books (I can only speak for books 1 and 2 so far), and those are very well written. Either way, very much worth the watch.

If you say that the show is extremely faithful to the books then you know that isn't true as major story lines from this season were made up, major story lines were left out and various other things like that.. I find that if you are very familiar with the books then you might enjoy the show less than if you have never read them.

That being said I put it a solid second behind Deadwood depending on how DD take the story since they are farther along then what Martin has published.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
i watched 2 episodes but switched back for a couple end of season boardwalk empire.

the first 2 episodes were pretty good.

introduced to some major asshole characters.
things are already in play.

the fat kings son is a bitch. crying after he was punking big gingh with the sword...the bakers boy.

that whole family is awful.

i definitely see it picking up some gas.

can someone spoil a few things about the show for me.

do you get to see dragons and monsters and such?
lots of violence?
do more wicked characters get announced?

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Yes to all and you might also come to pity some of the family you hate. Frankly, what is so good about the show is that there are some redeeming qualities to almost all the characters and also something flawed about each character. That is what makes it so realistic and fun.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
do you get to see dragons and monsters and such?
lots of violence?
do more wicked characters get announced?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Like Metallicus said, you'll get mixed feelings about most of the characters as time goes on. It's very realistic in that sense as in real life, there are rarely individual who are wholly good or wholly evil. Individuals with power, anyway.

The wife and I are finishing fourth season tonight and we're going to be bummed about having to wait for season five. It's an amazing series.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I could only stand the first two books - gave up entirely before finishing the third. There was no overarching theme - didn't even seem to be any 'substance' to the decent 'plot'. I thought the writing shallow though the characters were decently drawn.

The TV series was beautifully produced, the dialog good, but still the lack of substance that I expect in good writing in any genre.

No - I think it's violent drivel.
edit on 30-6-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Game of Thrones is a fantastic show, seriously. The writing is very good and unless you've been unfortunate enough to have parts of the show already spoiled; it will keep surprising you a lot of times.
The character development is superb, which is why people have gotten so attaches to the show, in my opinion. You'll come to love some characters, and you'll come to hate the guts out of others. The political games and personal dramas that takes place within the story deepens it over and over again, and the lore is quite interesting!

Personally, Game of Thrones is my favorite show, definitely being able to hold its own against other great shows like Breaking Bad and the first season of Marco Polo (also highly recommended).

But then of course, whether you'll like it or not depends on what kind of shows and stories you prefer. It's not for nothing that the show has been so praised however. I hope you'll enjoy it!
edit on 1-7-2015 by ABeing because: spelling error

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
on episode 3 and im liking it.

so far i like daenerys targaryn and i have high hopes for arya stark.
she is still a kid but i think she is gonna be awesome

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

do you get to see dragons and monsters and such? lots of violence? do more wicked characters get announced?

Yes to all 3.

A warning though, major characters do die in this, so don't become too attached to anyone.
Some, you'll celebrate their death...others, you'll mourn for.

You'll see ice zombies, giants, mammoths, dragons, etc. as the show goes on.
You'll see unbelievable violence (some that you even think may be too far)...
Definitely a few more wicked characters, some who get their just rewards, others who haven't yet (or may not).

As for the books, yes, they are wonderful, but the show certainly stands on its own.
The first season is EXACT to the book. They veer off it a little as the show goes on though...(they have to...simply too many things going on).
edit on 1-7-2015 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I found the second season to be brutally boring. Here's the real kicker for me: Too many damn characters. I can't even keep track of who is who for the most part. It's been better the last two seasons, but without spoiling anything, I am happiest when large groups of characters are taken out, because I don't have to try to remember who the hell they were anymore.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The show is good, nice production and acting skills, as well as good decent story(similar stories likes battles of the house in history).

But i have to admit, there is this exaggerated hype.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I love Game of Thrones, but it can be hard to keep up at times, with so many stories going on at once.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
it's definitely worth watching. my current favorite show. i actually like all the characters, even if it feels like there might be too many at times, to me it just adds to the immersion of the world. most of the time it's well written and shot and it's fun to compare to the books.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
on episode 3 and im liking it.

so far i like daenerys targaryn and i have high hopes for arya stark.
she is still a kid but i think she is gonna be awesome

Well actually what happens in season 4 is that........kidding!

It's simple. If you like the genre then this is exceptionally well done and well acted (rating 9) . If you don't like the genre then don't slag it, don't watch it, and never rate it. Nobody should ever rate anything where the genre is not their taste that's stupid. It's like asking a baseball fan to rate Rugby Union!

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I've never seen the show... or read the books...

*Ducks*

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
I've never seen the show... or read the books...

*Ducks*

I couldn't get through a few chapters of the books, it was like the author was writing words just to write them...on and on in endless never ending sentences.

The show on the other hand, is great. While there are a lot of characters to follow and it can be a bit much to track, once I started following the houses and not individuals it made more sense.

Trust the posters above, it is well worth the watch.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The books do tend to go into WAY too much detail and tedium sometimes. Tolkein's work did too, but for those who really like it, I can see why they like GRRM too. For me, I have to speed read through some of each book.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join