It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global support for ISIS includes up to 42M Muslims, group claims

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Global support for ISIS may be much bigger than previously known, according to a new report that found as many as 42 million Muslims around the world have positive feelings about the black-clad army of barbarians that established a so-called caliphate in Syria and Iraq last year.

The report from the New York-based research institute Clarion Project crunched numbers from four recent polls surveying Arab public opinion toward ISIS. Clarion found the terror group's supporters are 8.5 million strong, but more than 42 million of the world's estimated 1.5 billion Muslims feel at least somewhat positively about the terror group.

Global support for ISIS includes up to 42M Muslims, group claims

Well....that is a lot more than I had previously thought. 42 Million Muslims have some support or sympathy for ISIS? That is a LOT of people that can be swayed into following. With the news releases of their taking more and more land and resources, as well as their having their own currency in circulation now, I would say this is a bit of a larger problem than anyone seems to be making it out to be.

The study was based on figures from a March 2015 poll by the Iraq-based Independent Institute for Administration and Civil Society Studies, a November 2014 poll by Zogby Research Services, a November 2014 poll by the Doha-based Arab Center for Research and Policy Studies and an October 2014 poll by the Fikra Forum commissioned by the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.

When surveyed, the subjects answered whether or not they viewed ISIS positively, or somewhat positively -- some even admitting their support for the Syrian civil war to end in a victory for the Islamic terror group.

Now granted there is also this:

“The Clarion Project is a notorious purveyor of anti-Muslim bigotry and misinformation,” a CAIR spokesperson told FoxNews.com. “While we take the issue of support for ISIS seriously, and have issued numerous condemnations of ISIS and its twisted un-Islamic ideology, any claims made by the Clarion Project are rendered suspect given the group’s long history of anti-Muslim propaganda.”

Mauro acknowledged the number of ISIS sympathizers his group's study identified is a small fraction of the world's Muslim population, but said the terrorist group nonetheless has a pool of support the world must take seriously.

I know nothing of the Clarion Project or their practices, but am going to research them a bit now to see how biased they may or may not be.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

42,000,000 / 1,500,000,000 = 2.8%

Just saying.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Here is the link to the report from the Clarion Project for reference:

Source

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

42,000,000 / 1,500,000,000 = 2.8%

Just saying.

Oh...yeah I understand that out of the entire population of Muslims in the world it is a small percentage, but still.....42 Million is a lot of support.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It's way more than that because We have Muslims that pratice in secret, those type are the elite and wealthy. But when the war climaxes into reality, they'll come out with thier armies...

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

That's the point. You recognized that this group doing the calculations is an anti-Muslim group. That's why they presented their figures as 42 million Muslims support ISIS instead of 2.8% of Muslims support ISIS. It's all about presentation. Clearly the 42 million number is more likely to exhibit a negative response from you towards Muslims.

Consider this, those 42 million Muslims are likely spread all over the place, further diluting their opinions and desires among the populaces they live among. And don't try to suggest that these guys would be radicalized, because the article clearly said that ISIS' TRUE support is only 8.5 million strong (0.57%).

This study is CLEARLY being presented as an anti-Muslim hit piece. I'm glad you partially recognized that, but you should definitely have just ran with it. Always be wary of the way data is presented to you. Flat numbers mean little when compared against the total population and percentages mean nothing when the total population is low. These are classic propaganda techniques.
edit on 30-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Maybe my maths is bad today, but isnt it even less than that?

42 million divided by 1,570 million is 0.026%

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

…according to a new report that found as many as 42 million Muslims around the world have positive feelings about the black-clad army…

How they determine that, by satellite?

Or exit polling Mosques,

"Are you ISIS? How 'bout you?"

Maybe they are wearing campaign buttons,

"I like ISIS".

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ISeekTruth101

Yes, your math is off. The answer is 0.028 then you have to multiply by 100 to make it a percentage. You forgot to multiply by 100.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

That's the point. You recognized that this group doing the calculations is an anti-Muslim group. That's why they presented their figures as 42 million Muslims support ISIS instead of 2.8% of Muslims support ISIS. It's all about presentation. Clearly the 42 million number is more likely to exhibit a negative response from you towards Muslims.

Consider this, those 42 million Muslims are likely spread all over the place, further diluting their opinions and desires among the populaces they live among. And don't try to suggest that these guys would be radicalized, because the article clearly said that ISIS' TRUE support is only 8.5 million strong (0.57%).

Yeah....I agree they did it for the shock value, but 42 million that "could" be supporters is a lot of people, even if spread out. I can't think of a cult that built a following as quick as that, or at least had a favorable opinion of them that fast. It has been 1 year of them in the news, obviously a lot longer in the build process, but 42 million with partial support is a lot of people even if it is just 2.8% of the population.

You can't really downplay 42 million supporters even if it is a small percentage.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

…according to a new report that found as many as 42 million Muslims around the world have positive feelings about the black-clad army…

Or exit polling Mosques,

"I like ISIS".

Or you could read the article and the link in my next post to find out how they poll'd them.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Ahhh yes, I concede

Thanks,
edit on 30-6-2015 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
With all this being said , what percentage of those 42 million would be deemed radical and dangerous vs how many agree with basic Muslim views ?

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: intrptr

Or exit polling Mosques,

"I like ISIS".

Or you could read the article and the link in my next post to find out how they poll'd them.

I did. Just musing about that kind of poll and the subject. Big difference too, between "global support" and "feeling positive" (whatever that means).

Who in their right mind feels positive about fighting back against Empires?

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So ISIS has 42 million supporters worldwide but only has a couple of thousand fighters.
To be honest, you gotta have some mental issues to agree with the stuff ISIS does.
Just this week, they put a punch of people inside a cage and lowered it slowly into water. They were screaming in pain and for help as they drowned to death. They then put a bunch of guys handcuffed into a car and blew it up with an RPG and then later strapped a bunch of other people with C4 explosives on their necks and blew their heads off.

Isis executes prisoners by drowning them in a cage and blowing them up with grenade launchers

metro.co.uk...

Frankly, ISIS will accuse anybody of anything. They recently accused a Syrian man who was married with kids for having anal sex and threw him off a building because he was a homosexual. What was their evidence? He wore skinny jeans. They are bloodthirsty killers who will find any excuse to kill.
A normal human being would not support such actions. It's disgusting.

As to what Krazysh0t said, yes there are ISIS supports but definitely not 42 million of them. If ISIS had 42 million supports, they'd have at least a million fighters and not a couple of thousand.
edit on 30-6-2015 by Boeing777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Well once we have established the propaganda tendencies of the presentation, it is easier to start questioning the rest of their claims. How did they get to this number in the first place? How did they do their sampling? Why is this 42 million number stressed over the REAL number of 8.5 million? Like did you notice that the 8.5 million number is almost mentioned as an afterthought?

Clarion found the terror group's supporters are 8.5 million strong, but more than 42 million of the world's estimated 1.5 billion Muslims feel at least somewhat positively about the terror group.

If 33.5 million Muslims feel positively about ISIS but don't support them, what does that even MEAN exactly? How can you like ISIS but not support them? Seems ambiguous to me or an attempt to demonize some people who may sympathize with one or two things that ISIS stands for but not their entire ideology.

See Vasa, I could have just dismissed this entire account as propaganda, but I'm trying to help you see the propaganda techniques being employed. When you learn to start looking for these things, they become overly obvious.

I mean I KNOW that 8.5 million or 42 million (which ever you want to use, but I think the 42 million number is dishonest), is a large number, but when you compare it to other things it becomes increasingly small. 8.5 million people is roughly the population of New York City by the way. Then you consider that spread out around the world. It's really not as influential as this report is trying to make it out to be.

Like I said originally, this is all an attempt to paint Muslims in a negative light.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
How long until the civilized nations put an end to the religious Third Reich before it spreads any further...?

Japan earned itself a pair of nuked cities in World War II, and they weren't trying to take over the world and slaughter anyone who believes in a different tooth fairy.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Terrorists sure love Islam...

Wonder why that is.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Fer1527

Um... Yes they were. Well at least all of Asia and the Pacific Ocean.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ISeekTruth101

Maybe my maths is bad today, but isnt it even less than that?

42 million divided by 1,570 million is 0.026%

*100 to bring it to "per cent" = 2.6%

(sorry didn't see krasysh0t post above me)
edit on 30-6-2015 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join