It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds shut down background check database over flaw

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

The federal personnel agency whose records were plundered by hackers linked to China announced on Monday the temporary shutdown of a massive database used to update and store background investigation records after newly discovering a flaw that left the system vulnerable to additional breaches.

There is no evidence the vulnerability has been exploited by hackers, agency spokesman Samuel Schumach said in a statement, adding that the Office of Personnel Management took the step protectively. He said the system could be shut down for four to six weeks.

Hackers suspected of working for the Chinese government are believed to have stolen records for as many as 18 million current and former federal employees and contractors last year.

Feds shut down background check database over flaw

So....saw this story pop up and thought "How convenient". They can't do background checks for 6 weeks. Seems like the perfect set up for a false flag operation. So a contractor that they issue a quick, temporary security clearance to happens to have terrorist ties that they were unable to fully vet and voila....false flag easily made to seem like something slipped through during the 6 week time frame they could not do background checks.

Interestingly enough that 6 weeks covers the start of Jade Helm....again...convenient.

Anywho.....just thought I would throw it out there for a possible conspiracy.....6 week countdown (or someone that got a clearance within that time) to a major event on a US based operation or soil is my prediction....and by major, I mean along the lines of 9-11.....just to clear up that I will not be claiming a tiny terrorist attack somewhere.

The shutdown announced Monday is expected to hamper agencies' ability to initiate investigations for new employees and contractors, as well as renewal investigations for security clearances, Schumach said.

But, he added, the federal government will still be able to hire, and in some cases grant clearances on an interim basis.

Can't wait to see how this is going to play out....it is a VERY easy out for a false flag attack somewhere....accidentally letting a contractor slip through a check since the database was down for repair...
edit on 6/29/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

So does this mean private companies can't request background checks either?

This sounds like a big cluster****.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

So does this mean private companies can't request background checks either?

This sounds like a big cluster****.

It appears you can request, but they will only issue a temp clearance. I have a secret clearance and have to check this week to see if it is affected by this, but chances are they are not going to issue many in the next 6 weeks which will be a HUGE paperwork issue for them following this lock down.

I also wonder how this is going to affect background checks for weapons licenses. This could be the start of locking it down in order to keep people from getting a gun in the next 6 weeks.....if all background checks are halted for that amount of time that is a really big issue.

While I love conspiracies, I am also pretty logical. I like letting my mind wander on stuff like this though....seems plausible and a very nice, wrapped package with the bow tied, type of scenario for something bad to happen.

Could be false flag, could be gun grab...who knows...could be nothing.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

My mind also jumped immediately to the NICS system for FFLs upon seeing the headline as well. Because holy hell would that be the ultimate way to temporarily side step the 2nd. Will speak to my favorite FFL tomorrow and see if this has had any effect.

Time to get on really good terms with your LGS owners, folks.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I was also thinking the same about issuing weapons. Either they effectively stop all gun sales, or...

Hard to see what they're gonna do about that one.

But do the Fed's even care about public image anymore?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic

My mind also jumped immediately to the NICS system for FFLs upon seeing the headline as well. Because holy hell would that be the ultimate way to temporarily side step the 2nd. Will speak to my favorite FFL tomorrow and see if this has had any effect.

Yep...very convenient way to shut the 2nd amendment down...."sorry folks...can't do background checks because the system is down"

Again, leaving room for some serious government intervention or a false flag letting a temp contractor through without fully vetting them.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
And just lke 9/11, the feds had prior warning.

Union sues feds over hack, says agency had ample warning

WASHINGTON (AP) — The largest federal employee union filed a class action lawsuit Monday against the federal personnel office, its leaders and one of its contractors, arguing that negligence contributed to what government officials are calling one of the most damaging cyberthefts in U.S. history.

The inspector general for OPM (Office of Personnel Management), had been warning the agency for years of it's poor security measures.

The lawsuit filed by the American Federation of Government Employes claims the agency failed to improve it's security.

An earlier hack of Keypoint systems allowed hackers to obtain personnel credentials that led up to the latest cyber-theft.

"Since 2007, officials at OPM have been alerted to their lackluster data security policies and protocols and failed to take appropriate steps to safeguard the information," AFGE National President J. David Cox Sr. and other union officials said in a joint statement. "Although they were forewarned about the potential catastrophe that government employees faced, OPM's data security got worse rather than better."

It seems the hackers took notice of their lax security and capitalized on it. Whether it was intentional to prepare for some future false flag remains to be seen. Publishing this fact prior to the latest breech doesn't really help much.

The suit came on the same day that OPM said it has shut down a massive database used to update and store background investigation records after discovering a new flaw that left the system vulnerable to additional breaches.

The OPM has only offered a year and a half of credit monitoring, may make it hard for the folks effected. These aren't average citizens we're talking about. Here's the unsettling part...

But, he added, the federal government will still be able to hire, and in some cases grant clearances on an interim basis.

How in the world they can hire and grant security to an individual without a back-up database is beyond me. A lot of things can go wrong here and they've been really good at letting those things happen.

edit on 29-6-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Nice post. I love this type of speculation (it is why I came here in the first place). The cool thing about this is if they try it, they've already been outed and if the know that they might not try it….

win-win

Thank you Vasa Croe

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic

Yep...very convenient way to shut the 2nd amendment down...."sorry folks...can't do background checks because the system is down"

Hmm... Been thinking on this more. Technically, a "delay" order from NICS means next to nothing. Under the Brady Law, when an FFL is issued a "Delay" on a transfer, if no response is recieved within 3-5 (it varies by interpretation of the FFL holder, some have had me wait 3 and others 5) business days, the transfer can lawfully proceed.
The only prohibiter is an actual "Deny" order from NICS.

O, the joys of having a common name!

Either way, something stinks about this. The only question is, genuine, or scripted incompetence?
edit on 6292015 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

This is the same government who runs our healthcare, protects us from terrorism, and knows what is best for us, right?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The timing is conveniently perfect.

All part of the scripted drill routine I bet.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Don't worry folks they were just deleting a name out of the FBI's database. That's all that I can say.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The timing is conveniently perfect.

All part of the scripted drill routine I bet.

Precisely. Scripted and running exactly as planned.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: IIIPercentPatriot
Don't worry folks they were just deleting a name out of the FBI's database. That's all that I can say.

or adding some for future scapegoat psy-ops operations.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

It sounds like its a way to get who ever into where ever they want them.

I wonder if this includes Whitehouse clearance .

This sounds so obviously bogus.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Oh crap. I received a letter from OPM yesterday saying my personal info could have been breached. I seriously thought it was some kind of scam or ad.
edit on 30-6-2015 by HAZE3 because: Opm sent the letter not homeland security

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

But seriously not even joking. I havent worked for the government for several years now.
Ill have to reread that letter when I come back from work.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
My understanding is that this has also affected military personnel.
A relative of mine who is career AF was serving at Whiteman during the security clearance snafu of the Clinton administration. A whole batch of clearances didn't show up and the B-2 sat in the hangar for several days as a result because clearance was needed to enter the cockpit.
I don't know if the B-2 cockpit still requires clearance but I'm sure that a lot of the newer tech innovations do.
Excellent find and post!

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Shutting The Barn Door

I'm pretty sure the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) operates independently of the United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM), so this shouldn't affect firearms purchases.

I think it is also a good idea to bear in mind that just because they say there is no evidence the vulnerability they found has been exploited, doesn't mean it hasn't been exploited. After all, other vulnerabilities were apparently exploited for months before the OPM realized it, which is why this is such a major scandal.

The damage already caused, and that will inevitably continue long into the future, by allowing the most intimate personal details of up 18 million federal employees and contractors to fall into unfriendly hands is incalculable, but definitely catastrophic.

The genie is already out of the bottle.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
None of this happens by accident...or they wouldn't tell the people. This administration hides the truth when it doesn't look good for them and therefore, if they are letting us know, there is a different agenda. How much do you want to bet that this is the criminal Obama's beginning of gun control? And I kinda hope it is because THAT will start the revolt that needs to happen to save this country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join