It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bree Newsome Speaks On Cutting Down Flag at SC Capitol

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

Yes I did. I reiterate: bounty on the flag? lol

Newsome declined the cash reward, asking that all proceeds go to funds supporting victims of the Charleston church massacre Read more: bluenationreview.com...

edi t on 7/3/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Another_Nut

Yes I did. I reiterate: bounty on the flag? lol

Newsome declined the cash reward, asking that all proceeds go to funds supporting victims of the Charleston church massacre Read more: bluenationreview.com...

Ahh I understand now. Your reading comprehension is not so good

Can't help you there.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Adding to the list

:-)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Kali74

Nice! Finally some peaceful civil disobedience for once! Why has it always been that the civil disobedience in the news we usually see is violent these days? The hippies got so much more done by having peaceful protests. African Americans got so much more done by having peaceful protests. See! This is how you enact change by breaking the law.

Enact change? I was under the impression the flag issue had been voted on by the process we the people have in place and it was slated to come down. Is that not the case here?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Not at first - and it almost got put on hold. This thread was started a while ago

South Carolina House votes to remove Confederate flag from statehouse grounds

The Confederate flag flying on South Carolina’s statehouse grounds is set to come down after the House voted 94 to 20 to remove it. The bill, passed early Thursday, now heads to Republican Gov. Nikki Haley’s desk, and she is expected to sign it.

Happened this morning - in South Carolina

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

My point was, this "democratic process" that "we the people" made, was put there to deal with this type of situation. When it is OK to disregard that process? Who get's to make that call?

The system seems to have worked, and showed the will of the people, so I guess I just don't see why anyone is applauding a criminal. Sure it was a brave stunt. But in the end, all without her actions, the goal was accomplished and the flag will be PERMANENTLY removed from the flagpole, not just for 15 minutes while the cameras were rolling.

Again, who get's to decide which laws we can disregard due to Political Correctness?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

No one. She still went to jail for her actions. You didn't see me complaining that she was punished for her actions. Civil disobedience comes with consequences. When you do it, you are supposed to be prepared for them. She went to jail for her actions, I just don't have a problem with what she did, but if I was the arresting officer on the scene, I still would have arrested her.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Good then. We don't have to agree that what she did was a bad idea, but it was illegal.

And the fact that they system of governance that we put in place was used by the people to show what the majority wanted was a good thing. If she had more patience and believed in the system, she might have avoided all the un-needed trouble.

But at least she got the fame she wanted.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I can understand why she wouldn't believe in the system. Every other time this discussion happened, voting never even HAPPENED. It took SEVERE nationwide backlash to pressure SC to finally have a vote on this. Keep in mind, the last time the location of that flag changed was in 2000 when they passed a resolution to move the flag from off of the dome of the building itself to where it was at up until today. And THAT was a big to-do in Charleston at the time (I remember this because I have friends of the family who live there and was visiting Charleston around the time it happened).

So it's not like this woman's lack of faith in her local city's government isn't misplaced or anything. She has plenty of precedent to work with to help her form the opinion that this would end up blowing over with nothing being done. To be honest, up until I read the follow up to the post you made to me this morning, I was convinced nothing would happen to the flag either.
edit on 9-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

LOL, when the PC train starts rolling, there is little you can do to stop it. (I mean other than having the MSM change the subject and not report on the previous subject anymore.)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Looks like it resulted in a victory this time to me, but as I just pointed out to you the PC train has been rolling on this issue off and on for quite some time now. So clearly, it has been stopped before.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

The system did work - but it took a lot of anger to get it to the point where people were willing to look at this situation again - and then vote on it

Anger, passion - protesting...

Even then it was looking like the whole decision would get pushed off into the future - again

Again, who get's to decide which laws we can disregard due to Political Correctness?

Disregarding the law to make a statement has nothing to do with political correctness. Maybe you see it that way because the person who did it was saying something in a way you don't agree with

You know what? You just made me see something I didn't see before

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Looks like it resulted in a victory this time to me, but as I just pointed out to you the PC train has been rolling on this issue off and on for quite some time now. So clearly, it has been stopped before.

Yes, but this time it had a national tragedy and the attention of all the hearts and minds of the public as fuel. Even the POTUS was on the train. As I said before, I just hope those who wish to enact change on the unlawful side don't do the math on this. I would hate for mass killings to be the new "train fuel".

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

June 17th 2015. That was the date of the Shooting in Charleston that sparked this fire back up.
Today is July 9th, 2015. It took the system exactly 22 days to get to where it is now.

Was that not fast enough?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

This has been going on for decades - not 22 days

The Complicated Political History Of The Confederate Flag

The flag was first flown over the state Capitol dome (passed by the Democratic Legislature) in 1962 to mark the centennial of the start of the Civil War, but many saw it as a reaction to the civil-rights movement and school desegregation. For nearly four decades, it continued to be a controversial issue in the Palmetto State. A 1994 nonbinding referendum placed on the GOP primary ballot found that three-in-four voters said the flag should keep flying. That same year, black ministers and the NAACP threatened a boycott of the state if the flag didn't come down, and business leaders sued to remove the flag.

But in 2000, a compromise was reached — the battle flag would be removed from atop the dome and a smaller, square version would be placed at a less-prominent place on the Statehouse grounds — on a 20-foot pole next to the 30-foot Confederate monument. But that didn't end the controversy, and many years of protests, criticism and boycotts followed.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

This has been going on for decades - not 22 days

Did you miss this part of my post, or just ignore it?

June 17th 2015. That was the date of the Shooting in Charleston that sparked this fire back up

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It did spark that fire back up

The recent shootings sparked a wave of protesting - that initiated a new review of this situation. People protesting is what got this the attention it deserved

Sometimes protest is what it takes to get people talking - and thinking. Sometimes illegal actions are a part of all that

The Democratic Process (that you mentioned earlier) accomplished nothing. For decades

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join