It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bree Newsome Speaks On Cutting Down Flag at SC Capitol

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I guess you missed the part about cognitive dissonance. I'm not chickening out because it never happened. I believe cognitive dissonance is what is the problem here, for more than one person in this thread.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi burn the flag as protest... These contradictions you guys are looking for, don't exist.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Cognitive dissonance? :-)

So, when Kali (and many others, myself included - in other threads) called for the burning of the flag - what was she saying?

When she (and many others, myself included in - other threads) then went on to say that it should be remembered - in a museum, or on private property - what was she saying?

This is a very good subject - every possible angle on it. It's worth discussing. It's about an idea (or several)

THIS thread, is about how much one person admires the actions of another. The OP asked what people thought about her statement. The conversation...went elsewhere

There are people on these boards that are willing to argue. And to admit what they've said and done

Cognitive dissonance...Funny

:-)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi I would suggest reading the many posts I've made on the topic if you're going to attempt to call me out.

edit on 7/1/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

According to your posting of MLK's comments. What she did was not right,because the FLAG is not a LAW. the no tresspassing law in its current form does not oppress anyone.

And You do know I was joking about what could had legally been done to that woman by the guard. he could had tased her and made her fall and it would had been within the law after repeated warnings.

Im all for protesting but not when it involves defacing a monument and putting themselves and others at risk not so much.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

According to your posting of MLK's comments. What she did was not right,because the FLAG is not a LAW. the no tresspassing law in its current form does not oppress anyone.

What she did was not right? According to who? If it wasn't right - then it must be wrong

You want to split hairs I see :-)

What she did was illegal. She protested. We can argue about whether or not it's the same thing as drinking from the wrong fountain. In fact - I wish we would. People seem to think that enough time has passed that some people shouldn't be offended by some things anymore. In fact - some people now seem to think that we shouldn't even say we're offended - much less do anything about it

That flag tweren't hurtin' nobody...

And You do know I was joking about what could had legally been done to that woman by the guard.

Yes. It was very funny

edit on 7/1/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Hey i propose a comprimise for the people.Put up a rainbow flag a malcolm x flag and a nazi flag.all over the confederate flag on the bottom.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Think I'll compromise - and just let that go

laters yuppa

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

An attention seeker is all this person is

Where has she been the last decade? Or 5 years ? Or year? Or six months?

15 min of fame is all she wanted. I have no respect for anyone like this

If she truly believes what she says then she wouldn't have waited until the flag was in such a poor lite

She a joke
edit on am720153107America/ChicagoFri, 03 Jul 2015 07:36:09 -0500_7000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut

An attention seeker is all this person is

Where has she been the last decade? Or 5 years ? Or year? Or six months?

15 min of fame is all she wanted. I have no respect for anyone like this

If she truly believes what she says then she wouldn't have waited until the flag was in such a poor lite

She a joke

If you would have spent five minutes researching, instead of automatically assuming you know who or what she does or where she's been the last year's or even six months, you may have found an answer.

However, your assumptions are wrong.

Research...and you'll find the answers you think you know are false and misleading.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

So she's been removing this flag every how often ?

I know what im talking about.

She heard abiut the bounty on the flag and only then did it cross her mind

Deal with yiur hero being an attention seeker
edit on am720153110America/ChicagoFri, 03 Jul 2015 10:47:32 -0500_7000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I can't help but think SOMEONE is sitting in a room chuckling to themselves about all the drama that has been happening recently.

Kind of like this:

As for these particular threads, I personally feel like they are very pointless. They only make people argue.

I can't help but wonder if a vast majority of AMERICANS even know what the flag represents? I garuntee most see it as a symbol of pride. Not even associating it with slavery. In fact, just found this little article:

America Urgently Needs a History Lesson About the Confederate Flag

In a YouGov poll released this week, there’s actually a split over what the Confederate flag means and what we should do with it. Some 40 percent of Americans approve of a rebel-flag vanity plate—in fact, more people are fine with it than are not.
And while you would think that there’s higher approval for the Confederate flag in the South, there isn’t: Approval of the license plate is at 49 percent in the West, compared with 41 percent in the South.
The various breakdowns (pdf) on this are a bit surreal, if not surprising, given today’s racial climate. More whites view the flag as a symbol of “Southern pride” (47 percent) than of racism, with 40 percent of whites also approving of its display.
African Americans, understandably, do not feel the same: Fifty-five percent of blacks see it as racism, and only 13 percent approve of its display.
The largest group of all those polled, 41 percent, consider the flag a symbol of Southern pride, compared with 31 percent who view it as a symbol of racism. When the results are broken down by party, 63 percent of Republicans view it as Southern pride, compared with only 28 percent of Democrats who do.
A majority of independents see it as good-ole’-boy Deep South pride, too.
These findings align with the results of a 2011 Pew Research poll, which showed that 58 percent of Americans have neither a positive nor a negative reaction to the Confederate flag. Only 29 percent of whites had a negative reaction, compared with 41 percent of African Americans. That number is still low, given that so many black people’s ancestors were subjected to unspeakable horrors under that flag and what it symbolized.
Worse yet: Thirty-six percent of whites and 33 percent of blacks in that Pew poll felt it was “appropriate to praise Confederate leaders.”

It's funny how no one was freaking out about this flag before that shooting. I never once heard or came across anyone, black or white or yellow or brown or purple, who was offended by it.

Just goes to show how much of an effect the media can have on the masses.

Just sad and pointless to argue about stuff like this. I've said it before and I'll say it again: we, as a people, will NEVER be able to come together on any particular subject. And it's because of how everything is put out there for us to view.

edit on 3-7-2015 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-7-2015 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

A bounty on the flag? lol

So what do you think about what her statement?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

What's funny is that you seem to think you're the first person to point out that the flag means different things to different people... even on ATS alone.

What's funny is that you're ignorant of the long existing controversy over flying that flag at government buildings.

What's funny is that you think it's sad to argue over this issue yet here you are arguing your point of view on the flag, which is not the topic of the thread.
edit on 7/3/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Of course I'm here. Why wouldn't I be? No need to call me names, now. Come on. We're all adults here aren't we?

What's REALLY funny is that you got obviously butthurt over something that wasn't even intended to be insulting.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Where did I call you a name?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Ignorant is just the same as calling someone stupid.

Why would you assume that I'm "ignorant of the long existing controversy over flying that flag at government buildings"?

I was only saying no one was fussing over it the way they are now.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Did you even read your own op?

Earlier this week, social justice activist and progressive blogger Shaun King offered a “bounty” on the flag 

Read more: bluenationreview.com...

It wasn't until after that bounty was put out that she thought she would do it

She's an attention seeker nothing more

Eta I'm not saying the flag should stay up. I'm just saying this lady is no hero
edit on pm720153112America/ChicagoFri, 03 Jul 2015 12:36:12 -0500_7000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

We all aren't aware of every single thing that there is to be aware about. I said you are ignorant of the long existing controversy of that flag flying at government buildings. That is not in any kind of way sating that you are ignorant person.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join