It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bree Newsome Speaks On Cutting Down Flag at SC Capitol

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I think she is getting ready to run for political office, that was a great sound bite speech.
edit on 30-6-2015 by irishhaf because: Replied to wrong post

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: beezzer

Yesterday at the SC Capitol there was both anti-flag and pro-flag protestors. An anti-flag protestor grabbed a Rebel flag off passing car and an altercation resulted. I don't the anti-flag protestor should have done what he did. There's a difference between what he and Bree Newsome did.

It is absolutely the same with the exception of a monument (state owned) vs. private property (personal)
edit on 30-6-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Yesterday at the SC Capitol there was both anti-flag and pro-flag protestors. An anti-flag protestor grabbed a Rebel flag off passing car and an altercation resulted. I don't the anti-flag protestor should have done what he did. There's a difference between what he and Bree Newsome did.

too bad this isnt the middle east he could had chopped off the thiefs hand legally. BOTh of them took something that did not belong to them,and both are criminals guilty of theft.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

One is a statement to the government that it's not okay to make a tyrannical statement against a certain group within the population. The other was theft.

Huge difference.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

One is a statement to the government that it's not okay to make a tyrannical statement against a certain group within the population. The other was theft.

Huge difference.

Same effect , both are crimes. It really does not matter the reason. If you rob a store because your family is hungry.......even though it may be for a good cause.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

So you think standing up to the government is bad?

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

No , I think standing up to the government by performing criminal acts is.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Rosa Parks shouldn't have refused to give up her seat? That was a crime too.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Not comparable. The flag was set to be taken down anyway. SC had already deemed it so. There was nothing to go against the government for. This was a case of the old 15 minutes of fame. Rosa Parks had no such ambition.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

They haven't held a vote on removing the flag and thanks to the determination to keep the flag there, it needs a 2/3 majority from the House and Senate. You really should read her statement... that was the point of the thread. Maybe you'll understand better after.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I did it because I am free.

I don't care if you like what she did or not, we should all be more willing to step on to the courthouses and legislative grounds of this country, protest and act on what we believe in.

We do it because we are free. If we don't do it, we deserve no freedom at all.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Exactly.

Also, to remind lawmakers that from time to time if you make shtty laws... they will be flagrantly broken.
edit on 6/30/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Huge difference.

No, not really. Both females took something that didn't belong to them. The only difference here is that you agree with one and disagree with the other, but that's a personal bias/hypocrisy issue, not something directly related to either flag stealing action...

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Did Rosa Parks carefully coordinate her act of protest? Was she assisted onto the bus by a white man to ensure gender and ethnic unity was demonstrated? Did she pre-plan her actions, and call the media beforehand to ensure maximum media exposure? Did she make a carefully prepared speech following the event? No, she sat down where she wanted to sit down on a bus where she had paid her fare and felt it her right to sit down.

This, however, was a PR stunt which also involved theft and destruction of property.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I wasn't meaning to compare the circumstances... only that sometimes breaking the law is justified. I am of the opinion that this is one of those cases. But irregardless, this thread isn't about what she did, it's about what she said.

Still... I bet a lot of of people said similar things about Rosa Parks at the time, that it was stupid, what was the big deal, why didn't she just get up.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

for I/2 million confederate and union soldiers it was the worse....especially when it was over slavery

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I do see your point, Kali.

You were for the protestors trampling the American flag and against the woman taking the flag away (in the other thread)

Here, you are for the protestor taking down the confederate flag and against those that wanted it up.

In both cases, the women were taking away the flags.

But in only one case, was the woman trying to defend and protect it.

I just found the dichotomy interesting where people where saying that it was just a flag and not representative of anything, yet in this case, the flag was representative.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I never said the American flag didn't represent anything in that other thread and I wasn't for the trampling of the flag though I understand why they were... I was/am for their right to do it. In fact I think it is silly to deny that symbols mean anything. I don't think most people even understand how important symbols are until it's one that is highly emotional to them. It may seem ironic but I love the American flag... I love what it is supposed to represent. It breaks my heart that our society and our government still doesn't hold itself to its standards.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

She went about it the wrong way is all i am saying.

Is Civil Disobedience always wrong?

Not in my book. It wasn't violent - and she made a powerful statement

She also knew what she was getting into

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I love this woman, I have a new hero.

If someone were to ask me who most likely authored this thread - I would've guessed you

:-)

She got to me too Kali

Hopefully she'll pick up some donations to help with her fine - and her legal fees

If she ends up doing jail time - there will be plenty more opportunity to talk about what she did. I'm pretty sure she factored all that in before she made her climb

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join