It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Oliver Segment on Transgender Rights

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I can agree with what you have said and I am sick of hearing about all of these issues. But I can also understand why they are vocal.

Have you ever heard of the idiom, "the squeaky wheel get the grease"?

That means that the loudest among us get the attention. Right now, people in these groups feel they need to get the attention of others so they can work towards equal rights, application, etc.

So they will be vocal for a while, we will give them the rights they are granted and they will quiet down.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: introvert
I understand what transgender is and the basic details behind it, but it's still, honestly, "odd" and "weird" to me.

I think that's perfectly natural. It IS different from what most people have been educated on, because they've had to "hide" their identity for fear of violent repercussions.

I'm not saying that to be bigoted. I'm saying that because I want to be honest, I think a lot of people view it the same as I do and are afraid to approach the issue because of potential backlash.

If they approach it like you do, there's nothing to be afraid of. Most people would be glad to help you understand a little more.

Oh how i can relate to having to hide the fact i am Gender dysphoric to my traditionally raised southern parents. Who i suspect would kick me out with nothing but the clothes on my back.

i dislike male bodies(such as mine) and truly wish i had the money and ability to stand on my own and make myself closer to what i actually am.

Thanks to our countrys view on"perfect children" has made this problem much worse. Alot of babies get re assiggned when they have both organs by doctors because they are so scared of being sued.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

We are proud for different reasons.. many of are Proud for being us in the face of discrimination, in the face of being called unnatural and a defect, we say ok and we are proud to be us and open.

You don't just pick up a Transgender Card, i don't know if you fully understand it all, but it's not a choice you can just decide upon

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
you act like his/her genitalia has nothing to do with his/her change in identity.

But that's HER business, not the world's. If you got married, put a notice in the paper and held a lavish ceremony to commemorate the occasion, it's no one's business how many times you and your partner have sex, is it? Although sex IS usually a part of marriage.

frankly, its not the genitals that concerns me. its the BEING LOUD. the BEING PROUD. im white, i have brown hair, im average build, im not proud of any of these things anymore than im proud of having ten fingers or teeth.

But, while you were growing up, were you bullied, maligned and shamed for being white, having brown hair, being of average build? Did your parents kick you out of your home when they discovered these things about you? Have you felt that you had to hide these things your whole life?

Living a life of shame and embarrassment has a way of taking a toll on a person. When they realize that they have a support system of people "just like them", it's only natural to STOP being ashamed and START being proud.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think what is a huge folly of our present society is the inability to accept a spectrum point of view. The world is not black/white. It is very much all in shades of grey.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Would that be 50..*cough*

I agree, thinking outside the Binary and what exist instead of just having a narrow mind of 'Male Female' 'Gay Straight' 'Black White'

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
A reply to: TzarChasm

Don't take it out on everyone else just because you have low self esteem.

edit on CDTMon, 29 Jun 2015 16:27:50 -0500pmppAmerica/Chicago29-05:00Mon, 29 Jun 2015 16:27:50 -050027 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

edit on CDTMon, 29 Jun 2015 16:28:36 -0500pmppAmerica/Chicago29-05:00Mon, 29 Jun 2015 16:28:36 -050028 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

But that's HER business, not the world's. If you got married, put a notice in the paper and held a lavish ceremony to commemorate the occasion, it's no one's business how many times you and your partner have sex, is it? Although sex IS usually a part of marriage.

if it isnt the worlds business, then WHY IS IT ALL OVER THE WORLD?

But, while you were growing up, were you bullied, maligned and shamed for being white, having brown hair, being of average build? Did your parents kick you out of your home when they discovered these things about you? Have you felt that you had to hide these things your whole life?

thats not what im talking about here. im not talking about oppression, im talking about commercializing yourself. which is what i see mr./mrs jenner doing.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrappedPrincess
A reply to: TzarChasm

Don't take it out on everyone else just because you have low self esteem.

Its funny how you think by trying to make it look like im projecting, you can make me slink away like a beaten mongrel. One, you dont know crap about me, so dont go there sweetie. Two, my self esteem is neither the topic nor the issue here. So again, dont go there sweetcakes. And third, I dont need to be the center of attention (like some people i could name) to feel like im worth the space i currently occupy. I'm not special or exceptional and i am okay with that. if i DID feel the need to change my gender, i sure the hell wouldnt also feel the need to broadcast it like i deserve a goddamn trophy. THAT would make me look like i have low self esteem.
edit on 29-6-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

First off, I don't watch videos on the interwebz, so I have zero clue of what was in it.

On to my questions. What "struggles" do y'all face on a daily basis? What rights have you been denied?

I personally don't care what ya do with your life, or the choices you make. I AM sick of hearing every special snowflake tell me how I need to accept their lifestyles, as if my acceptance somehow makes things all better?

If it's jobs you're being denied, you might need to ask yourself a few questions and maybe, just maybe, think about your future employers "feelings"... I wont hire someone with horrendous face tats, just the same as I wont hire some guy that wants to wear dresses to work. Nothing wrong with that and it's my decision, just as it's your decision to not feel right in your body.

If it's restroom denial, grow the # up! Not only have I used the opposite sexes pisser, so has the other side. I've stood at the door of a mens restroom to allow a lady to go in without peeping eyes and have had women do the same for me. What right are you being denied when asked to use the restroom designated for your sex?

The Supreme Court has said that marriage is no longer solely between a man and a women, so again, I don't see a "struggle".

If it's acceptance you're after, remember this, what I think of you means absolutely nothing! You yourself is what defines you and if people don't like you, deal with it like the rest of us hated bastards! Ignore your haters like the special snowflake you're!

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I can get a trophy??? YAY!!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

if it isnt the worlds business, then WHY IS IT ALL OVER THE WORLD?

Her genitals are not "all over the world". She's one of the people bringing the transgender issue into the public. Just like being gay isn't all about sex (as many think) being transgender isn't all about what's between your legs. It's about CLAIMING who you have always known you were, but were too afraid and ashamed to say, BECAUSE of people's responses.

thats not what im talking about here. im not talking about oppression, im talking about commercializing yourself. which is what i see mr./mrs jenner doing.

Oh, good Lord! No one else ever commercializes themselves! Politicians, actors, singers, YouTube sensations, salespersons, prize fighters, authors, artists, talk show hosts, political commentators and sports players commercialize themselves. But it's bad when Caitlyn Jenner does it? Is that what you're saying here?

Two, my self esteem is neither the topic nor the issue here.

Neither are genitals...
edit on 6/29/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

But she was already commercialized, her transition had nothing to do with that, blame the "Celebrity" and the Media, but it has nothing to do with her being Transgender, or anyone else who is Loud and Proud

You can't shame someone into acting how you want them too

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Wait.. what?

what struggles do we face? Abuse Verbally and physically, Workplace discrimination.. we can fired just for being GLBTQ, Blood Donation, property, housing, adoption.. on top of the Death rate that GLBTQ people face daily.. so shall i go on?

as far the restroom comment, people are being denied their Gender, if a Women's restroom is for Women than a Transgender Women should be allowed to use it, same for Transgender Males

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Show me your genitals

I still can't figure out to post video directly from youtube GRRR...
edit on CDTMon, 29 Jun 2015 17:09:00 -0500pmppAmerica/Chicago29-05:00Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:09:00 -050009 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Neither are genitals...

besides chromosomal tests, genitals are the most direct way i can think of to determine someones gender. and, i mean, how else do you decide when you are finally a girl or boy if you arent looking at your crotch? society kind of orients our gender roles around the functions of said anatomical parts. or it used to, anyway...a little less overboard about it now. but still.

the point is being missed here. if genitals are mentioned hereforward, i will ignore it.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

Here you go

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

But she was already commercialized, her transition had nothing to do with that, blame the "Celebrity" and the Media, but it has nothing to do with her being Transgender, or anyone else who is Loud and Proud

You can't shame someone into acting how you want them too

bullcrap. and im not going to argue it either because i dont feel like wasting the time discussing the psychological effects of guilt tripping and humiliation, whether it be at the hands of bullies or "trailblazing" minority champions who think the louder the are, the more good they are doing. like feminazis. for one example.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Lol thank you...that should help relay the ridiculousness of it all.

a reply to: Darth_Prime

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Oddly enough, the fishing industry in Alaska gave me a firm grounding, the hard way, in relating...

There was, and probably still is, a significant percentage of LGBT folks working in the industry. A lot of them are working to save money for surgeries, and others because it's an easy way to save money.

You learn to relate or get really nasty things thrown at you...or really hard frozen things.

Treat 'em like people and gee, you'll have little or no problem.

That industry you can not be a bigot of any sort and hope to make it. Or if you are, you damned well better keep it to yourself, because you'll be outnumbered. The stories I could tell of bigots getting well deserved comeuppances...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join