It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Oliver Segment on Transgender Rights

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver once again hit the nail right in the head with his segment last night discussing the issues and discrimination that transgender Americans face.

When I was first coming out and navigating the queer community, I made many major faux pas when meeting the transgender members. That kind of education is painful for both parties and even today I'm still ashamed of myself because I didn't know better. Hopefully, through Oliver, less people will make the same mistakes and maybe understand the struggles the trans* community face on a day to day basis.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

The media and country as a whole still can't seem to
grasp the very graspable concept of transgender.

Transgender people have a gender identity that differs from the one they were assigned at birth, and that gender identity is not the same as sexual orientation. Gender identity is who you are, sexual orientation is who you love. Some transgender people do undergo hormone therapy or sexual reassignment surgery as part of their transition; some do not. And interestingly, their decision on this matter is, medically speaking, none of your f-cking business. If you’re still wondering, ‘What do I call a transgender person, it’s so confusing,’ actually it’s pretty simple: call them whatever they want to be called.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Oliver is the only guy who could pull off Jon Stewart's Daily Show when he leaves. The guy they choose for it is third rate compared to Stewart. Stewart can play the part of ten characters within seconds, and play the voices and attitudes perfectly to give the overview of a news item. Oliver can do some of that, and do it well. Shame that Comedy Central doesn't go all out to hire him for the position.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I think that had Comedy Central known in advance about Stewart leaving, they would've put John Oliver in the fast lane to be the new host of the Daily Show. It was his success as the interim host that propelled him from correspondent to leading man and someone was going to snatch him up quick.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I can't believe the questions these people are being asked and how they're being treated!

John Oliver is fantastic! GREAT video! Everyone who doesn't know about LGBT issues should watch it.

This week's Supreme Court ruling is sure to be one that advances LGBT rights, but not without the conservative laws and the Huckabee's fighting it every step of the way... I can't believe how prejudiced people are...

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I am as guilty as anybody of trying to be supportive and understanding while at the same not knowing I am being offensive. It is confusing enough for people on the outside, I can not imagine how confusing it must be at the personal level with almost nowhere to turn for guidance and nothing but, ignorance even from the well intentioned all around. Those suicide numbers are a true shame. America is trying but, I guess we are all going to have to try a little harder.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

To be honest, even being in the community, I still make mistakes. While walking to lunch at a queer conference, I overheard some of the attendees discussing the challenges they faced as being transgender individuals. I don't remember how it was brought up, but I do remember turning to one of the women and asking her birth name. HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE faux pas. She had every right to explode (it was a question she was probably asked more often than not) or to get angry with me, especially at a conference where she was supposed to feel like she belonged, and there I went and alienated her. Instead, she took the time over lunch to talk to me about why that question, and others, were inappropriate.

There are going to be many learning experiences for people, and some will be painful, awkward and embarrassing, but necessary.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Most LGBT people I've seen are very cool about people who honestly don't understand or aren't familiar with the terminology or other information. They can tell if someone is genuinely trying to understand. Asking people specifics about their genitals on a TV interview is offensive, no matter who they are.

I've learned everything I know about trans people from the Internet. As far as I know, I don't know any transgendered people. But one can educate themselves completely about the subject if they want to.

You're right. America is trying and that's great. Unfortunately, there's a VERY strong force in opposition to the movement toward civil rights for LGBT. But this week, we took a big step in the right direction.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I think what has helped too are the portrayals of trans* characters on TV. Laverne Cox has helped to make great strides through her role on Orange is the New Black and using her fame and reach to be an activist and teacher. Transparent on Shomi, which I recently marathon'd, was amazing too in exploring older people coming out as transgender and their lifelong struggle between being acceptable to society but also being themselves. I think Transparent is especially effective because as a viewer, you share in the pain.
edit on 6/29/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Awesome enlightening vid! Also, where can I learn more about this "space bestiality"? For educational purposes, of course...

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I've never seen either one of those shows, but I think you're right. The exposure and normalizing is valuable to the movement toward civil rights...

Is OITNB good?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka

Transgender people have a gender identity that differs from the one they were assigned at birth, and that gender identity is not the same as sexual orientation. Gender identity is who you are, sexual orientation is who you love. Some transgender people do undergo hormone therapy or sexual reassignment surgery as part of their transition; some do not. And interestingly, their decision on this matter is, medically speaking, none of your f-cking business. If you’re still wondering, ‘What do I call a transgender person, it’s so confusing,’ actually it’s pretty simple: call them whatever they want to be called.

"And interestingly, their decision on this matter is, medically speaking, none of your f-cking business"

then tell mr. jenner to stop MAKING it our business. its only been crammed in every news feed that has access to america.
edit on 29-6-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Personally, I love OITNB. The show ends up dealing with a lot of painful issues that women from all walks of life face. Plus I'm a sucker for a show that has a canon-lesbian relationship. Up until recently, all my lesbian content has been fan fiction, and the occasional mainstream movie. Representation is important in the media because we are, by and large, socialized by TV now.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

I understand what transgender is and the basic details behind it, but it's still, honestly, "odd" and "weird" to me. I'm not saying that to be bigoted. I'm saying that because I want to be honest, I think a lot of people view it the same as I do and are afraid to approach the issue because of potential backlash.

Even though I feel that way, I fully support them in their political causes and I want them to live as they want and to be afforded all the freedoms we all have.

We have to let people be free, if we want to be free to live how we wish.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I'm not transgender, but i am genderfluid.. which is not commonly talked about or Understood as well, so while i can't fully understand how transgender people feel i can relate on some points

When people find the thought of 'GLBTQ disgusting, i always think to the death percentages, i find that disgusting, that people would rather Kill someone then let them live, regardless what your religious beliefs, or personal beliefs are

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

"And interestingly, their decision on this matter is, medically speaking, none of your f-cking business"

then tell mr. jenner to stop MAKING it our business. its only been crammed in every news feed that has access to america.

Is Caitlyn openly exposing her genitals on national television? No? Are you having sexual relations with Caitlyn? No? Then her genitals are none of your business.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is why we need open forms of communication, so people can learn about Transgender and Genderfluid and also Gay Lesbian and Bisexual... our voices are hardly heard. and i'm not talking about Miley Cyrus who personally i can't stand for personal reason, or "Celebrities" that get assigned our spokesperson.

knowledge is never a bad thing, instead of keeping us away as Taboo

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
I understand what transgender is and the basic details behind it, but it's still, honestly, "odd" and "weird" to me.

I think that's perfectly natural. It IS different from what most people have been educated on, because they've had to "hide" their identity for fear of violent repercussions.

I'm not saying that to be bigoted. I'm saying that because I want to be honest, I think a lot of people view it the same as I do and are afraid to approach the issue because of potential backlash.

If they approach it like you do, there's nothing to be afraid of. Most people would be glad to help you understand a little more.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Yes, i actually want people to ask about me, i want people to have knowledge of it, even if it's from my perspective that way people are less fearful, or uncomfortable. i know many people don't want to offend so they are afraid to act a certain way, or ask questions... but i personally welcome it.. as long as it's not coming from a place of hate or shame

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Is Caitlyn openly exposing her genitals on national television? No? Are you having sexual relations with Caitlyn? No? Then her genitals are none of your business.

you act like his/her genitalia has nothing to do with his/her change in identity. frankly, its not the genitals that concerns me. its the BEING LOUD. the BEING PROUD. im white, i have brown hair, im average build, im not proud of any of these things anymore than im proud of having ten fingers or teeth. i have no reason to be proud. it doesnt make me special, it doesnt make me unique, it doesnt make me more deserving of consideration. and i dont respect people who use their bodies to get that kind of attention. perhaps jenner isnt one of those people, but he/she has certainly demonstrated just how easy it is to be. want free sympathy points? just pick up a transgender card at your local pharmacy and join the INSTANT MINORITY club where oppression and prejudice are just a deliberate misunderstanding away! easily guilt trip random strangers into giving you whatever you want! free license to ranting spontaneously on the injustices of the world and how entitled that makes YOU, as a newly credited minority! gets yours today!

turning sexuality/gender/race/social class/political affiliation into a prop is NOT cool.
edit on 29-6-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join