It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much Do We Really Know

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I know that we have only explored about 5 percent of the ocean but how much of Earths land mass have we explored ( forest, caves, mountains etc. ) that we know of.

I'm asking because i believe that we only know of about 20 percent of the life on earth including humans. I also believe that in the highest mountains, deepest caves, and the furthest reaches of the forest and deserts lie the unknown unknowns meaning ancient civilizations, thought to be extinct animals and I'm positive that the holes in our theory of evolution can be filled im exploring these regions. Of course the oceans hold basically the answers to the universe if we could find a way to the very bottom but I'm curious about how you all feel about this so don't be shy chime in
edit on 6/28/2015 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
There's no doubt that there's still much left to discover. I would be real surprised, however, if we discover anymore entire civilizations that we don't currently know of. That's not to say it's impossible, but it would surprise me.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: rebellion7

Read the articles

It isn't just what "isn't known" it is also what is hidden and covered up.

chroniclingamerica.loc.gov...

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: admirethedistance

So what's your take on things? Just curious

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: rebellion7

I was thinking about this just the other day. It seems like there's no where left to really explore. Satellites imagery is often used to identify Bronze and Iron Age sites buried under farmland and there are probably interesting sites beneath the rain forest canopies too.

The thing is, none of these locations will involve expeditions to mysterious lands - everywhere on Earth seems accessible to tourism. There's no 'dark interior' to Africa anymore and no lost citadels in the Himalayas. No civilisations, no large animals and no more Tutankhamen troves.

The last large animal to be discovered will probably remain the giant/colossal squid. We could see some awesome sights from various ocean trenches and that's something to look forward to as technology develops.

It's sad because anyone born in this millennium will live in a world that holds very few mysteries. For them, the mysterious lands and civilisations will have to be projected out there amongst the stars. They'll probably see more and more exoplanets and, maybe, get to see the first atmospheric analysis that discovers life on one of them. Not too bad...

A second thought occurred too. It's that, as the world becomes so accessible, it also becomes 'smaller.' Space isn't getting any smaller though and we're decades away from even putting a boot on Mars. Maybe richer societies will increasingly withdraw into virtual worlds when the physical world is so unenthralling and 'done?'

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

This is a fantastic post. I believe we are really just a few leaps from seeing the far reaches of space and understanding most everything around us. While it is true that there aren't many exciting natural mysteries, we are witnessing a wonderful age; at least, in terms of technology. This technology opens up mysteries that were incomprehensible in the past; things like interdimensional, (spell check says this spelling is wrong), and interplanetary space travel. The biggest shame is that most of us will never get a chance to realize all of the universe and its' splendor; as it appears that we are doomed to be replaced by computers that only serve a select few.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

There is still the mystery European culture (not civilization) that is left to be found.

As far as civilization....there must be. Deep inside the jungles of the world. And deep under the sand of the deserts.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: rebellion7
I'm positive that the holes in our theory of evolution can be filled im exploring these regions.

What holes are you talking about, The theory of Evolution is both a fact and a theory, because it has no holes. When I hear comments like there, its very clear that they are made from ignorance.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I agree with the above, there is probably evidence lost beneath the sands of the Sahara of an ancient civilisation or two. The Egyptians reference Nubian civilisations to the south. And I'm... reasonably confident there was something in the Saharan region that has been lost.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
I agree with the above, there is probably evidence lost beneath the sands of the Sahara of an ancient civilisation or two. The Egyptians reference Nubian civilisations to the south. And I'm... reasonably confident there was something in the Saharan region that has been lost.

This missing Saharan civilisation ?
en.wikipedia.org...
Was known about by the Greeks and the Romans so it has never been lost

Nubian civilisations, like perhaps the aptly named "Nubian civilisation", the clue is in the name
oi.uchicago.edu...

It does pay to do a little research sometimes,

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
One has to wonder how many civilizations have left no traces of their existance at all to be found. Some materials rot over time... the ones that do not are often picked up and used. People didn't always have a sense of preserving history. Wood will rot, stones get picked up for the construction of new buildings.

When it comes to old civilizations, there's only so far you can travel back. At some point there will be no records left. For example a lot of ancient greek and egyptian history has been lost due to sacking during wars, or using of the stones from major monuments for new buildings. Imagine a civilization two times or three times as old as the egyptians.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fer1527
One has to wonder how many civilizations have left no traces of their existance at all to be found. Some materials rot over time... the ones that do not are often picked up and used. People didn't always have a sense of preserving history. Wood will rot, stones get picked up for the construction of new buildings.

When it comes to old civilizations, there's only so far you can travel back. At some point there will be no records left. For example a lot of ancient greek and egyptian history has been lost due to sacking during wars, or using of the stones from major monuments for new buildings. Imagine a civilization two times or three times as old as the egyptians.

Name me one civilisation which isn't known from its copious archaeology.
Just one ?

You are clutching at straws with this
Firstly, no civilisation exists in a vacuum
Secondly, archaeologists frequently learn more about a culture from its mddens than they do its texts
Thirdly you've been misreading Plato haven't you

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

Nothing in your reply really makes sense to me. Care to explain what are you trying to say?

I can't really name an unknown civilization, for what I believe to be an obvious reason: it is unknown.
edit on 29-6-2015 by Fer1527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Antarctica is probably your best bet but the civilisation would have to be VERY old when it was not locked in ice or they are still there under the ice or perhaps they live at the bottom of the deep ocean in a trench.

Or maybe they involved into higher energy beings and live in a different dimension but are still here - ghosts,aliens, gods, demons, bigfoot, mermaids......

Suffice to say I don't know but there are many possibilities.

edit on 29-6-2015 by johnb because: spelling

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
What if most of what you have been thought in school about western history is wrong. What if there was no Roman civilization. What if there were no Greek Philosophers. What if the Dark Ages did not exist and our timeline was about 1,000 years wrong and we're actually living in about 1,000 AC. What if our so-called ancient history is a complete lie and mostly written by Jesuit priest and everyone who opposed this "revised" version of history were simply killed. What if. Think. Research for yourself.

-MM

edit on 29-6-2015 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The seas of the world still hold quite alot of possible new discoveries i would think. Many cities were flooded and have remained that way ever since. Hundreds of years of sand, debris and rubbish push them further down & out of our reach.
Antarctica & the Amazon Rain Forest I feel still hold many secrets.

For me though, Egypt holds the key to our past. I still believe that there is one massive significant find still buried under the sands of Egypt somewhere. What that is I don't know but Something is out there, waiting to be discovered.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Define "civilization"? It's a seriously loaded term.

There are undoubtedly communities and cultures that are undiscovered, or - more likely - "discovered" but not actually documented or explored (for instance we know there were large Indian communities in the Amazon from Spanish accounts and some scattered archaeological remains - but it's so inaccessible that we've not really "dug in.")

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Trust me i know that there are government experiments and facilities that we don't know about and I'm sure that we are about 10 years ahead of the technology we think we have. That being said i believe that there are so many secrets and cover ups because the government doesn't know half as much as they want or as much as we think they do. But they know more than us so they have to hold on to that feeling of having power through knowledge

(post by Marduk removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

"The Sea People"?

Closest I could come up with.

Well, and Atlantis, if Plato's writings make it "known".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join