It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funny Dancing Fern (video)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I've seen them before. They're pretty cool. It's just the wind i think. Even just a slight little breeze at the right angles.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

A 2001 study in the American Journal of Botany titled 'Oscillation frequencies of tapered plant stems.' examined the phenomenon of plants that appear to sway on their own.
The key, it found, was extremely weak winds that are imperceptible to humans, but magnify oscillations in the plant, making it appear to move for no reason.
'Free oscillations of upright plant stems, or in technical terms, slender tapered rods with one end free, can be described by considering the equilibrium between bending moments in the form of a differential equation with appropriate boundary conditions,' the researchers Hanns-Christof Spatz and Olga Speck wrote, before analysing the forces needed to the bizarre phenomenon.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

ETA: Link to Original Paper

Apparently, micro winds that are imperceptible to us can hit a plant of just the right shape in just the right way to start an oscillation along it's natural frequency.

See also Tacoma Narrows bridge for a large scale view of the principle.

edit on 30-6-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Nice post.

thanks for the info.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: gottaknow
Ok - this does weird me out a bit.

Mostly because there are OTHER videos of the same thing. One in particular that is clearly moving in such a way that it cannot be happening from a creature in the ground below it.

There are others too. At this point, I'm just thinking (assuming these aren't all hoaxes) that there might be some reflexive, genetic factor that upon some certain stage of maturation causes this kind of dancing movement to further help spread it's spores. Still, if that's the case, then plants just got that more interesting.

well it is said they do have a consciousness, who knows? maybe I'll try the next time I'm out in the woods to ask one to dance for me,lol
actually after watching a few other video's it does look purposeful...too funny!
edit on 30-6-2015 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I think that scientifically speaking, the wind theory is the best one. Having seen it in person, I can honestly say that it just didn't seem possible, because of the lack of any sort of steady currents....however, that certainly isn't scientific, is it?

Either way, I feel fortunate to have observed it and been able to capture it! Thanks for all of the input!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join