It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funny Dancing Fern (video)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I haven't shared anything here for a while, but when I came across this oddity today, I thought of how my friends here at ATS would get a kick out of it!

I was hiking out on the Baker Lake Trail (located on Baker lake, in the Cascade Mountains in Washington State) when I rounded a corner and saw some movement. Thinking an animal was about to jump out; I stopped. When nothing happened, but the 'rustling' foliage began moving even more earnestly, I started watching with interest. I know I have seen video of this before, but I've never seen it in person. There was one lone fern prong, twisting and waving almost violently, while all of the bushes around remained still. As you can see from when I pan around a little, further out a few small leaves move just slightly, but there wasn't a steady breeze. It was a very hot, muggy day today. As it continued, I decided to film it for a bit. I didn't hang around because I had already lost my hiking partner and to be honest....I was absolutely beat and already on automatic pilot in order to just complete the 12 mile voyage!

Here is an article: www.dailymail.co.uk... about a similar occurrence. What I got from that mumble-jumbo though, is that they really don't know.

Here it is. Enjoy!

edit on 28-6-2015 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: westcoast

I've seen that type of action before in one of Arnold's movies.
Good thing you left the area quickly while you still had your hide.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

That was strange. Maybe there was a mole under there trying to work around it? I live in Pierce county and used to go hiking a lot, never saw that happen. Thanks for sharing this.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Ferns have saved me from a bad fall from a creek bank.
Ferns and me, we get along fine.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Strange little creatures.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Here's one, guess it's something they do.

edit on 28-6-2015 by ahimsa because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-6-2015 by ahimsa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

We'll put a happy little tree here,
Oh and look a happy little water fall just right... what Bob Ross, a water fall doesn't fit.. Oh..

And we'll put a happy little dancing fern right here.
There we go.

What in the world?

edit on 29-6-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Ok - this does weird me out a bit.

Mostly because there are OTHER videos of the same thing. One in particular that is clearly moving in such a way that it cannot be happening from a creature in the ground below it.

There are others too. At this point, I'm just thinking (assuming these aren't all hoaxes) that there might be some reflexive, genetic factor that upon some certain stage of maturation causes this kind of dancing movement to further help spread it's spores. Still, if that's the case, then plants just got that more interesting.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Great catch on video!
I've seen it happen in our lane, the edges of which are lined with ferns. I always assumed it was a mechanism for spreading spores.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Hi westcoast,

Haven't seen you in a while. Hope all is going well with you and yours.

I have seen these video's also. Guess it's critters underground burrowing.

If I saw this I too would be curious. Kinda creepy.

I have those little mole holes around and lots of ferns. I will be paying more attention to see if I can spot this kind of activity in my own woods.
edit on 29-6-2015 by crappiekat because: sp

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Triffids people triffids , dont look at any lights in the sky .

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Ha Ha...

I have never seen the movie. I'm sure it's "Creature feature" material.

Sorry I had the link, and now I can't link. POO POO
edit on 29-6-2015 by crappiekat because: to add

edit on 29-6-2015 by crappiekat because: sp

en.wikipedia.org...

Now I got it.
edit on 29-6-2015 by crappiekat because: to add

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

I have never seen the movie. I'm sure it's "Creature feature" material.

Do yourself a favour and read the book .

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Thanks, I will take that advice.

Book always better than movies.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

This is a good one too. I either forgot about the dancing fern or this is something new for me, but I think this behaviour is really cool. Now I want to go find me a dancing fern

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I watched The Happening, this past Saturday afternoon. This reminded me of that movie a bit.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wow! Thanks for all of the responses, and the other videos.

As to this being a result of an animal burrowing underneath it...I just don't think so. It's hard to explain, but before I turned the video on (I stood there entranced for a while first) The top of the fern was literally twisting around, side to side in the opposite direction that the base of the fern was moving. You can still see that a bit in the video, especially at the beginning of it.

If the plant were being moved at the base (or underground) I think it would be more of a shaking motion. The whole frond seemed to be moving independently, and even against itself. This is totally my opinion, but I really had a sense of the plant having purposeful behavior, meaning that it was controlling its motion.

I have seen/read a lot of literature alluding to awareness in plants and I really have to say that I buy into that much more, after this experience!
edit on 29-6-2015 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: westcoast

I have seen/read a lot of literature alluding to awareness in plants and I really have to say that I buy into that much more, after this experience!

I'm with you there. I love how plants feel.
They are like stretch stretch stretch giggle into the Sun!! Some of them are like that.
I lost my ability to hear them now though. Too much computer time I think.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Never thought of that; it would make sense.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Fascinating videos indeed. I would propose an hypothesis.

In each of the videos there is some evidence that there is indeed a bit of wind blowing. Leaves on surrounding plants are actually moving a bit, not a lot, but a bit. The fern frond is sticking up above the rest of the foliage - sticking up just like a sail on a sailing vessel.

My hypothesis is that there is just enough wind to set the frond moving - it wouldn't take much - and just enough tension in the fronds structure so that it acts like a spring. I'd guess that there is a sweet spot relating the strength of the wind and the spring in the frond to set up a movement much like a standing wave.

The phenomenon may actually have a 'purpose' for the frond - perhaps it is releasing spores into the wind during the dance or something.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join