It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The BUFF.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Big.

Ugly.

Fat.

Fellow

The iconic Boeing B-52 Stratofortress.

BUFF

Eleven years before I was born, the first one flew. I'm 51 now. ...and the Air Force plans to keep flying them 'til 2040, perhaps longer.

I spent the better part of my first fifteen years on, or around, Air Force bases, specifically SAC bases (strategic air command). I've lost count of the number of B-52's I've seen take off. Most of 'em carrying sufficient payloads to level small countries.

After all these years, it's still a viable weapons system, and figures to remain so for quite a while longer.

Amazing that the last model came into service two years before I was born. By the time they retire, the plane airframes will be almost a century old. Some of the pilots grand fathers will have flown the beast...

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I've always liked that slumped wing look they have while on the ground, reminds me of a bird of prey. Intimidating.
edit on 28-6-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Them wings look a little to heavy for me to fly in lol , creep me out watching them flex like that

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I don't believe "fellow" was the term I learned when I first heard the name BUFF. Lol

I doubt there is anything a infantry Soldier fears more than a arc light strike.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

No, it wasn't. A little judicious editing on my part...

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I've always liked that slumped wing look they have while on the ground, reminds me of a bird of prey. Intimidating.

The reason they are slump-winged id there is fuel in the tanks. I dont know about now , but they used to have a set or 2 of landing gear on each wing. If the aircraft had any fuel in the wings the wheel would be firmly on the ground . If not it was something like 20 ft or so off the ground.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Longer. They announced at least 2048 recently. Both GE and P&W have reengining plans they've offered the Air Force since they're going to effectually run out of TF-33s.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

They didn't have composites when it was built, and they're so long they would drag without the pogos on the tips.

Those pogos are precisely placed to where, at least in Honolulu, if they taxied on the centerline and followed the curves, the pogos would take out every taxi light along the side of the taxiway.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
We don't need death camps, we have B52s.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
I don't believe "fellow" was the term I learned when I first heard the name BUFF. Lol

I doubt there is anything a infantry Soldier fears more than a arc light strike.

In SAC it was different than "fellow" . Fellow is how it was known to civilians .

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They didn't have composites when it was built, and they're so long they would drag without the pogos on the tips.

Those pogos are precisely placed to where, at least in Honolulu, if they taxied on the centerline and followed the curves, the pogos would take out every taxi light along the side of the taxiway.

yeah I would Imagine them wings would go kaput if the the slightest amount of trauma .

Big planes scare me , I am ok with smaller ones because you an always catch a good glide slope down , but I ma not to sure about the bigger ones .

Especially that monster

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Many years ago at Castle AFB they had one used for pilot training that the back had been twisted. Sucker just kept right on flying.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Many years ago at Castle AFB they had one used for pilot training that the back had been twisted. Sucker just kept right on flying.

I dono Zap man I am still not convinced enough to ever step foot in one of those lol

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Bloody...oh man they landed it like that ?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Landed, repaired, and flew it again.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Landed, repaired, and flew it again.

wow , but I still would never fly in one

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link