It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone explain the whole Banning of the Confederate Flag issue?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

on topic.. well more like on your friend comment

will edit this so u get my point one moment

i think this link should work at you end

leave it opened it should start playing on its own

(south park)

www.southpark.nl...
edit on 28-6-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Layaly
a reply to: Reverbs

on topic.. well more like on your friend comment

Transforming pain into something positive.
Taking over symbols.

I like to break down barriers.
The confederate flag, is a tense one for many.

EDIT: waiting on your edit.

edit on 28-6-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SgtHamsandwich

Here is your camel:

I hope people took the time to READ the text you shared with us - it was enlightening.

The justification I always hear for venerating the confederate flag is that it is a SYMBOL of 'southern culture'. I agree, it truly is; however, that culture of gentility and dignity and neighborlyness only encompassed wealthy white folk. It was built on and only possible because of black slavery if it ever truly existed (of which I have serious doubts).

I find it puzzling that people can't or won't see this. It is a reflection of the attitude so plainly described in the quote from the Succession Declaration of Texas that you so kindly shared.

Saying it's about culture is saying it's about a culture that doesn't recognize blacks (and other non-whites) as human beings, the very definition of racism.

I've become grateful for these discussions in helping me pay attention long enough to see this fundamental problem in US culture.

We are not living in a 'post-racist' USA but in a full on culture of 'denial of rascism'.

denial /de·ni·al/ (dĭ-ni´il) in psychiatry, a defense mechanism in which the existence of unpleasant internal or external realities is kept out of conscious awareness.

medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...(psychology)

edit on 28-6-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The Confederate flag hasn't been banned, but here's the gist of the situation:

Confederate flag = bad, racist, If you claim otherwise, you = bad, racist
Conservatives = bad, racist, If you claim otherwise, you = bad, racist
Civil War - Happened because of slavery, and no other reason. If you claim otherwise, you = bad, racist

I hope this clears it up for you.

(Considering the delicate sensibilities of some members, I'd like readers to note that the above was tongue-in-cheek)
edit on 6/28/2015 by ProfessorChaos because: edit to add

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Layaly

I have to agree with chef in that clip. In that episode the flag of South Park is 4 white stick figures standing around and a black stick figure hanging on a noose. The white guy forget his name, argues it's the history so it should stay. Chef is saying it's racist as hell.

Then the kids look at the flag and none of them can see the problem with the flag.
They were too young to know the history, and the flag was just a flag.. They didn't realize it was 4 white stick figure and a black one hanging. They just thought it was 5 people.

Chef get's mad at the kids for not seeing racism.. They could not see it because they were not racist. Chef eventually realizes it, as do the other "grownups."

I'm like the kids,

but I realize Racist symbols to a black person look a lot worse than they do to me.
I just can't want to see the confederate flag myself. Maybe if it was a symbol of Black History that they are also proud of I would understand it better, but it's NOT.

But anyone who thinks black history and southern culture are not hand in hand has never had Fried Chicken, or collard greens.. Lol..
(Fried food coming from western Africa)
edit on 28-6-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Since it's nearly July 4th and I'm on my yearly "1776" jag.

I'd like to invite you all to watch the movie verison of the musical "1776". It was written by a history teacher, who won many awards, so is very much based on historial documents. It is a very fun take on the run-up to the signing of the declaration of Independence from England.

It points out this 'clash of cultures' between North and South has been a long standing one. It shows how the right/left or perhaps Federal/States rights battle is part and parcel of our 'national' culture.

The you tube clip linked in my signature is to the song "Cool Cool Considerate Men" (orignally cut from the film at the request of Richard Nixon - arguably) which expresses this gentil 'vision' of sourthern life and their 'resistance' to declaring independence..

Listen closely to the lyrics. Expecaily the spoken segment between John Hancock and John Dickenson (of Pennsylvannia).

Link to Lyrics:

lyrics.wikia.com...:Cool,_Cool,_Considerate_Men

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

This is AMAZINGLY disingenuous.

Being an old white guy veteran from Philly, I have some experience with those who believe in the precepts of the Confederacy. One kept calling blacks 'n-word's but not with any hatred. He just thought the pickaninnies needed the strong boot of a white man to keep up and their inherent inferiority as a call to be ready to assist them. In turn since they were so incompetent, they should not be permitted to sway the politics or economic system because they would at best inadvertently crash them.
Then there was the young lady who told me when I asked if Panama City on the Red Neck Riviera, had any good night clubs (1967) to, "Get the hell away from me, you god damned Yankee."

The fact is the South has been a reservoir of hate for multiple reasons for a hundred and fifty years. They like to be asshats. The prefer to be bigots. Why? Willful ignorance sponsored by the Elite and their social control tools. The media, churches, political institutions, legal authorities, educational objectives and their parents have conspired to make the symbol of the effing Confederacy, a noble flapping rebuke of their conquerors. They think of the Union/Federal flag as a declaration of rejection for many of their (stupid and locally unchallenged) beliefs.

If they could have, they would have been a complete nation of untrammeled moronic, immoral ideals.
Since they are immoral and stupid it fits them perfectly.
It's easy to understand why they miss their niche of profound ignorance and racial supremacy.
Removing their prime symbol of thwarted rebellion is necessary to relieve us (you know, sane people) of their rallying cries to lost horrific causes.
I am not defending the use of the USA flag as a rallying point for Imperialism.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Political correctness run a muck! Feelings hurt over a cloth with dye added. This won't help the victim class one bit. Intercity killings and mayhem will continue unabated. Sad fact really

yep, and it`s all that ongoing and increasing innercity killings and mayhem that is the major catalyst that breeds racism.

if the confederate flag had never existed would there still be racism? hell yeah,it existed before the flag and it exists now.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join