It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vikings tv... Misleading lineage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Björn was not Lagertha´s son.. he was Aslaug´s son

Wife of Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson

Lagertha ("Hlaðgerðr", "Hladgerd", "Ladgerda", "Ladgertha", "Lathgertha", "Lathgertha Queen of Seeland")
Mother of Ragnhild Ragnarsdottir; Fridleif Ragnarsson and Dau Ragnarsdatter

Wife of Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson
Aslaug (Aslög) Kraka Sigurdsdatter, Warrior Queen
Mother of Ivar "The Boneless"; Björn Ragnarsson «Ironside» Järnsida; Sigurd "Orm-i-Øje/Snake-eye" Ragnarson; Hvítserkr Ragnarsson; Rognvald Ragnarsson; Hastein Ragnarsson (Jarl of Hastings; Ubba / Ubbe / Hubba / Ubbi / Husto) Sigfrid Lothbrock and Halvdan Ylving Ragnarson.

Ragnar was born in Uppsala, Sweden
Lagertha was born in Gaula, Sor-Trondelag, Norway
Aslaug was born in Ringerike,Buskerud,Norway, Aslaug´s father was Sigurd "Fafnisbana" Sigmundsson of Denmark ( also born in Ringerike,Buskerud,Norway died in 816 in Germany)

Ragnar´s father was Sigurd "Ring" Randversson a Danish king ( born in Uppsala Sweden ) and grandfather Randver På Gardarike Radbartsson King of Sweden ( born in Lethra, Denmark ). his great great grandfather was Radbart av Gardarrike King of Gardarige (born in Russia ), Radbart´s father was Skirta Ingvarsson (of Gardarike) king of the Obodtrites ( born in Sweden died in Elbe Germany )

So Ragnar did not raised up from nobody as the TV story tells us..

edit on 27-6-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Yeah I've always taken the Vikings with a grain of salt . But I do enjoy the show and would like to ask you two quick questions .

I thought the character Ragnar in history was based on Ivan the boneless ? Didn't he play a big role in uniting Scandinavians and the invasion of England ?

Second question , while I'm not sure if it is period accurate and it does seem to be well seeped in the actual Viking living conditions . Could you give me your take on that please ?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Surely its about as genuine as 'BraveHeart'.

Its very entertaining, but I dont take as historical fact.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Yes, Ivar the boneless there is also a documentary about him it is a long but when you have time

Ragnar ( born about 765) died 845 in Snake Pit, Northumberland, England
Rollo was not his brother as tv says, but Rollo is a historical character, he and his men took land around Paris (885-887)for few years before he married Gisela of France ( like in tv serie )

Period accurate is quite close. Instead some small issues. Spiced up with dirty Vikings when Vikings actually took much better care of themselves ( clean ) than other of that era and that was also part of their charm. lol
edit on 27-6-2015 by dollukka because: typo

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I didn't think they looked all that dirty when they are in hearth and home, but in the field ... yeah, but you would expect almost anyone out in the field for battle to look a bit cruddy.

And of course, there is also the convention of using relative cleanliness to signal wealth and power. A lot of feudal lords practically lived in stone barns if I remember correctly with dirty, crappy straw on the ground that almost never got changed out.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ClydeBuilt

Ragnar´s one lineage down from Björn is

Björn Ragnarsson «Ironside» Järnsida
Erik I (Björnsson) King of Upsala
Emund Eriksson, kung av Birka
Erik "Väderhatt" Anundsson, King of Sweden
Björn III "den gamle" Eriksson, Kung av Sveariket
Olaf II "den mäktiga" Björnsson, kung av Sveariket
Styrbjörn «Starke» Óláfsson
Torgils «Sprakling» Styrbjørnsson, Jarl
Regent of Denmark Ulf Jarl (Thorgilsson), Jarl av Danmark
Kong af Danmark Sweyn II Estridsson Ulfsson
Konge af Danmark Knud IV "den hellige", "Canute IV", "Knut IV den Hellige", "Canute the Holy", "Knut the Saint"
Prinsessa av Danmark Ingegerd Knudsdatter af Danmark, Drottning av Danmark

etc...

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Oh they totally mess it up! But they all look gorgeous whilst doing so

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I dont watch the show but from what I gather it isn't supposed to be a perfect historical representation of the Vikings or their ways. I've not watched more than an episode with full attention but my parents cannot get enough of the show, so it's always on in the background, I'm more than likely reading a book (Ron Burgendy biography at the moment, which is hilarious by the way) so only hear bits and pieces but yh I dont think its meant to be taken as factual.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Its television...is a show....for entertainment...to imply how things we're...not a history Class on "facts".

Geez...it's to sell commercials......

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Have you ever listened to hardcore history from Dan Carlin? He did at least a few hours on Vikings. I remember he made a point about them looking well groomed, with a cool style, almost rocker-esque. He does a lot of research on every topic, and pulls out a lot of things from history I learned wrong. I was wondering if you thought he was a good source, or whatever.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I have no clue what this thread is about. Is it about a tv show or something?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

No, I knew it all along it was loosely built up, but surprised how many liberties they took while doing it.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

I thought the character Ragnar in history was based on Ivan the boneless ? Didn't he play a big role in uniting Scandinavians and the invasion of England ?

Ragnar was not based on Ivar the Bonless. Ivar was supposedly one of Ragnar Lodbrok's sons in the Viking saga's and poems, but it's not 100% certainty that Ragnar even existed.

Ivar did however play a big role in the invasion of England, but according to the saga's it was in revenge for the alleged killing of his father Ragnar by the King of Northumbria.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

Ulf Jarl and his son Sweyn II of Denmark ( Ulfsson ) are historical characters as is Knud IV "den hellige", To Ulf Jarl, Ragnar´s lineage is more or less based on sagas. There were an article in examiner stating that Ragnar was real person but TV serie took parts to his charachter from other vikings of his era to make Ragnar Lodbrok to appear more interesting.
examiner

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Oh most definitly. They took a large hodge podge of factual Viking history and mushed it together to make the show.

I don't know a whole lot of the history but when I first started watching Vikings, it took me a few episodes to seperate what I do know from the show and just enjoy it. I had to drop the "wait no's" and the "WTF's" and the "THIS IS BS's" and just watch it as something new...lol

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yeah, the show isn't 100% accurate, but I enjoy it nonetheless. Really looking forward to its fifth season

top topics

join