It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Really Happened to Free-Speech!?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

www.cracked.com...
As much as the words "freedom of speech" and "first amendment" get thrown around on the Internet, the concept itself never gets talked about. In fact, I can't remember the last time anyone brought up free speech because they actually wanted to talk about free speech -- seems like people bring it up only when they want to scream some #ty thing as loud as they can and don't want anyone to get mad. I'm going to talk mainly about the Confederate Flag debate here, but I'm increasingly worried that this applies to every discussion involving free speech for as long as I've been alive.

On Thursday, TouchArcade broke the story that Apple was banning some (all?) games in their iTunes library that depict the Confederate Flag. Though the story completely forgot to mention the nine deaths that inspired Apple to make this call, it got picked up by Forbes, Ars Technica, TechCrunch, TechForbesnica, Forbes ArsniCrunch, Kotaku, and the general Internet hype machine, and the reaction many people

edit on 27-6-2015 by Entreri06 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-6-2015 by Entreri06 because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Quoting External Sources - Please Review This Link
"post NO MORE THAN 15% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least)"
edit on Sat Jun 27 2015 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Jun 27 2015 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

www.cracked.com...

Here is the source of the article on cracked.com

www.cracked.com...

Thought it totally blew up the "free speech" and argument when dealing with such issues as the confederate flag and other hate-speech.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This is a very twisted look at the topic of Free Speech, but it is from 'Cracked' so I assume it is tongue-in-cheek to begin with and I won't take it seriously.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Everybody is for free speech. As long as it doesnt have anything to do with them....

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Well, let's be clear that Civil War video games aren't history textbooks; they're entertainment, and entertainment rewrites history constantly.

More like "wipes it".

Some people spend all their time gaming to their detriment. At the end of the day, its less than fulfilling and more distracting from the real world.

Mind numbing at least.

I know, my generation invented them.

The length of play was determined by how many quarters I had.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
it is still here.

ive always felt like freedom of speech exists as long as you dont say anything

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
People want to be able to say what they want, and than when someone comments back, or they get called out on it they say it's an attack on their "Free Speech"

if someone calls me a slur or offends me, and i call them a bigot, or say their remarks are bigoted no ones free speech has been erased, you are free to say it, and i am free to call you out on it

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
"Free" speech is only for those that agree with the ones in charge, didn't you know?

Any company going all anti-Confederate can kiss my money goodbye.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
At least ATS still allows the Confederate flag, all members that support freedom of speech should change their avatar to the Confederate flag.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Free speech is still kickin'. It's the people who don't get it's a two-way street when they open their mouth & get some heat in return that miss the point of free speech. In their world, only they can have opinions. Anyone who disagrees with their POV is just a boogeyman out to git their freedomz.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanZombie
At least ATS still allows the Confederate flag, all members that support freedom of speech should change their avatar to the Confederate flag.

Obviously you didn't read the article... You do realize we agree no to do all kind of stuff for society. We don't walk around naked, have sex in public, drop f bombs, exc, exc, exc.

So it's funny that you would pick the confederate flag out of all the other self censorship we use daily. Almost like stuff that effects African Americans is the one thing that shouldn't be offensive.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanZombie

so full of it...people CAN disagree with your stance and be for free speech

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   

What Really Happened to Free-Speech? It got suppressed and repressed by free speech laws that had free speech sounding names so as to keep the sheeple slumbering but were designed and written in a way to achieve the exact opposite.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I think that it is comical that the result of the crusade to remove the Confederate flag is increased sales of Confederate flags.
Kind of like when new gun control legislation is debated in Congress.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I think that it is comical that the result of the crusade to remove the Confederate flag is increased sales of Confederate flags.
Kind of like when new gun control legislation is debated in Congress.

Yup, try and ban the swastika and all the nazis show there true colors. I guess it's iron clad proof that a large part of the country are a bunch of crazy racists...

top topics

join