It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book - 'The Martian' by Andy Weir = WOW!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
So,

lets start by saying I do not work for any publishing company or have any other link to this book......

Secondly..... Wow, just wow.

if this little gem hasn't come across your path, your in for a real treat,

I got told of this book by my brother in law, and bought the audio book to listen on my long and boring drive to work, I found myself sitting in the car parked up in the work car park struggling to pull myself away, if you (like me) is a bit of a space freak and love anything to do with space exploration, this is the book for you,

what is even more interesting is Andy Weir wrote this story with no advice from NASA, he is a self confessed nerd

This story had me hooked, and was happy to find out that a movie is being made of this story, and looking at the trailer it has stayed very close to the original story (Yay!)

The Martian Trailer:

This is when Andy Weir met Adam Savage on Tested, who is a huge fan of the book

I cant post a YouTube video with the full 10 hour audio book here (something to do with T&C's) but i'm sure anyone really interested could follow the breadcrumbs

I don't want to ruin this for anyone and don't want to post too much, but the trailer (above), will wet your appetite!

So, my fellow ATS members, who has read it? who is halfway in? who is looking for a good read?
edit on 27/6/15 by Phatdamage because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/6/15 by Phatdamage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'm searching for the bread crumbs

Thanks for the heads up

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing the this to our attention.

I was just on Netflix this morning looking for a good intelligent scifi movie and all I could find were the old evil alien cliche more akin to the horror genre.

We definitely need more movies of this kind to hopefully spark young people's imaginations for the future of space.

I'll check out the book in the meantime!

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The Martian has been a hot property in book group circles.

I have a copy and have read it. I was disappointed to see they cast Matt Damon in the title role.

It is a pretty entertaining read. My husband couldn't even put it down.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Phatdamage

I've Never read it but people speak of it highly.

Speaking of screen adaptations apparently Dan Simmons' Hyperion is getting a screen adaptation as well, but I don't know how that will work, It's a great (Hugo award winning) novel but I don't see how it could translate to screen.

edit on 27-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Thanks for the bread crumbs.

I look forward to listening on a road trip I have next week.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
An awesome read. Highly recommend.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Thank you. Always appreciative of a good book reference.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Of course, my husband just saw the trailer and has lost interest because he swears they've taken liberties with the story already.

Trust a man with a highly anal retentive mind to get upset about that.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Lol,

How can you judge a film before you've seen the film, the trailer looks good

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phatdamage

Lol,

How can you judge a film before you've seen the film, the trailer looks good

Trust me. We are talking about a man you cannot even watch an illusionist performance with because he will pick everything apart instead of enjoying it for what it is. He simply has no faith in the script to deliver what he loves best about the book - the nerdy bits. He thinks they will have to angstify it in order to make it palatable to modern audiences, which mean removing the bits that really made the book so interesting and fun. And in general I do tend to agree - the book is almost always better than the movie.

That and we neither one have much faith in Matt Damon to carry the movie. You either need an actor who can submerge self and make you forget who it is for two hours, or someone who is likeable enough that you want to watch them for two hours. We don't think Matt Damon is that actor for us.
edit on 28-6-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Followed the bead crumbs

Splendid

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This book was a snore.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The movie was as boring as the book.

new topics