It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today I...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
...spent my only day off playing a board game about which I couldn't care less, all so my friend who loves it could have a good time.

We all have good deeds that go unnoticed and beneficent intentions that remain hidden. But if brought to light, those same decisions could motivate others to start performing similar acts of worth.

Let's get this snowball rolling and turn it into an avalanche of kindness.

So out with it, ATS'ers. What did you do today (or recently) to put a smile on the face of those around you? What acts have you committed to help improve our little blue world?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Trachel

Does making a declaration of 'good deeds' you have done cancel the deed itself?

There have been a few of these threads recently about declaring the 'good' you do.

If you don't declare your good deed is it somehow less meaningful?

I was raised to just do it and not bring attention to it.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

My best mate has a broken kneecap, and so for the last three weeks or so, I have been periodically going over to her place, doing the washing up, taking out the bins, making her dinner, and generally bustling around ensuring that the things she currently finds either difficult or impossible, are done. The first week, I purchased £30 worth of shopping without requesting payment.

I do these things because she is as family to me, and I would no more ask my sister to pay me back for such a thing, than do a jazz tap recital on the surface of the sun. We look out for one another. It is the way of things with us, my little circle of friends. We hold each others feet out of the fire, quench one another's thirsts, and feed one another's hungers.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Imlike your thread with all the doom and gloom around here it is nice to have a pleasant thing to talk about . S&F's Your first paragraph struck me immediately ...........

...spent my only day off playing a board game about which I couldn't care less, all so my friend who loves it could have a good time.

I had not even realized that this was a good deed. I do things all the time because someone else wants to and I enjoy seeing people happy.

I'm sure most ATS members do the same. So in hindsight I would suppose that a huge number of good deeds go unthought of by the good-natured person committing them .

edit on 27-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I propose an alternative.

What nice thing done for you, would you like to express gratitude.

My partner got up this morning first thing, and cleaned the kitchen spotless, and ran the dishwasher,

So we could have breakfast together! I love her.

Thanks honey.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Wetpaint72

Great idea.

My son brought me coffee in bed today, and my wife fed my elderly father for me. Said belated fathers day present.

So I could browse ATS and sip coffee.

Priceless

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Even the most selfless act is steeped in selfishness, when we do something for others to make them feel good we are really doing it for ourselves to feel good and when we draw attention to it by outwardly portraying that selfless act we remove the kindness involved. If I do something good for someone regardless of how I feel about what it was I did and it goes without reward then that is a truly selfless act.

I do many things daily without others knowledge and without cause for reward because they need to be done whether I receive gratification, calling attention to them only nullifies the reason. Now, if someone else sees it and chooses to bring attention to it that is different.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

What game did you play?
Today I helped my friend move some stuff. She just had a baby not long ago and isn't supposed to lift stuff. The day has just begun so I'm sure I'll be doing some random nice thing before it ends. That, there's always the possibility that I'll make somebody laugh. I'm good at that, I guess.
ETA: I possibly helped another member avoid trouble due to a spelling error. Some words, if spelled incorrectly, can make words that could be considered as offensive. I don't know if that counts.
edit on 27-6-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I've done stuff today, as most days. Not all the time though to be honest. I'm just a man. Sometimes I can be an a-hole if i'm completely honest.
Usually little simple things that are done without even realising you are doing them. Sometimes it's bigger things that take a lot of time and energy but the feeling you get is the payment.

Christmas time is my time when I do random acts to complete strangers who are picked usually at random. Sometimes purposely though.
All without them knowing who is behind it. (As much as I can help it)

I'm not going to discuss what though, I don't do it so I can say, ''I'm so great, I did this today, i'm such a good person'' lol
(just to clarify, that isn't directed at anyone in particular)
edit on 27/6/2015 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Does making a declaration of 'good deeds' you have done cancel the deed itself?

There have been a few of these threads recently about declaring the 'good' you do.

If you don't declare your good deed is it somehow less meaningful?

I was raised to just do it and not bring attention to it.

I think so. The whole point of 'doing good' is to do it because (intent) it's the right thing to do (and I include shutting up when I want to 'tell somebody something') and not for self-promotion or acclaim.

Only you need to know, the 'universe' knows too.

Telling the world how bitch'in you are is arrogant and self-centered.
edit on 27-6-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
a reply to: Wetpaint72

Great idea.

My son brought me coffee in bed today, and my wife fed my elderly father for me. Said belated fathers day present.

So I could browse ATS and sip coffee.

Priceless

Much better.... my cat woke me up this moring when I overslept.

edit on 27-6-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
today i watched a church burn down.

i mean it.

i was on my way to wal mart and the baptist church down the road maybe a mile was on fire, burning to the ground.
the roof caved in....it was pretty bad.

after i watched for a bit, i went to wal mart

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
All I can say is I hope my bones help an archeologist get to be famous, in a few thousands, even hundreds of thousands of years from now. Regardless of the archeologist' specie...

That being said, I kinda agree that a good deed told seems lessened, unless told by a third party.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I actually believe this too, but I'll gladly cancel out the brownie points I get if reading about my deeds might inspire someone else to do something nice during their day.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Played the board game Axis and Allies, amongst others. Just got home from doing so!

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Didn't make the thread to brag about myself. Made the thread so people could read something nice and hopefully get inspired to do something nice themselves.

Sorry it came across the wrong way.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Thanks for the kind words--that's another good deed of itself.

With some people believing I made the thread to brag about myself (lol?), it's good to see someone got the real point: sometimes it's pleasant to have something nice to read, and if it inspires people to do good things, even effing better.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I never played that one. I ought to look it up. If you like survival horror board games there's one called Zombicide. It looks cool. It's kind of expensive though. Also, if you like pen and paper role playing games I did a thread on one called Biosyndrome. It's free. I'm working on a game board for it at the moment. I'm waiting for the glue to dry so I can do more work.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

And now you can write "today I helped a stranger online discover awesome new games."

Thanks for the suggestions

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I placed one of our bunnies in the arms of an elderly woman who has some mental issues. She smiled and hugged and kissed our little bunny and just held it and rocked it for a while.

She then handed it back and cried a little and said, "Thank you."

'caue that's how bunnies roll, amirite?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join