It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost $200 Million Donated to Representatives to Pass TPA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
A few of us mentioned that the bribes get bigger when you hold out a bit.

www.opednews.com...

Almost $200 Million Donated to Representatives to Pass TPA
By Paola Casale

Many think our government is for sale. However, by taking a look at the facts below provided by the Open Secrets, it is easy to understand where they are coming from. Looking back at Friday the 12th, the House voted on Trade Promotion Authority (TPA), the controversial bill that gives power to the executive branch to negotiate treaties. TPA limit's Congress' ability to better a trade deal by subjecting members of Congress to 90 days of reviewing the trade agreement, prohibiting any amendments on the implementing legislation, and giving them an up or down vote. TPA passed with a mere 219-211 vote with only 218 needed to pass. The real shocker comes from the amount of money each Representative received for a yes vote. In total, $197,869,145 was given to Representatives for a yes vote where as $23,065,231 was given in opposition.

John Boehner (R-OH) received $5.3 million for a "yea" vote and was the highest paid legislator.
Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) received $2.4 million for his "yea" vote.
Paul Ryan (R-WI) received $2.4 million for a "yea" vote and came in at the third highest paid legislator.
Pat Tiberi (R-OH) follows Paul Ryan, coming in the fourth spot having received $1.6 million for his "yea" vote.

The fifth highest paid legislator is somewhat of a "hero" in comparison to others. Representative Steny Hoyer (D-MD) received $1.6 million for a yes vote and only $282,710 for a no vote. Despite of his high contribution from those in favor of TPA, he still voted a solid nay.

We also have other hero stories.

Joe Crowley (D-NY) received 1.3 million for a "yea" vote and only $72,550 for a "nay" vote and he still voted against TPA.
Patrick Murphy (D-FL) received 1.1 million for a "yea" vote and only $213,360 for a "nay" vote and still voted against it.
Richard Neal D(MA) received $1.1 million for a "yea" vote and a mere $47,625 for a "nay" vote and still voted against it.

Democrats are not the only heroes in this voting session. GOP members spoke very loud and clear.

Mick Mulvaney (R-SC) received $541,746 for a "yea" vote and no money at all for a "nay" vote and he still voted "nay!"
Andy Harris (R-MD) received $254,803 for a "yea" vote and no money at all for a "nay" vote and he still voted "nay".
Thomas Massie (R-KY) received $250,328 for a "yea" vote and no money at all for a "nay" vote and he still voted "nay."
Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) received $180,832 for a "yea" vote and no money at all for a "nay vote" and she still voted "nay."

Where did this kind of money come from? Those in favor of TPA were Security Brokers and Investment Companies who donated a whopping $11.3 million dollars for a "yea" vote. Or big banking companies who donated $10.1 million dollars. In other words, Wall Street hashed out millions and millions of dollars to push for the passage of TPA.

Those numbers are absolutely staggering. Corporations are taking control of what policies are approved or blocked in the U.S. We cannot sit around while corporations decide what is "good" for America or not! This is a democracy, not a plutocracy! Contact your representatives and let them know that you do not want them to vote in favor of TPA!

Paola Casale is a graduate of Otterbein University. She works for Economy In Crisis as a journalist who loves to dig up the truth. Paola meets with members of Congress in D.C. to discuss international trade agreements and how to aim towards fair trade instead of free trade. If that isn't stressful enough, Paola is currently engaged and putting together a wedding that is in 4 months!

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

They leave us with one option.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I thought we had Militias in the USA.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

We have people who want to boost their ego and act tough but when it comes to action Americans are apathetic.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

They lack funding.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Just like every other vote in Congress, it was written and bought by special interests.

Yay!
Not.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Wall Street is evil. They produce trillions of dollars out of thin air and live like kings, raising the cost of living for everyone else and buying the government.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Too bad there's apparently no incentive to even monitor these donations, it's a free for all. Money also bought the TPP fast track: more here

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Too bad there's apparently no incentive to even monitor these donations, it's a free for all. Money also bought the TPP fast track: more here

Ermm - it was the TPA or Trade Promotion Authority that actually passed allowing FAST TRACK on any and all "Trade" pacts for the next six years, I think.

This is very convoluted with an abundance of moving parts - a shell game shall we say - our best defense is to keep our eye on the roster and that ball currently in play.

Best luck to us all

About the donations - see the supreme court and their 'decisions' on corporate personhood and money=speech.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The USA is the best Government money can buy.

It's the most corrupt Government on the face of the planet, and has been bought out at every level by special interests.

The Supreme Court calls it "lobbying" and says it's okay. In almost every other country, they call it political corruption and in many countries politicians that do this are executed.

In the United States, it's the normal way of doing business.

Go to Cuba or China and try US style lobbying with ANY politician. Likely you'll wind up in jail and they'll wind up standing against a wall with a rifle pointed at them.
edit on 27-6-2015 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

Most of them are completely useless and toothless.

Most people who love the second amendment hate the fact that it was designed for militias rather than private citizens, and this fact is conveniently ignored by the NRA.

Americans not only have the ability, but have the LEGAL RIGHT to overthrow their Government. They are one of the few countries where this is ingrained into their Bill of Rights, but it's not likely that anyone will ever do it.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
We desperately need term limits.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gully

Yes and no,

Term limits means they steal faster and line up Lobbyist positions and consulting jobs faster. That is all that would change I think.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Yes, let us all get fearful of the coming Hobbit invasion. Damn those New Zealanders and their desire to open trade with their neighboring countries. I am still waiting for anyone to share with me why a trade deal with countries like Mexico, Japan and Australia is the end of America. Aren't all those countries our allies anyway?

edit on 27-6-2015 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I hope that the American voters are taking notice of how their elected representatives are representing them. IMO, this is atypical of dodgy thieving lying POS politicians lining their own pockets at the expense of the taxpayer and at the expense of freedoms and is further proof that the US government decides all policies in the interests of benefits to corporations and #### average Joe the voter - he don't mean ship.

This is also a representation of lobbynomics at it's finest.

"Donated" - LOL.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: Gully

Yes and no,

Term limits means they steal faster and line up Lobbyist positions and consulting jobs faster. That is all that would change I think.

I'm sure that would happen in some cases.

I would love to see people wake up and vote out people like Boehner, McConnell, Pelosi, McCain, etc..., but I just don't see it happening...seems people don't care.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I wish I understood more about how trade agreements like this one work technically. All I’ve ever heard about trade agreements on this scale is how the U.S. gets screwed and our jobs are sent overseas. I know the unions and most democrats are united against it, while republicans and big business are all for it. That in itself should tell me something.

No matter what you think of Obama, though, for the last 6 years it seems to me he’s worked very hard to save the middle class. He saved the auto industry and brought this country back from the brink of financial ruin. No doubt about it, things are much better today than when he first entered office. I don’t wanna get into that, though, cause I could easily make a list of accomplishments a mile long. What I don’t understand is, after all of that effort it makes no sense at all to me that he would do an about face and suddenly side with big business over his own party and the middle class he worked so hard to revive. To my knowledge, Obama is very much in favor of this trade deal. When I heard him speak about it, he seemed genuinely convinced that it was going to be a great boon for this country. Maybe he knows something that most of his party and the unions don’t. That doesn’t seem likely, though. More likely, he pocketed a big wad for his support. I hate to think that, because I've always liked him, but I’m not a complete idiot. Maybe a little slow at times...

All I do know is, our country is being devoured by the corporate structure we’ve created. We were sold out lock, stock and barrell before we even had a chance to hang out the Yard Sale signs. The founders of this nation are probably rolling over in their graves about now. The revolution they fought and the ideals they died for it turns out may have just been a temporary aberration of a few naive and delusional minds. Democracy never stood a chance. The evil corporations they so distrusted and vowed to keep in check have now grown into gargantuan behemoths and have returned for their ill-gotten booty. I hate to think it, but it may be that our founders won the battle and we lost the war. Bummer...

Anyway, I ramble. But this does have me very confused. I guess I’ll have to get off my lazy butt and read up on it. It seems like a BIG issue, and I don’t even know who to fly the flag for. Maybe I’ve officially just become another dumb slave for the Mighty Corporate Master. In that case, I guess I’ll just shutup and be shufflin on...

Peace

PS: Let’s hope Thorneblood has it right, and the axiety is all over nothing...

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Donated, LMAO...so that's how they coin bribes now a days. And this should come as a surprise to no one, it just further solidifies what we already knew; Congress literary doesn't care what you think.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Why should they get paid for a vote either way? They are getting paid to do a job and that should be the end of it. They are getting paid to look out for OUR best interests and and aren't even coming close to that job. That bribe money should be taken away from them and used for the good of the people.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Hey look over there! Confederate Flag! Gay Marriage!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join