It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
this is great news.
bout damn time.

so is it safe to assume that insurance companies will extend benefits to the policy holders partner?
lets hope so

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Greathouse

a reply to: Greathouse

I'm confused as to what this has to do with Islam at all... This country isn't under Sharia Law and it isn't illegal to draw a picture of Mohammad.

I'm not nearly as confused about Islam as I am about the conflicting rationalizations of protest movements .

If someone want to do anything purposefully that is deemed offensive against Islam ( drawl a picture ) it is protested by people throughout this country . And it is vilified by being called offensive to Muslims !

Perhaps you'd like to point out where it is written that the pro-gay rights crowd is EXACTLY the same as the anti-Islamophobia crowd.

Yet a minority chooses to do something purposeful against Muslim beliefs ( Homosexual marriage ) And it is good because it wins political correctness's and favor ?

I'm sorry this is a double standard !!!

It's not a double standard. You just don't understand that people can defend a group of people from being ridiculed and not implicitly support the actions of that religion.

It's not that I disapprove of gay marriage it is that I disapprove of the idealistic protesters/ mainstream media and government officials that sponsor such a hypocritical thoughts in the selection of which of our rights are right and wrong .

I blame your lack of understanding of the issues at hand.

If you look at my first two comparisons they seem to have absolutely nothing to do with the rights ? The only concern I see on these two issues is" what is the political correct choice" ?

Let's see... One issue was JUST ruled on by the Supreme Court and the other issue is some random SJW issue about Islam that has NOTHING to do with the government. Yeah TOTALLY comparable situations...

I don't even have to cut this up to match your reply it only takes one response .

Freedoms are called freedoms for a reason . When you start selectively enforcing those freedoms they lose all meaning .

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Has anybody argued for a "more than 2 people" marriage?

Like 3 people marrying for example.

Maybe the 14th applies to that situation as well.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
ACK! I hate to see this glorious celebration of freedom get turned into a religious argument when it has NOTHING to do with religion! Must we pit "religion vs the gays" yet again? Can't we just celebrate the fact that love, tolerance and EQUAL treatment under secular law have triumphed - without coloring it with the negative, vile and hateful arguments of people who don't want to uphold equality?

Can't we just ignore the poo-pooing for one day in lieu of celebration? Please?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

It just happened, a victory just occurred, while it would be nice to take the higher ground, after some of the bigotry that has been leveraged at gays, and the huge struggle to get here, do you honestly expect anything other than "Suck it bigots, we won, equality!!! Whooooo!!!!" from the side who's fought their ass off for this?

It's day one. Plus we're talking about so many people that the concept everyone will take the high road is just a silly pipe dream.

Also, someone comes in threatening gods wrath when everyone is celebrating this, do you really expect no reaction?

+3 more 
link   

Forgive them? Did they apologize or something?

link   

I'm confused as to what this has to do with Islam at all... This country isn't under Sharia Law and it isn't illegal to draw a picture of Mohammad.

I'm not nearly as confused about Islam as I am about the conflicting rationalizations of protest movements .

If someone want to do anything purposefully that is deemed offensive against Islam ( drawl a picture ) it is protested by people throughout this country . And it is vilified by being called offensive to Muslims !

Perhaps you'd like to point out where it is written that the pro-gay rights crowd is EXACTLY the same as the anti-Islamophobia crowd.

Yet a minority chooses to do something purposeful against Muslim beliefs ( Homosexual marriage ) And it is good because it wins political correctness's and favor ?

I'm sorry this is a double standard !!!

It's not a double standard. You just don't understand that people can defend a group of people from being ridiculed and not implicitly support the actions of that religion.

It's not that I disapprove of gay marriage it is that I disapprove of the idealistic protesters/ mainstream media and government officials that sponsor such a hypocritical thoughts in the selection of which of our rights are right and wrong .

I blame your lack of understanding of the issues at hand.

If you look at my first two comparisons they seem to have absolutely nothing to do with the rights ? The only concern I see on these two issues is" what is the political correct choice" ?

Let's see... One issue was JUST ruled on by the Supreme Court and the other issue is some random SJW issue about Islam that has NOTHING to do with the government. Yeah TOTALLY comparable situations...

I don't even have to cut this up to match your reply it only takes one response .

Freedoms are called freedoms for a reason . When you start selectively enforcing those freedoms they lose all meaning .

Which freedoms are being selectively enforced exactly? Your islam example has nothing to do with the government, no one's freedom is being infringed there. You are just talking out your ass because you are bitter about this Supreme Court decision.

link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Considering the only practical ( or impractical) application of marriage, outside of the religious ones, is the tax scheme placed on you by the government, I can't see why anybody, gay or straight would want to be married in the first place.

Legal institutions should be avoided at all costs IMO. But they do allow 3 parents on a birth certificate in California I believe, so who knows what the future might hold.

~Tenth
edit on 6/26/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Gays and lesbians who have fallen in love and want to marry haven't fallen in love with a person of the same sex in order to purposefully challenge Muslims or Christians or anyone else.

This SCOTUS decision isn't a statement against religion it's a statement for the separation of church and state.

Do you think whether they acted purposely or not would matter to a jihadist . Mark my words this will be thrown up by them as another example of depravity in the west .

So on top of shooting people for drawling Mohammed and throwing people off skyscrapers that are homosexuals .

One side of protest should be looked upon favorably over another side as basic as freedom of speech ?

link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
ACK! I hate to see this glorious celebration of freedom get turned into a religious argument when it has NOTHING to do with religion! Must we pit "religion vs the gays" yet again? Can't we just celebrate the fact that love, tolerance and EQUAL treatment under secular law have triumphed - without coloring it with the negative, vile and hateful arguments of people who don't want to uphold equality?

Can't we just ignore the poo-pooing for one day in lieu of celebration? Please?

unfortunately we cant.
as long as the cancer that is religion is around

link   
So let's get this straight. Roberts upheld the ACA saying that it was not the job of the court to contradict the votes of the people in one case but then overturns laws voted for by the people in this case?

link   

originally posted by: Mugly
so is it safe to assume that insurance companies will extend benefits to the policy holders partner?
lets hope so

Marriage equality is marriage equality, with ALL the state and federal benefits afforded to straight married couples! That's why the "separate but equal" civil union arguments were worthless. This is the real thing!

link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: Seamrog

Ah yes. I must have missed the commandment that said "Don't diddle your same sex flatmate."

God, in his infinite wisdom and never-ending lifespan, ruling over the endless expanses of the cosmos, nay, the MULTIVERSE of cosmos, really cares where you put your thingy.

Yep.

Well, actually, that God fella did:

Punishments for Sin

The Lord said to Moses, ...

...(11 other verses)...

13 “‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Not that I subscribe to the crazy nonsense about killing people for the myriad of crap listed in Leviticus, Chapter 20, but it is in there (no pun intended). In fact, he seems very preoccupied with where I can or cannot put my thingy. Click the link...some creepy stuff. It even addresses having sex with a woman while on her period--both people shall be shunned.

That crazy Bible, I tell ya...
Yeah... I just figure if it's so important to him, why wouldn't God have put an 11th commandment in there? Or added "Gross Gay Stuff" as the 8th deadly sin?

I don't see people crying out that America will burn in eternal damnation because people work on Sundays.
I just think if it was that important to him, he'd have included it somewhere more important than a casual conversation between him and Moses.

"Oh, shoot! I forgot. Kill gay people. Man, I knew I should have wrote that down. My Bad, Big Money Moses. We cool?" And then they exchange fistbumps.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You ask for too much. It was only a matter of time before the bitter losers sulked in and started slapping us around with bible verses, hyperbole, and damnation.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Forgive them? Did they apologize or something?

Nope, though I don't think Jesus waited for an apology before he forgave.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

No one tried to use the government to stop people from drawing anything. It literally just stopped being illegal in several states for gay people to get married.

link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

It just happened, a victory just occurred, while it would be nice to take the higher ground, after some of the bigotry that has been leveraged at gays, and the huge struggle to get here, do you honestly expect anything other than "Suck it bigots, we won, equality!!! Whooooo!!!!" from the side who's fought their ass off for this?

It's day one. Plus we're talking about so many people that the concept everyone will take the high road is just a silly pipe dream.

Also, someone comes in threatening gods wrath when everyone is celebrating this, do you really expect no reaction?

Maybe I'm asking for too much.

Mea Culpa.

Enjoy your celebration.

link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Mugly
lets hope so

Marriage equality is marriage equality, with ALL the state and federal benefits afforded to straight married couples! That's why the "separate but equal" civil union arguments were worthless. This is the real thing!

thats awesome.
im a happily married hetero male but i am very happy right now.
i wanted to see this in my lifetime.

this was one of my biggest civil/social issues.

now if the green stuff can be afforded the same legality as this, well, lets just say that would be awesome as well

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

a reply to: xuenchen

So gay marriage is now legal in this country . I thought homosexuals were offensive to radical Islam ? Let me get this straight I'm just trying to keep up .

Exercising your rights to draw a picture of Mohammed is called bad, baiting and offensive ?

But a minority exercising their right to gay marriage even though offensive to Islam. Is good ?

I really don't understand the rationality of protesters sometimes ? To me it appears the deck is stacked .

When did Islam become the dominate religion in America? Oh yeah I forgot all those states where Sharia has taken over will not stand for this will they.

Even though every post has been about rights somehow you feel the need to distort the statement into sharia law ?

I guess it makes perfect sense to you .

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
So let's get this straight. Roberts upheld the ACA saying that it was not the job of the court to contradict the votes of the people in one case but then overturns laws voted for by the people in this case?

I think he used the 14th Amendment to strengthen his case in this.

As for ACA?

Supremo-care"

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join