It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I'm Offended That Everyone Is Offended By Something": Vet's Epic Post On Political Correctness

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Most would be offended with barracks life... Half the size of a studio apartment and a roommate to boot (usaf).

Also you really think our pay isn't adjusted downward because of the countries worst hmo.

I'm offended that you think the fed eats those costs..

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
political correctness doesn`t create utopia it creates anarchy,if politicians are so smart why haven`t they figured this out yet.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: irishhaf

It's free, I didn't say it was lavish.

Also once you get the go ahead to go and live off base, you get paid extra to cover that added expense.

And you pay for that stuff sure, all while making a decent living for what you have to pay for, well if you live within your means that is.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I did live within my means, and it was just enough for a single guy to live on and have some disposable cash. 97-2001, once I became a flyer things improved.

If you had a non working wife and or kids it was a struggle to make ends meet.

But either way it's not free if your take home pay is adjusted down to account for it.

That's why I laugh at people saying military should abolish the health care benefits. .. That happens you have 2 choices drastically increase pay... Or welcome back the draft.

Also bah and bas in theory covered rent and food for the month, but theory doesn't always meet fact.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Im not very impressed by this "rant". Whats that bit about being racist for believing in free market capitalism..???

I see perhaps two good points in this. I guess whe i red the title...i expected more.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Oh so he believes in capitalism and the free market? You know instances where certain large corporations got gov't bailouts and if we truly abided by such philosophies they would have gone under? That's the problem with people like the OP they live in a delusional world, have you ever wondered why a person feels offended by something rather than just wondering why everything offends everyone? Two very different questions.

I am offended by transphobic comments and ideals. Why? Because I am transgender and people's insensitivity makes me feel less than human, and I have a valid right to feel this because many states still do not see me as being worthy of Human Rights. So there you go in fact the OP's comments only make light of real struggles people have.

So you don't want to be offensive to everyone? Maybe look inward?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: irishhaf

If you were married they pay you more... and you have services all over to help out those in need.

You are also on a salary, so to compare that to a hourly wage is not the same thing.

At the end of the day a e-1 makes just as much if not more per paycheck then a fast food worker while having much morr offered to them.

I have never heard of poeple saying they should abolish the heath care of service members.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

I have a handful of politicians have brought up the possibility of putting military people on the exchange, and abolishing tricare to save money.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Eh, I've always found these sanctimonious rants to be either:

1 highly exaggerated:
ONE person whines about being offended by something, and 3 million facebook users begin posting memes about the absurdity of this "offended group"

Or

2 not understand the concept
The white privilege argument is a perfect example. Before I bothered to actually read what was being cited, I always ignored the "white privilege argument" as something my white liberal friends who had too much time on their hands had dreamed up. But there is some merit to the argument. It does not mean that "white people never have to work hard." It simply describes an underlining disadvantage towards blacks which in effect, tends to benefit whites. Sure, we can get itno affirmative action and all that, but the point is, the "WP" group has a point.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I think that about sums up life anymore.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
Can I just say that I would like to pay more taxes if it went directly to soldiers pockets.

The rest of the budget can do its a thing but I would like to pay a guaranteed percent of tax direct to soldiers pay and returning soldiers care.

They deserve it.
Do you mean to say that you would like other people to pay more money on your behalf if it went directly to soldiers pockets? I have little doubt if you really wanted to give your own money and put it into soldiers pockets, there are at least five charities designed to do just that. Not to mention, nothing is stopping you from doing this your self. Please let me know how your donation (or lack thereof) goes.

I am offended that people have ME donate to their causes by threat of jail through the IRS tax extortion process, but are not willing to step up and do something them self. There is a big difference between groveling at the feet of corrupt politicians and doing the job right by doing it your self. But again, let me know what you are going to do now.
edit on 27-6-2015 by wayforward because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phallacy

No they don't.

It goes back to the idea that someone made a promise about 40 acres and a mule, and because that never materialized, those black people have decided they are permanently disadvantaged and can never make up for that. The matter comes up occasionally with the subject of reparations and a new "adjusted for inflation" figure that all whites are supposed to pay for all blacks, but they forget that we are all pretty much related now. So are we all supposed to pay ourselves?

They are no more or no less underprivileged or disadvantaged than any immigrant from a poor nation, and somehow those immigrants manage to overcome.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

For once I can agree with a federal government employee on something. The idea of PC is that you shove motivations down someone's throat, label them something that may or may not be true, and then call them a bad guy as if they are not even a human being.

If someone thinks being gay is a sin, its because they are bigoted, and they are a bad person. It couldn't be that they simply believe the Bible says things that are true? And it couldn't be that this person who believes being gay is a sin is going to avoid throwing the first stone at them as their religion instructs them to do? And it couldn't be that this Christian is going to love the gay person as instructed by the Bible of their faith? So yes, I'm offended that other people are offended about gayness being considered a counterproductive (or counter-reproductive) behavior.

If someone thinks the confederate flag is good, its because they are racist, and they are a bad person. It couldn't be that they value independence? It couldn't be that they value the sacrifices of their relatives made for independence? It couldn't be that the confederate flag symbolizes the south and that they like the way it is in the south? So yes, I'm offended that other people are offended by the Confederate flag.

Its up to a person flying a flag to decide what it stands for. Nobody has a right to force motivations on people, and nobody has a right to assume any motivation. If you want to know a motivation, you have to ask. If you want to know whether someone has something against gays more than just believing their behavior is against their philosophy, then you have to ask.

I'm hardly ever offended by anything. I've been on internet forums much too long to waste my energy being bothered by what other people say against me. But none the less, I am still offended when people shove motivations on me as if they know me better than I know myself.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: wayforward

If someone thinks being gay is a sin, its because they are bigoted, and they are a bad person.
Sometimes, no doubt. But even if they are really nice, it's no business of theirs if gay couples want to wed.

Its up to a person flying a flag to decide what it stands for.

Who's stopping them?

edit on 6/27/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I think the dude gives military veterans a bad name. Whiner.

edit on 27-6-2015 by ChiefD because: Awkward wording corrected

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'm offended by people dumb enough to join the military after such an obvious immoral war declared on Iraq. You want to "liberate" people start with yourself. Liberate your mind.

I'm offended by 80% of the neo-privilege theorists who lack common sense. There are millions of white people struggling just to survive. Most of these PT theorists are in fact privileged upper middle class professors who have had easy lives, handed down to them from their parents.

I'm offended by flag waving Americans with a troop fetish who complain about "welfare queens" when the military needlessly costs this nation trillions. How many wars will you people tolerate? Go join up yourselves. Shoot some Iraqi in the face. Get a medal. It's the "free market" way.

I'm offended that endless war is acceptable but actual "universal healthcare" is the big satan.

I'm offended by "free market" advocates who don't know squat about economics or more precisely how capitalism actually works.

I'm offended by the MSM which still, even with the Internet, seems to be churning out a nation of dullards who regurgitate meaningless talking points in line with the corporate agenda- like "support our troops".

I support "the troops" to get a living wage job out of high school or college. If there's some sort of drastic change and the USA actually fights just wars then more power to you, join the military but what we have now is a private army bombing, killing and maiming in the name of profits.

I'm offended by right wing and left wing idiocy. Social conservatism is a cancer. The so called cure (privilege theory) is an absurd reaction to the even more absurd realities of racism/sexism/homophobia.

This nations people live in a state of extreme political fragmentation and that's exactly what the corporate aristocracy wants. A nation of bickering fools. It has been this way my entire life. It isn't going to change anytime soon and hence nothing will change. The wars will continue, the wealth divide will expand. Debt slavery will expand. Wages will remain stagnant.

100 years from now Goldman Sachs will replace the flag with their logo. And that's what we deserve, for being such idiots.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's how I saw it too until I actually read the material my WP friends kept suggesting I read like "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack." It's about the everyday experience (and its compounding effects) of being a skin color that's generally treated as an underclass (albeit often unintentionally). Quick except:

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.
3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.
4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.
9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Phallacy
They are no more or no less underprivileged or disadvantaged than any immigrant from a poor nation, and somehow those immigrants manage to overcome.

And this is simply false. I've never known a white person to avoid walking into a restaurant for fear of disproportionate number of Asians. There is a definite perception difference, and it bleeds into the black experience (or so the argument goes at least. As I am not black I won't pretend to be able to answer that for them).

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phallacy
a reply to: ketsuko

That's how I saw it too until I actually read the material my WP friends kept suggesting I read like "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack." It's about the everyday experience (and its compounding effects) of being a skin color that's generally treated as an underclass (albeit often unintentionally). Quick except:

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.
3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.
4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.
9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

Bollocks. Privilege theory is bollocks. You know not what you defend.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join