It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarettes, Lobbying, and Lacing. Is Tobacco Bad for You?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Go out and buy a bag of pipe tobacco locally grown, roll a few cigarettes. Smoke a Marlboro five minutes after you smoke your rolled. There's a HUGE difference.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

MAO Inhibitors certainly aren't in my e-cigarettes because I make the liquid myself,as do many others.

Many cigarettes also contain licquorice which is in itself addictive,making it practically impossible to give up.

Unless you switch to e-cigs.The good ones.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
About those monoamine oxidase inhibitors: they do as the OP claims, at least in rats:

Monoamine Oxidase Inhibition Dramatically Increases the Motivation to Self-Administer Nicotine in Rats

We report that inhibition of MAO dramatically and specifically increases the motivation to self-administer nicotine in rats. These effects were more prominent in rats selected for high responsiveness to novelty than in rats with low responsiveness to novelty. The results suggest that the inhibition of MAO activity by compounds present in tobacco smoke may combine with nicotine to produce the intense reinforcing properties of cigarette smoking that lead to addiction.

However, MAOs are not tobacco additives. They're actually in the tobacco, and commercially available loose-leaf tobacco contains more of them than does the tobacco in factory-made cigarettes.

Monoamine oxidase inhibitory activity in tobacco smoke varies with tobacco type

The roll-your-own tobaccos tested delivered more tar and more MAO inhibitory activity per mg of nicotine than the factory-made cigarettes. These findings suggest that smokers of roll-your-own tobacco may experience greater difficulty in stopping smoking.

Tobacco is a noxious, enslaving weed.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Niccorette inhaler. Seriously it worked for me.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

MAOIs make me feel sick.. Too much of something in me. Some chemicals natural but too much in me.
It makes sense I would stay away, or start feeling like cigarettes make me sick, or too much something..

I wonder about, people on anti depressants having MAOIs and having other brain chemistry that would be affected by the MAOI.. I wonder if they could get too much of somethingthey don't need, even besides the drug they are taking.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Good thread.

I'm currently trying to quit smoking, I've changed over to an e-cig.

Still bloody addictive though, like more use than the cigs I used to smoke.....

Any thoughts Op?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: EA006

get a girl who hates smoking.. One who will let you smoke and not get mad about it, but won't kiss you if you smell like smoke..

Hahaha..

Worked for me.

Also I would just keep cigs all over.. Don't just quit.. You'll cave and buy another pack. Same as my alcohol use.. Get good at using small amounts. and let yourself still use large amounts too. Don't beat yourself up. It's so cool when you drink 4 beers and have 2 cigs after work, and then make dinner, and watch a movie with your girl.. And that's it.. After awhile cigs start tasting like smoke, when you can taste and smell again. LOL

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

Good thread.

I'm currently trying to quit smoking, I've changed over to an e-cig.

Still bloody addictive though, like more use than the cigs I used to smoke.....

Any thoughts Op?

I hesitated to say too much about e-cigs, but concentrated huffing concentrated nicotine is not going to be good.

The best technique I've found for resetting brain chemistry is water fasting; by not eating, and only drinking water, the energy (blood flow) normally used for digestion can be allocated to repair abnormalities and readjust your body to a healthy homeostasis, especially in the brain. If you can fight a couple days without food, cigs, or anything (except water), it will dwindle the craving because your receptors will be expressed at a healthy level. The receptors in your brain are severely downregulated (desensitized) when you have been administering a drug consistently, but this is not permanent, and it is a very dynamic process: A water fast will help the process.

originally posted by: Astyanax

However, MAOs are not tobacco additives. They're actually in the tobacco, and commercially available loose-leaf tobacco contains more of them than does the tobacco in factory-made cigarettes.

Monoamine oxidase inhibitory activity in tobacco smoke varies with tobacco type

Tobacco is a noxious, enslaving weed.

They were testing cigarette and pouch brands, not plain tobacco leaf. I've tried to find an experiment that involves just regular, unadulterated tobacco but I cannot find it. The Banisteriopsis vine used in the ayahuasca brew contains natural MAO-Inhibitors which is what prevents the '___' from getting metabolized, so I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility that tobacco could have natural MAO-I as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mr Headshot
This is something I've said for a while. I use pipe tobacco, local bought. I enjoy it, I don't fiend or have real urges. It relaxes me, and tastes/smells nice. Oh, and no rat poison.

Isn't it funny that all the BS. cant alter the fact that pipe smokers live longer than non smokers. and the oldest living people on earth are smokers. Which shows just how manipulated the general population has become. A testable lie has been accepted as a scientific fact. How many more of these untruths do we unquestionably accept as fact?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Bottom line is, yes, tobacco is bad for you.

Tobacco is also bad for the American worker. Did you know that the Tobacco industry is allowed to employ child laborers as young as 8 for up to 14 hours a day for about $50 a week.

Meanwhile, the average American is concerned about making sure the chickens that lay their eggs are free range, but no one discusses the CHILDREN who LEGALLY pick their tobacco, or the treatment of the average illegal immigrant who picks their vegetables, all in deplorable conditions that most people would be horrified about if they knew it was happening.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies

Tobacco is also bad for the American worker. Did you know that the Tobacco industry is allowed to employ child laborers as young as 8 for up to 14 hours a day for about $50 a week.

Meanwhile, the average American is concerned about making sure the chickens that lay their eggs are free range, but no one discusses the CHILDREN who LEGALLY pick their tobacco, or the treatment of the average illegal immigrant who picks their vegetables, all in deplorable conditions that most people would be horrified about if they knew it was happening.

Ok so their would be no jobs, if you don't work you starve. Their are some pretty stark choices out there. Most of the places that used to grow Baccy down south are now chicken farms, Where its more profitable to grow the chicken in the dark. Tobacco as an industry might be on its last legs, although I doubt it. But what are we going to do with the created poverty caused by no jobs, when it hits its final demise. They just are not inventing jobs any more.Its not an easy one.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: EA006

The actual nicotine is quickly excreted in about twelve hours. from then on its a psychological habit. If you can get through a day without, that's the hard yards, stay busy is the trick. But don't compensate by eating, because that's worse than smoking, your brain is seeking rewards, to make life seem worth living.

I walk through the streets of my local town, and they are all fat now , looking at smokers as if they were lepers. A good proportion are on diabetic medication, that's what has happened since the push to stop smoking. So has the general health improved since the smoking bans? if you believe that then you will believe anything.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies

They don't usually pick the tobacco. They usually plant it. This is why most schools have summer vacations so farmers kids can still help them during planting times.

For tobacco they usually lie on a contraption behind a tractor that has a conveyor with the young plants. They lie face down about a foot above the ground and plop the plant into the trough after the plow.

It's a much easier job for a smaller person, although it's probably more automated now.

Since the Gov started paying farmers to not grow tobacco there are very few fields around here like there used to be, so you never see it at all anymore.

About the plant uptakes, do a search for radioactive tobacco. There seems some evidence that the plant has a mechanism or even a propensity for some radioactive elements. How it brings such heavy elements out of the ground, I have no idea.

The theory goes something like, the radioactive smoke keeps the cancer at bay until you quit. The only people in my extended family who got lung cancer did so after quitting. Of those only 1 succumbed to it, although he was playing golf a week before chemo, and 3 months later was gone.

I'm not up on the botany enough to say either way, but it is interesting.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

MAOIs make me feel sick.

They are a kind of poison, deadly if ingested in quantity.

Just like nicotine, in fact.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

I've tried to find an experiment that involves just regular, unadulterated tobacco but I cannot find it... I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility that tobacco could have natural MAO-I as well.

Yet in your opening post you said this:

Cigarette companies put MAO-Inhibitors in their cigarettes

Were you making this statement up, or were you referring to the MAO inhibitors already present in tobacco?

Even nature's spirit cigarettes, which claim to have 100% additive free tobacco, still (this is speculation, because this information is well hidden) likely contains these addictive additives in the lacing of the cigarette. So they can legally say 100% additive free tobacco, yet still have chemicals in the lacing. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky....

Obviously, you meant MAO inhibitors added to the cigarettes, not the ones already present in tobacco.

Turns out your thread is based on a libellous speculation.

edit on 27/6/15 by Astyanax because: of lies and confabulations.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Smoking pretty much anything repetitively and over a long period of time will be bad for you.
End of.
There's no debate on that.
Just how bad "bad" is though, is subjective...especially when your head is in the sand...

Irrespective of the "toxins" inhaled the lungs will be irritated by the particulate matter in ANY smoke and that will inevitably lead to a reduction in lung capacity if repeated for long enough.
It's a studied and defined chronic process.

Source?
Me being a cardio-respiratory physiologist for several decades.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Cigarette companies put MAO-Inhibitors in their cigarettes

Were you making this statement up, or were you referring to the MAO inhibitors already present in tobacco?

The article you presented did not affirm that MAO-I exist naturally in tobacco, they were testing brand-name post-production cigarettes, so it could have been added in the manufacturing process. I did not even consider the possibility that they exist naturally in tobacco, good call
. But, you are also jumping to conclusions if you think that article you gave me proves they are naturally occurring in the tobacco.

Even nature's spirit cigarettes, which claim to have 100% additive free tobacco, still (this is speculation, because this information is well hidden) likely contains these addictive additives in the lacing of the cigarette. So they can legally say 100% additive free tobacco, yet still have chemicals in the lacing. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky....

Astyanax: "Turns out your thread is based on a libellous speculation."

Look, I always appreciate your strong urge to challenge ideas that are presented. This is good, and I am in no way being sarcastic. But, the way you go about it has an unpleasant tone, you would be a much more effective interlocutor if you relaxed with the aggression. Not that I care the manner in which you respond to me, but I am just letting you know.

note the part I bolded in the quote above. I said it was speculation... This is also why in the end of my post I said cigarette additives should be listed on the cigarette packaging. Until then, like I said, it is speculation, this information isn't easy to find.
edit on 27-6-2015 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pardon?

Smoking pretty much anything repetitively and over a long period of time will be bad for you.
End of.
There's no debate on that.
Just how bad "bad" is though, is subjective...especially when your head is in the sand...

Irrespective of the "toxins" inhaled the lungs will be irritated by the particulate matter in ANY smoke and that will inevitably lead to a reduction in lung capacity if repeated for long enough.
It's a studied and defined chronic process.

Source?
Me being a cardio-respiratory physiologist for several decades.

The filter allows larger drags to be taken as well. Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, smoking plain tobacco is rough and you can't really take deep inhales. The filter allows you to take larger inhales without choking.

Meticulously engineered death stix

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

You are also jumping to conclusions if you think that article you gave me proves they are naturally occurring in the tobacco.

You stated unequivocally that MAO inhibitors are deliberately added to cigarettes.

This is a libellous speculation -- until you show us proof that they are so added.

And did you miss the part where it shows that loose-leaf tobacco has more MAO inhibitors in it than cigarette tobacco?

Look, I always appreciate your strong urge to challenge ideas that are presented. This is good, and I am in no way being sarcastic. But, the way you go about it has an unpleasant tone, you would be a much more effective interlocutor if you relaxed with the aggression.

Then be a fair, honest and truthful contributor to Above Top Secret.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

You are also jumping to conclusions if you think that article you gave me proves they are naturally occurring in the tobacco.

You stated unequivocally that MAO inhibitors are deliberately added to cigarettes.

This is a libellous speculation -- until you show us proof that they are so added.

List of cigarette additives that are known MAO-Inhibitors:

Acetophenone
-("Monoamine oxidase inhibitory and anticonvulsant properties of some newer thiosemicarbazones" (1978) Tripathi et al.) and ("Selective and potent monoamine oxidase type B inhibitors: substituted semicarbazones and acylhydrazones of aromatic aldehydes and ketones" (1995) Bernard et al.)

Benzophenone
("Three new benzophenone glycosides with MAO-A inhibitory activity from Hypericum thasium Griseb" (2012) Demirkiran)

Thiazole
("Synthesis and selective human monoamine oxidase b inhibition of heterocyclic hybrids based on hydrazine and thiazole scaffolds" (2013). Carradori et al.)

Farnesol
("Isolation and characterization of a monoamine oxidase B selective inhibitor from tobacco smoke")

^^^despite the misleading title of this source, cigarette smoke was used, not pure tobacco leaf. Farnesol, along with acetophenone, Thiazole and benzophenone, are additives to tobacco products that are known MAO-Inhibitors. I could likely find more, but the list of tobacco additives is enormous and I think these 4 will suffice for now.

<< 1    3 >>

join