It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I take down my flag will you pull up your pants?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
Well, S&F because that was awesome!

As for the flag, people need to shut it already. It's a part of history, and isn't about racism at all. More about state's rights and a smaller government than anything else, but, hey, let's all go along with the power-mad, big government globalists, and call it "racist"!

Regarding the pants, I agree that it looks like a loaded diaper is in there. As for the origin, yes, it did start in prisons, and then moved to the gangs for easy concealment. Snopes isn't a valid site, because they are very politically motivated, and I have personally seen lies posted there. We aren't talking just a bad fit from hand=me-downs, either, but a deliberate wearing of pants several sizes too big, and hanging out underwear. It's frankly disgusting. A bad fit is different from deliberate choice.

Why should we "shut it already" about the Confederate flag? We can speak on whatever topics we want & the 1st Amendment applies to people like me too.

Also, I'm guessing you haven't actually read the Constitution for the Confederate States of America. Well here it is. Now search the document for "slave". It contains 10 references to slaves, guarantees the institution of slavery, regulates slave ownership, & even protects the domestic slave trade from anyone who would import slaves to compete with them.

Also, go read the Articles of Secession from each State that seceded, particularly South Carolina. And read about the Fire-Eaters, the racist pro-slavery politicians & businessmen who were the major force behind the secessionist movement in the first place (including the guy who designed the flag we're talking about). Oh yeah, and that stars & bars flag is actually one of the battle flags. As in, the flag they used to rally their troops when fighting & killing Americans. Screw that flag.

And one more thing, if the Confederacy would've won, most of my family lines would still be slaves to this day. Maybe that doesn't seem racist to you, but it's repulsive, racist, & bigoted to me. I'll never respect that flag or the CSA.

ADDED IN EDIT: For the record, I don't actually have a problem with you. Many of your posts are actually quite good. But I guess we'll disagree sharply on the CSA issue. Also, why didn't you call out the people with "plumber's crack" like I pointed out in an earlier post? That's sagging too but "anti-sagging" people always seem to condone that one.
edit on 27-6-2015 by enlightenedservant because: added stuff for clarification. i blame obama & putin

edit on 27-6-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
Why should we "shut it already" about the Confederate flag? We can speak on whatever topics we want & the 1st Amendment applies to people like me too.

I fond speech against the confederate flag to be offensive, so you can't have it. See how that works?? It's a part os history, so get over it and move on, already.

Also, I'm guessing you haven't actually read the Constitution for the Confederate States of America. Well here it is. Now search the document for "slave". It contains 10 references to slaves, guarantees the institution of slavery, regulates slave ownership, & even protects the domestic slave trade from anyone who would import slaves to compete with them.

Of course I have read it. Southern girl here! Slavery was not a product of the South, and pretending it was is foolish, and shows an appalling lack of historical knowledge. Protecting the livelihood of slave owners was simply part of life at the time. The institution was already on the ay out, too, and was not the primary goal of Lincoln.

Also, go read the Articles of Secession from each State that seceded, particularly South Carolina. And read about the Fire-Eaters, the racist pro-slavery politicians & businessmen who were the major force behind the secessionist movement in the first place (including the guy who designed the flag we're talking about). Oh yeah, and that stars & bars flag is actually one of the battle flags. As in, the flag they used to rally their troops when fighting & killing Americans. Screw that flag.

The people in the Confederacy were Americans, so stuff that nonsense already. They were Americans who dared to stand against big government, and had every legal right to do so. They banded together as was their right, to be a nation that respected the rights of the States, as the nation should have done. United STATES of America, not United Overblown Federal Government of America. I a not the one that needs to do some reading.

And one more thing, if the Confederacy would've won, most of my family lines would still be slaves to this day. Maybe that doesn't seem racist to you, but it's repulsive, racist, & bigoted to me. I'll never respect that flag or the CSA.

Slavery isn't a racial issue. Slaves were sold by other blacks, first off, and there have been, and still are, slaves in all colors, around the world. And, no, they wouldn't be, because slavery was becoming obsolete, and unpopular. The South simply stated they had the right to make their own decisions, and they did. The North had slaves during the War, that were not freed by the Emancipation Proclamation.

ADDED IN EDIT: For the record, I don't actually have a problem with you. Many of your posts are actually quite good. But I guess we'll disagree sharply on the CSA issue. Also, why didn't you call out the people with "plumber's crack" like I pointed out in an earlier post? That's sagging too but "anti-sagging" people always seem to condone that one.

I get that, and apologies if I sound a bit heated, but this stuff really gets under my skin. Don't take it personally. And believe me, I do call them out on that. I have a very low tolerance for someone's bootie sticking out in public. Always have. ANYONE that does it, I tend to comment on, preferably so they can hear, and be ashamed. I have been known to make "loaded diaper" comments in public places. Plumbers, I'd simply tell to pull them up, or I'd hire someone else. Plumbers tend to annoy me, anyway. Typically nasty chauvinistic types, that blame any and all clogs on "sanitary napkins".

The confederate issue is so different from how its taught these days. I had relative growing up who told stories their grandparents shared, such as one remembering a Union soldier chasing a chicken around in their yard. I have ancestors that fought on both sides, and a couple did own slaves. However, most everyone you could talk to when I was a kid, about the War, would tell you it was about the rights of the states to decide, and that most really didn't want the slavery. Most people I knew rowing up didn't care what color someone was, either, and I still remember adults sitting around talking about the riots elsewhere, and wondering what was wrong with all those people. Black and white neighbors, in that case. First time we saw any racial issues was after the "busing" started, and that was against the white kids (myself among them), by the kids whose schools we were forced to attend. The schools we'd been in were pretty mixed, too. Crazy days, those! I learned then that race wasn't an issue till someone started pushing for it to be one. When the schools were shuffled to "make them equal", people reacted. The schools were not unequal, either, and the one we were sent to was as good as the one we left, and the teachers came with us, so all that changed was location, and resentment. Tennessee, for the record.

The race stuff is madness. As kids, we really didn't care. The only time I think race ever came up, in conversations with kids in the neighborhood, was one girl and I discussing how our hair was different, and she wanted to try and corn row mine. Wasn't easy, but she tried! We all got along, though, and the moms watched the kids for one another when they had errands. My maid of honor was a friend who happened to be black. s in, really DARK, too. Her daughter came to a church event for kids with mine one evening and when someone asked my glow-in-the-dark pale, blond-haired, blue-eyed kid who her friend was, she said Oh, that's my cousin, (her name)". The look was priceless. But it was practically true. I considered her mom a sister. Really miss that friend. She disappeared some years back. Planned to move, and had phone company issues, so it was never in her name. She planned to call us when settled, and no one ever heard from her again. No internet back then, either, so either she just dropped out of touch, or something happened.

Anyway, appreciate the responses, and yes, it's a heated issue. I get that. Focusing on historical symbols sn't going to help, though, and might actually stir up serious trouble with a lot of people.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

A load of something! If they knew how they really looked, I wonder how many would keep that "style". Maybe we should all look for pics of babies in old-school cloth diapers, in need of changing, and post them side-by-side.
So tempting. Parents used to have one of me like that, but no idea whatever happened to it. Hated that pic, lol!

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

This thread needs some theme music for Southern pride . I haven't seen it posted yet so I feel the need to post a disclaimer .

Warning!!!!! Extreme southern pride displayed in this video along with displays of the offensive rebel flag and with graphic language But somehow race was not mentioned once ?

Remember if you pick on one of us you pick on the whole trailer court !

edit on 27-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

This thread needs some theme music for Southern pride . I haven't seen it posted yet so I feel the need to post a disclaimer .

Warning!!!!! Extreme southern pride displayed in this video along with displays of the offensive rebel flag and with graphic language But somehow race was not mentioned once ?

Remember if you pick on one of us you pick on the whole trailer court !

"Southern pride" equals trailer court in your mind? Sorry, no. I have a Southern heritage, and family members who were respected members of their communities, business owners, and so forth. Race was never the issue for most Southerners.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Come on what happened to your sense of humor from the last time we spoke ?

The best part about that video is our ability to make fun of ourselves. That puts Southern pride above and beond everyone else .

I take pride in that myself. I didn't mean to offend you I thought you would enjoy that video. Maybe everybody else has you a little riled up but remember I am on your side .

Edit; by the way let me tell you what I think of you !!!!

I actually respect your opinion so much I removed the video .

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

It's been a long day. No worries. I am a bit riled at some of the idiocy I have seen on the topic to day. You didn't need to remove it, but thanks. Very gentlemanly of you. Rare, that, these days!

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Believe me I feel your pain . This topic has been particularly aggravating to me also. That is why I've chosen the tactic of looking upon it humorously . Because if not I would probably end up crying and a ranting over the complete ignorance of the actual events surrounding the Civil War .

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
Allegedly, the fashion statement came from the 1980's US prison system. It was worn by prison "Bitches" as sign of ownership by another inmate!

Urban legend says its worn now in Prison to show your availability to other inmates but in fact is now worn this way by gangs opposing authority in prisons and the streets.

But it's origins are homosexual in nature and if these kidz knew that, I think it would sort the issue over night.

a lie created people who dislike sagging.

poor kids used to sag because they wore hand me downs, or their parents bought clothes big enough for them to grow into. When it appeared in the media people thought it was cool and they started doing it intentionally.

Remember when Nirvana came out and the price of flannel shirts sky rocketed? similar mentality.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

A load of something! If they knew how they really looked, I wonder how many would keep that "style". Maybe we should all look for pics of babies in old-school cloth diapers, in need of changing, and post them side-by-side.
So tempting. Parents used to have one of me like that, but no idea whatever happened to it. Hated that pic, lol!

Yeah...I think we all had one of those pictures hanging around. But then we grew up, matured, got jobs and decided that looking like you crapped yourself wasn't such a good look. And they say we are all the same.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Yeah...I think we all had one of those pictures hanging around. But then we grew up, matured, got jobs and decided that looking like you crapped yourself wasn't such a good look. And they say we are all the same.

If we were all the same, the world would be a really boring place! And, yeah, it's unreal to me that some think that looks good, or cool, or whatever it is they think.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
Allegedly, the fashion statement came from the 1980's US prison system. It was worn by prison "Bitches" as sign of ownership by another inmate!
Urban legend says its worn now in Prison to show your availability to other inmates but in fact is now worn this way by gangs opposing authority in prisons and the streets.
But it's origins are homosexual in nature and if these kidz knew that, I think it would sort the issue over night.

Ah, and not the fact that jail suits are all the same size, oversize???
A gay would let run his "bitches" in skinny jeans, and not in baggy clothes.
I live in Europe, and everyone now is running around in skinnyjeans(all those freakin hipsters), and every man is looking like a gay, but only a little few really are.
edit on 29 6 2015 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Ya know what skinny people call "skinny jeans?"

JEANS!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join