It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Pulls Civil War Games From App Store Over Confederate Flag

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Here we go folks, we are going to erase history!

Huffpoo link

Gaming website Touch Arcade reported Thursday that games featuring depictions of the Confederate flag have been removed from the App Store.

A simple online search suggests that's true. An iTunes entry for "Ultimate General: Gettysburg," a Civil War-themed game, still appears in Google search, but the app is gone altogether when you pull it up in iTunes...

This is really a weird time to live in the US.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
pathetic

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar

How is that erasing history?.
I had no idea about the flag really until recently and If private companies wish to get rid of a flag which is associated to racism good for them.
They will not erase the history of the south ffs.

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

A game based on the civil war is being pulled because of a flag. How about we say "hiding history" or "hiding from history".

ffs look at Apple's labor practices in China and the suicide nets they had to install at Foxconn! Do you think Apple cares about humans? And then we buy the products produced by modern slavery.

The self-righteous attitudes and behavior is exhausting.

Are we going to pull all the WW2 games that have Nazi imagery?

When do we start burning books?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Wait-Apple has a moral compass now?

"I won't allow the confederate flag, but I will allow the Dickensian Chinese factories to pump out our products that exploit minimum wage laws while we make billions in quarterly profits."

Keep fighting the good fight Apple, you deserved it *shudder*

edit on 25-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Places have banned the Nazi flag in games like in Germany. They wanted to ban it so they did.
But I have not seen anyone wanting to ban it just remove it from the goods they want to sell.
To be honest I don't understand why anyone would want to have a flag of the losing side which stood for slavery.

Again they are not banning it from history and you are just hyperbolling, some have chosen just not to use imagery which is associated with racism.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I had no idea about the flag really until recently and If private companies wish to get rid of a flag which is associated to racism good for them.

It is closing ones eyes and wishing away the past. We are no longer man enough as a country to stand up to our faults, acknowledge them, and move forward with the resolve to not repeat them. Instead we must apologize up the ying yang, bow to the self appointed keepers of our collective conscious, and allow ourselves to be shamed at every corner. It is no longer a society that asks the question, "Was I offended?" That no longer matters. Instead it is, "Do I have the right to be offended?" And now this nonsense will spread into areas we DO NOT WANT TO GO TO. Books will be banned. Games will be banned. Clothing will be banned.

Wait until this stuff spreads to the details of WWI and WWII. You want to talk about atrocities? Some of the best books describing the horrors of the Nazi's...."Inside the Third Reich" for example has a big ol' swastika on its cover. I guess they will have to remove that one from the library in every public funded school in America. Anything having to do with religion....every religion has its skeletons folks. Christianity, LDS, Islam, Catholicism, the Jewish faith, you name it. But by and large 99% of the members of those religions are outstanding citizens of whatever country they call home. LDS has a very dubious background (The Mountain Meadows Massacre) yet every single Mormon I know is a fine person.

All of this banning of anything having to do with the confederacy in the Civil War assumes we did not learn anything from the events of the past. That is insulting to me as a human being frankly. You can apply that logic to just about any controversial event in history. Look at the Union Army in the Civil War. General Custer, a northern Civil War hero went on to slaughter thouands of American Indians. Therefore it would follow that the Union Army is just as guilty as the army led by Robert E Lee. Anything with U.S.Army on it .....must by default honor the effort to extinguish American Indians and must go.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
wow.. unbelievable.
Why not remove the USA flag next. According to the middle east the USA kills people everyday.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Do you REALLY believe Apple cares about humanity?

We have a large Jewish population in the US, almost 7 million. Should we ban Nazi war games here?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

No and I can see the hypocrisy but it is a free market and their choice.
But no one is banning it or erasing it from history.
Tell me do you look at the confederate flag and think of history, I wonder why it was brought back in the 60's because before hand no one bothered about it.
People just don't want symbols associated with racism on their products.
But all this hyperbole is as bad as the hyperbole we see about guns.
"There gonna take our guns" is now
"There gonna take our flags".

When no one has done nothing of the sort.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Lol... you guys have no idea.. There have been bans here on flying our national flag here in case it "offends"
which is ridiculous especially in tines like the world cup etc.
The way i see it.. if your offended by a national flag of the country you have decided to live in.. then f off back home.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
Lol... you guys have no idea.. There have been bans here on flying our national flag here in case it "offends"
which is ridiculous especially in tines like the world cup etc.
The way i see it.. if your offended by a national flag of the country you have decided to live in.. then f off back home.

Amen to that brother!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I completely missed your thread when I created one on the same topic.

This was absolutely a crap move on Apple's part. This is a long shot, but I really hope that Steam doesn't follow suit and do the same thing. This has the potential to lead to a horrible precedent... where any game can be censored because someone finds it offensive.
edit on 6/25/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
What about games where I get to choose to play the Axis forces in ww2?

You know... NAZIS!!!

What if it allows you to be Stalin? That one is okay? Haha Selective Morals.
edit on 25-6-2015 by Lysergic because: sentence strucka is for suckas

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

This is in no way a hyperbole UK boymonkey74.

A couple days ago it was removing it from Government buildings (I'm fine with that, no reason for it to be there and it was voted upon) and within a few days it's gone from retailers to video games. Why do you believe it will end there and why would you think it will only be the Battle Flag of the Confederate Army? It's only been a few days and it's picking up steam.

When playing a history based game, I appreciate realistic representation. When learning about history, I appreciate visiting places and seeing true artifacts or representations of the time period.

George freaking Washington had slaves. Should we wreck the monuments dedicated to him? We cannot look at history through modern eyes and stand in judgement, especially when we gladly prop up a modern form of slavery today as consumers.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Places have banned the Nazi flag in games like in Germany. They wanted to ban it so they did.
But I have not seen anyone wanting to ban it just remove it from the goods they want to sell.
To be honest I don't understand why anyone would want to have a flag of the losing side which stood for slavery.

Again they are not banning it from history and you are just hyperbolling, some have chosen just not to use imagery which is associated with racism.

Thats flag is white - ban it. I feel superior to all other races every time i see a white flag

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Anybody remember the game for the....Amiga 500.....North vs. South?

Just while we were on the subject.....good game....very old.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Let me get this straight: Apple rejected an app with the Obama "Hope" image because it "ridicules public figures," but approved GhettoTweets, a Twitter app that turns every tweet into "gangsta slang....making you about as hip as any bling-blingin rapper."

gizmodo.com...

Selective morals.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

We are erasing the Civil War because it's associated with the flag. That is erasing history. Imagine deciding all things WWII must now be erased because the Jews didn't like seeing the Swastika that is associated with it.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
With the amount of complete and utter IDIOCY coming from both the USA and Canadian Gov that are apparent 1st world countries, the $%^t hitting the fan every were. Churches being targeted, flags being banned by the Gov. The amount of LEO's killing innocent people and the general amount of civil unrest taking place...
If i didnt know better i would say this is the end of times

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join