It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK bans teaching of creationism in any school that receives public funding

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein
I think there is only 1 thing retarded in your comment and I don't think you quite recognise what it is.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
www.rawstory.com...

My faith (heh) in humanity was partially restored today after reading the above, reason and logic has overcome superstition and myth and we can now rest assured that our children won't be indoctrinated with such nonsense, even if it is only on this small rock.

Now it's up to the US to follow suit....

I find your last sentence to be wrong--I think creationism and intelligent design do have a place in schools, but only either in high-school elective classes, or secondary learning as optional classes. Just because there's not science that backs it up doesn't mean that the government should tell schools what they can and cannot teach at those levels, but I do feel that they should be able to say it's not a part of mandatory learning.

This, of course, is based on the understanding that this UK legislation extends into secondary education.

I'm having a hard time right now, because we're trying to find a good private school to which we can send our son, but most around here seem to be religious-based and teach creationism as part of the curriculum (or at least discuss it as if it were fact). But, at the same time, I think public schools are dumbing down our children, and homeschooling has proven to be quite the burden on my wife.

So, our options are (1) stress my wife into oblivion, (2) let him get dumbed down overall at a public school, or (3) have to negate things he's learning (and that I'm paying for) and undermine his confidence in his teachers by correcting the things he may be taught that are not scientifically founded.

It's like a game of rock-paper-scissors, where nothing beats the other :/

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369
I don't have a problem with it.
I think this regulation went through without any fuss because "creationism" was never a big issue in UK education anyway.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
a reply to: Sremmos80

Why can't the theory of evolution be added to give kids multiple ideas to learn from and make up their own mind?

For the same reason we don't teach children that the Earth is flat and let them "make up their own mind". One idea is grounded in evidence, the other is laughably stupid.

You can't remove creationism and add the theory of evolution because it is more "scientific"...

Yeah we can, and we just did.

evolution needs a start, if you don't have creationism you can't have evolution...But I know I am wrong in all of your eyes because I believe in God....So I will just stop because I will repeat myself another 30 times before doing the same thing later....

Bollocks. Not only is this certifiably BS, but even if it were true, which sill creation myth would we choose? The one that you personally happen to believe? How selfish and narrow minded of you.

Personally, I say we teach them the Greek creation myth instead.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

originally posted by: ChrisfishensteinYeah high quality teaching kids the THEORY of evolution is more "scientific" than creationism....

You could do with a little science education yourself if you don't understand the difference between the layman and scientific definitions of the word 'theory' nor see how evolution is actually grounded in a mountain of scientific evidence.

Yep, mountain of evidence....That's why it is still a theory and not "the way"....Because of all the scientific evidence proving this theory correct....Man you guys just don't understand....

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Yes with that fundamentally incorrect view of how things came to be, I can see why you don't want to believe it.

And the other side of that coin is that god created us and we lived with dinosaurs something like 10000 years ago.
ven though science that has nothing to do with evolution just blows that out of the water.

He also created this vast, vast universe with billions upon billions of stars and planets but really only cares about one.

Makes sense.

Here is some relaxing tunes.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Hold on dude I think you do a bit of a disservice to public schools.
I bet many here from the UK are from the public school system and had a darn fine education.
It is about instilling in your child the ethic to learn.

link   

No you are right...No creationism right.....So here is evolution...

Nothing...

Nothing....

Poof, planets, sun, everything in perfect alignment somehow...

POOF, something forms from nothing on a rock called earth...

POOF, that nothing turned into a little something somehow...

That something evoled into an intelligent human being...

My lord, how retarded this sounds compared to creationism is just absolutely astounding when saying it out loud....

aaaaaand this is a perfect example of how a lack of science education leads to ignorance and magical thinking.

link   
a reply to: GetHyped

How selfish and narrow minded of you.

You call me believing in God laughably stupid and you say this? Thanks

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Yep magic....How your theory of evolution produced everything in perfect harmony without a creator....exactly

link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
We have many government funded faith schools in the UK who would prioritise creationism over science to reinforce the faith of the school. Contradictory teachings would promote a negative perception in these faith based communities

link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: Prezbo369I think creationism and intelligent design do have a place in schools, but only either in high-school elective classes, or secondary learning as optional classes.

Which creation myths would we teach? There are literally hundreds of them.

link   

No you don't understand what scientific theory is....
How many times dude do we have to explain the basics? but you keep bleating on "it's called a theory".

link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Just because there's not science that backs it up doesn't mean that the government should tell schools what they can and cannot teach at those levels, but I do feel that they should be able to say it's not a part of mandatory learning.

Save me the slippery slope argument, but when it comes to schools with public funding, yes I think they can.

And would both not be part of the mandatory learning or just creationism?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

He also created this vast, vast universe with billions upon billions of stars and planets but really only cares about one.

And you know this how, exactly?

Because you and I are here.....There is a reason the universe is so vast, we just don't understand the meaning of that yet.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

How selfish and narrow minded of you.

You call me believing in God laughably stupid and you say this? Thanks

Your belief in ancient creation myths is on par with believing in a flat earth, which is laughably stupid.

I take it reading comprehension is not your strong suit?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Yep magic....How your theory of evolution produced everything in perfect harmony without a creator....exactly

Who said everything is in perfect harmony?

Only those that want to try and show a creator.

Why did God make other planets that are not habitable?
What is so perfect about that...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

At least Evolution rewrites it's history as new discoveries emerge.

We now have evidence that dinosaurs were not just lizards, we can look at hip bones and fossil records and we are now learning that some species were more bird like in appearance.

On the other hand the Bible has not changed or adapted in thousands of years-it's the same old stories over and over and over and it is the same old book of the same allegories, metaphors and protagonists.

edit on 25-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Nope not secular. Non denominational. You probably think seperation of church and state exists somewhere in some founding documents. It does not.

How about the first line of the declaration of independence. I don't need a cite, I know it by heart, how about you.

I could cite sources for this all day. You just want me to be wrong. I'm not, but you will win, and the one ideal that can stand up to the human cattle farm we are becoming will lose.

In my state, I can dismiss any judge or juror which does not believe in a God. Does not matter what God, but there must be something that a person recognizes, to hold them accountable to themselves.

And I live in one of the most secular states.

I don't mind losing, I will, I'm not going to fight, you have a right to be corporate cattle if you like. I won't stop telling the truth though. I have to tell my truth, I have a God that holds me accountable. Otherwise how could I be trusted not to just rule in my own petty self interest.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

No you don't understand what scientific theory is....
How many times dude do we have to explain the basics? but you keep bleating on "it's called a theory".

Stop it! You keep attacking me when I say science and a theory....I understand the 2 are linked....I am saying science as in PROOF of anything....Evolution is not....Just because it is a "theory" doesn't mean there is scientific proof of anything...I don't really care, one of us will find out the truth soon enough, good luck

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join