It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Gone with the Wind’ should go the way of the Confederate flag

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Yup, last I checked Michigan has the largest neo nazi members in the country.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Clearly they wish to change the history by banning anything they can that will tell the story. This would be funny if there wasn't so many people who will find this a good idea. I find this frightening, very much so. What is next? Books, will they come into our homes to take them?

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

The Confederate flag isn't banned. You are still 100% allowed to fly and display that flag. The controversy is around a flag flying at a state building and as well as various retail companies deciding to remove the product from their merchandise list (something that should be exploitable to a crafty businessman because clearly the market for these things is going to explode). It would help if you'd actually understand the discussion you are talking about.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: seeker1963

Uh not exactly the same thing buddy. Racism TOTALLY still exists in large swathes in the South.

OK, this is something that needs to stop right about now. Racism exists EVERY-DAMN-WHERE. Don't for one second try to bull # me into thinking this is strictly a southern issue. That dog won't hunt.

Actually I agree. Racism DOES exist everywhere. I'm not even denying that fact, but it is something that has become kind of cultural in the south.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

Why stop there...

How about "The Song of Music" and that
racist song "Edelweiss"

The German word “edelweiss” means
“noble and always white.”

Ban that racist movie !!!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It's a liberal witch hunt.
Let's all pretend people talked modern Political Correct speak in the historical past.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Soooo many slippery slope fallacies to ride...

Soooo little time.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
It's a liberal witch hunt.
Let's all pretend people talked modern Political Correct speak in the historical past.

"Frankly my dear, I want to empower your womynhood by enabling you to be on your own in an independent fashion."
edit on 25-6-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Some people use the confederate flag the way others use the swastika.

I can't see how this applies to movies and books and stories or the study of history.

The swastika has a long and wonderful history but how do we see it today?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: seeker1963

Uh not exactly the same thing buddy. Racism TOTALLY still exists in large swathes in the South. That fact is undeniable. Everyone in the South may not be racist, but you would be lying to yourself if you claimed that it wasn't still a problem (at least under the surface). Quoting one person's opinion about a piece of art doesn't mean that "they are coming to steal your movies"

It also TOTALLY exists in the rest of the world too, *cough*Europe*cough*.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Point out where I said that it didn't exist in Europe. Is your pointing out that we can find intolerable racists in Europe supposed to make me feel better that there are intolerable racists in the South? Why do people keep pointing these things out like I don't know them already? How are they even relevant? Looks like a distraction meant to distract from the fact that a certain region of the country has dirty laundry.

"Well THOSE people have racists too, so why are you so worried about OUR racists?" Because YOUR racists are still a problem!
edit on 25-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Thought I'd share the latest target to be extrapolated from the Confederate flag-banning frenzy.
Liberal Hollywood is about to start eating it's babies.

Films weren't declared free speech until the early 1950s. Gone With the Wind was released in 1939, long before Hollywood became the 'Liberal institution' it is today.

I know there are some contentious points in what I just said. The arts have always had somewhat of a reputation for housing 'Liberal' thinkers, but at the same time Gone With the Wind was made at a time when Hollywood was very different. All of this is assuming that the OP is referring to Hollywood being Liberal and therefore attacking the film as a 'baby' ... I'm not certain this is what you meant, but its how I read it?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Honestly I don't know anyone that isn't from the south that likes this movie anyway.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
LOL...Now, they're gonna come for our underwear:

Officer Fired After Posting Photo Of Himself In Confederate Flag Boxer Shorts On Facebook

CHARLESTON, S.C. (CBS Atlanta)– A North Charleston police officer was fired from his position after posting a photo on Facebook featuring the Confederate flag.

WCIV reports the post, which featured the officer wearing Confederate flag boxer shorts, went viral Thursday after it was posted a few days earlier.

The police chief terminated Sgt. Shannon Dildine’s position, saying the photo questioned his ability to improve trust and instill confidence between citizens and officers.

“Your posting in this manner led to you being publicly identified as a North Charleston Police officer and associated both you and the Department with an image that symbolizes hate and oppression to a significant portion of the citizens we are sworn to serve,” Police Chief Eddie Driggers wrote, as reported by WCIV.

Dildine has ten days to make an appeal.

The action comes as the heated debate over Old South symbols continues after last week’s killing of nine worshipers at a black church in Charleston.

atlanta.cbslocal.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Brings new meaning to the term, "The south will rise again!"

*Apologies*

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Brings new meaning to the term, "The south will rise again!"

*Apologies*

Beezzer...You ain't just whistlin' Dixie!
('Cause, if you were...I'd have to report you to the authorities).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join