It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Columbia University Will Divest From Private Prison Companies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Oh good, lets end this travesty as soon as possible. I think the era for modern slavery can come to end. It might even create some median income jobs because the goods manufactured in these prisons... oh wait... yeah but at least it won't be Americans getting enslaved.

Huff Post

NEW YORK -- Columbia University trustees voted Monday to divest from for-profit prison companies because of concerns about mass incarceration, becoming the first major university to do so.

Columbia, in New York, owned more than 230,000 shares of Corrections Corp. of America, the largest private prison company, headquartered in Nashville, Rolling Stone reported last year. The school no longer owns those shares, law professor Jeff Gordon disclosed in April. The school still holds shares in G4S, a British prison and security services company.

Sadly however, this isn't even a drop in the bucket. I would love to the UC system divest as well. The other sad thing is that people are probably waiting in line to buy these and get on board.

Hopefully we can see this trend. At least the academic community is starting to take steps towards ending modern slavery. When will it catch on>

But, but, but, theres only 1 thing. If this trend continues we will be seeing a surge in unemployment and government assistance as we add millions of criminals to the job lines who will never be able to get their feet on the ground completely due to being locked out of the already fading labor market. Oh yeah, the labor market is dead.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
So they kept all their shares in the worlds largest "security firm" (which also runs both juvenile and adult incarceration facilities) and made a tidy profit off the shares they dumped.

That's progress alright *eyeroll*

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yeah either way its better than continuing to contribute to the problem.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

No I get that. I wasn't arguing that point. I just find it hard to applaud them when they made a boatload of money from "severing ties" and oh by the way, we're keeping all our shares in the foreign company that also runs detention facilities.

How magnanimous of you!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I know... its so disappointing.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Disappointing.

top topics

join