It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turmeric

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Little background information first - I'm suffering from a pinched nerve, frozen shoulder or RSI (whatever, it hurts) and I've been hearing all sorts of glowing reports about the value of Turmeric. It's supposed to reduce the suffering caused by aches and pains amongst other things - apparently.

So tonight I put a hefty dollop in my dinner - beans on toast. My only hot meal of the day. And the bloody stuff is ghastly. I mean foul, just uuurgh. It's 'Orrible with a capital O.

It smells nasty and musty when you cook it and it adds nothing palatable to the food. Oh gawd, I'm suffering the aftermath of eating the ****** *****. (Add your own expletives, for once I've run out of words).

What are people thinking recommending this hellhole substance to unwary cooks? It's especially bad since I'm ill and was hopeful of some relief from the interminable suffering
Talk about adding insult to injury.

All I can do in retaliation is warn everyone against it. Take that, Turmeric. I've made it my mission to put everyone off you. You're outed.

Oh bugger - I'd better wake up in less pain tomorrow or I might murder the wretched amount I've got left. I think it's brought my cough on, as well. Woe - be warned everybody.

*I'm off now - I may be some time......

*Nobody say 'what a relief'

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

I'll make sure to keep away from it. Just out of curiosity, is it like somebody pooped in your mouth? Is it that bad?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Lol. Turmeric is super healthy. It's sounds like to just didn't use it right. How much did you use? It only take a little to get the flavor. I recommend using on food you plan to put on the grill, that where real flavor comes from. I normally just go to an Indian restaurant because they now what they are doing and mine never taste as good as theirs.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
No offense please but, I don't think you're doing it right...
Sounds like way too much!

Pretty sure you are supposed to make tea or just sprinkle some while cooking.
I thought I read somewhere there is a dangerous (maybe) ingredient that could hurt you.....

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I will not lie, I only clicked this due to the fact that the thread was entitled simply "tumeric" and i saw that you had responded

That said OP when you say you put it on beans on toast? Did you you just spoon it on? did you think it was like powdered mustard?

It's meant as a background flavour in soups, stews or curries not a sprinkilng thing?

You can get it fresh, a bit like ginger and it's good for you if you use it correctly as with most things.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
you use it in tiny amounts when cooking , u ate a dollop no wonder you dont like it

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I Googled beans on toast.
I clicked on a 'recipe'.
The were other recipes there for traditional British foods.
One was cheese on toast.
Another was for Marmite on toast.

I am going to write a such a recipe for one that I didn't see there:
Peanut Butter Toast
Ingredients-
2 slices of bread
Peanut butter
Toast bread, spread with peanut butter to taste.

I never realized such simple things required a recipe.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Turmeric is pretty good, but you need to use it as part of a spice blend or component to your seasoning, not as the main flavor agent.

My husband likes to use it occasionally with some other things for seasoning fish. I think he usually mixes turmeric, cumin, garlic and some type of chili powder.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I clicked on a 'recipe'.
One was cheese on toast.

Peanut Butter Toast
Ingredients-
2 slices of bread
Peanut butter

Yeah Brits and cooking don't necessarily go together in the same sentence. Google "spotted dick". LOL

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I clicked on a 'recipe'.
One was cheese on toast.

Peanut Butter Toast
Ingredients-
2 slices of bread
Peanut butter

You have by accident discovered a true secret of the world in your googling.

Beans on marmite toast is a terrible but amazing English secret.

No recipe needed I am sure you can figure it out but trust me you are on to a winner with this.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You are hilarious.
I am sorry you feel unwell and recently OD'd on Turmeric. If it makes you feel any better, I had a very good laugh at your expense. I was having a day of epic fails and you made me feel much better.
Douchey but true.

Hope you feel better soon.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

I clicked on a 'recipe'.
One was cheese on toast.

Peanut Butter Toast
Ingredients-
2 slices of bread
Peanut butter

Yeah Brits and cooking don't necessarily go together in the same sentence. Google "spotted dick". LOL

As an Englishman and chef I have questioned this myself and also my parents as to my heratige.

English food is dreadfull, burned meat and over boiled vegatables is not something to be proud of.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I clicked on a 'recipe'.
One was cheese on toast.

Peanut Butter Toast
Ingredients-
2 slices of bread
Peanut butter

As an Englishman and chef I have questioned this myself and also my parents as to my heratige.

English food is dreadfull, burned meat and over boiled vegatables is not something to be proud of.
Agreed
However you have also produced some great chefs - however they're not cooking "British food" LOL

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Sorry to go off topic and I know this has been put up on ATS before but could not help but think of this. I know this is not what you did OP but...

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I will not lie, I only clicked this due to the fact that the thread was entitled simply "tumeric" and i saw that you had responded

That said OP when you say you put it on beans on toast? Did you you just spoon it on? did you think it was like powdered mustard?

It's meant as a background flavour in soups, stews or curries not a sprinkilng thing?

You can get it fresh, a bit like ginger and it's good for you if you use it correctly as with most things.

Were you curious about what weird thing I might say?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Were you curious about what weird thing I might say?

It was just one of those moments when you you see a thread, see who responded and take the time to grab a beer out of the fridge before you you click and read as you sense it may become "interesting"

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Look up a powdered pain reliever that WORKS, is legal, and can be taken with water. It's not particularly tastey, but it works...this is from someone who has taken opiates (legally prescribed) and stand by this claim. It's called Kratom. Unfortunately it's not cheap, but if your pain is nearly debilitating it's worth it. Good luck with the pain you're experiencing... I know where you're coming from!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I clicked on a 'recipe'.
One was cheese on toast.

Peanut Butter Toast
Ingredients-
2 slices of bread
Peanut butter

Yeah, been there (UK) and ate that (their food).
No argument from me on that one.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Well I have to agree on the taste - LOL. Never was a big curry fan - little curry fan I guess.

Take capsules or make your own (messy). And it takes a while to notice the difference - I'd give it two months of consistent regular use to make a decision. I wouldn't be without turmeric everyday now.

That said, I don't think it will 'fix' a pinched nerve what Tumeric (with some black pepper please) does is fight inflammation which is probably causing some of your pain but not all of it.

It works great, given time, for the normal aches and pains of aging and other systemic inflammations.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Sorry to go off topic and I know this has been put up on ATS before but could not help but think of this. I know this is not what you did OP but...

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks tremendously for posting that!! I've had a rough few weeks and today was no exception. Man that made my day!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join